killing range ?

Liam-1990

Many years a go I shot a pigeon with 32gram 6 cartridge, admittedly it was more luck than judgment, I was on a walk up in Devon, the beater who saw me hit it told me to measure in steps from my place of shooting to the pigeon. The pigeon was crossing so not much deviation from striking point to landing point. It took 96 well placed steps to reach the pigeon. so reckon well over 70 yards!

ps I am only 3ft tall!!!!! :innocent:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was shooting some weeks ago at pigeon, we had 61, I was at right angles to him, I SWEAR, I am a good distance guesser as I practice walking to lamp posts and trees etc: I am not a Bull --****** It must have been 150 yds:. it may well have been a one in a lifetime, but christ it looked good:

The gun Was : FULL& FULL : Both barrels, I sold it him some weeks ago: My mate who gave it me used it on Grouse for many years in Ireland, it was his fathers gun before that, And it had been re-sleeved to make it last:: I did tell him it was tight:lol

let me try please as long as you dont go police bleeding they would sting a tad im sure but would be funny

Think he`d find they`d do a bit more than sting and it certainly wouldn`t be funny to be shot at that range Swiss.

I`ve seen the results too often !

Guys peddling the fact that "you think" 70yds is a safe enough range to be hit by a game load is at best irresponsible at worst dangerously misleading! A friend of mine once shot at a large dog that had been consistently worrying his sheep, his intention was not to kill it but non the less it dropped on the spot a single pellet entering just below the scull. 99 times out of 100 it would have just yelped and run off - this time it didn't! Shotgun pellet ballistics are unpredictable, shot can ball together etc. We have all seen flukey long kills just don't try them and never predict the safe range to be less than around 300 yds as it don't take much to loose an eye and the main artery in the neck aint all that deep

How dose that saying go?

It takes one to know one.

A friend of mine lost a eye after being shot at a range around that at which you would be happy to be shot , he also had another 9 pellets removed from his head.

And you are suggesting its fine to be shot , perhaps me calling you a fool is a little bit of a underestimation.

Guys peddling the fact that "you think" 70yds is a safe enough range to be hit by a game load is at best irresponsible at worst dangerously misleading! A friend of mine once shot at a large dog that had been consistently worrying his sheep, his intention was not to kill it but non the less it dropped on the spot a single pellet entering just below the scull. 99 times out of 100 it would have just yelped and run off - this time it didn't! Shotgun pellet ballistics are unpredictable, shot can ball together etc. We have all seen flukey long kills just don't try them and never predict the safe range to be less than around 300 yds as it don't take much to loose an eye and the main artery in the neck aint all that deep

I`m too much of a coward to really let someone shoot at me, whatever the distance.The point that was being made was that at that distance ( 70 yds )it would be more of a fluke to kill a pigeon with No 6 shot. I will be careful in the future to make my posts more obvious for you so that I don`t` offend,or be irresponsible or misleading. I wouldn`t` condone anyone shooting at anyone or any thing without the intention of killing same, unlike your friend shooting at a dog with the intention of ?, wounding.I think that is far more irresponsible than any comment made on this thread.

I`m too much of a coward to really let someone shoot at me, whatever the distance.The point that was being made was that at that distance ( 70 yds )it would be more of a fluke to kill a pigeon with No 6 shot. I will be careful in the future to make my posts more obvious for you so that I don`t` offend,or be irresponsible or misleading. I wouldn`t` condone anyone shooting at anyone or any thing without the intention of killing same, unlike your friend shooting at a dog with the intention of ?, wounding.I think that is far more irresponsible than any comment made on this thread.

I disagree. Id want the thing to go home with a few pellets lodged in its head.

Might make the owners more responsibale.

Make no mistake if they were my sheep it would have gotten the deer rifle ! He did not intend to kill for political reasons on the other hand many like me couldn't care less for politics. The dog owner was actually OK with it in the end realising the issue was theirs not his. non the less he wanted it off the sheep. There is nothing wrong with a shepherd protecting his stock from a stock worrying dog IF lethal or less than lethal methods are used. If you think that irresponsible then best stay away from sheep country

Make no mistake if they were my sheep it would have gotten the deer rifle ! He did not intend to kill for political reasons on the other hand many like me couldn't care less for politics. The dog owner was actually OK with it in the end realising the issue was theirs not his. non the less he wanted it off the sheep. There is nothing wrong with a shepherd protecting his stock from a stock worrying dog IF lethal or less than lethal methods are used. If you think that irresponsible then best stay away from sheep country

Is it not illegal to shoot at a dog or cat ? surely if the police got wind their licence would be took off them ?