Windows 8 or a Mac???

WGD

I am running Windows 7 at the moment, laptop is due for a change. Have an android phone, which I am tied to for the next 18 months.

Business use, running Office and Sage.

Do I go Windows 8 (don't much like the look of it to be honest) or bite the bullet and go Mac?

I switched from windows to mac last year with a MacBook Pro retina.

I much prefer the mac and billy was very helpful with his advice!

it is worth bearing in mind that a mac can run all windows software through a program called parallels. so even if you end up not liking the Mac OS (which I think is unlikely) you can run windows if you really want to.

Edited by artschool

I had a mac, it went wrong and they gave me a refund because at the time i needed the money so i bought a dell xps instead to save a bit of money. Worst mistake i ever made, **** compared to the mac i had. I dont mean the computer in general i mean windows. You dont realsie how slow and **** it is until you get used to something else.

Edited by eastlincs

I had a mac, it went wrong and they gave me a refund because at the time i needed the money so i bought a dell xps instead to save a bit of money. Worst mistake i ever made, **** compared to the mac i had. I dont mean the computer in general i mean windows. You dont realsie how slow and **** it is until you get used to something else.

What he said...

What he said...

Having said that, does anyone know of any decent and not too expensive DVD/CD burning software/ hardware for the Mac. I occasionally need to write CD-ROM and DVD - based teaching packs, as I have always used it, I mainly use good old Nero, and this is about all I keep my old windows PC for, even then the slowness drives me spare !

Defo go Mac - I bought a MacBook Pro start of last year - best thing I ever bought. the Mrs now has a MacBook Air, my daughter has an iPad, we all have iPhones and I just got Apple TV! Lets just say I am now a firm Mac convert!! They are so easy to use - don't hang, start in a flash and just work! The first time you use the Macbook it asks if you are moving from a PC - you say yes, load some nifty software on the PC and the Mac takes all your files, emails, settings etc from the PC and moves it to the Mac - I was totally set up in 15 minutes!

Having said that, does anyone know of any decent and not too expensive DVD/CD burning software/ hardware for the Mac. I occasionally need to write CD-ROM and DVD - based teaching packs, as I have always used it, I mainly use good old Nero, and this is about all I keep my old windows PC for, even then the slowness drives me spare !

Try Toast Titanium excellent software but is $99. I have also used a free one called Burn - but prefer Toast.

built in to mac's software, you can easily write DVD's ect....

Mac's are sooooo much better than window's machines.

once you change you wont go back.

What they all said above....

Went Mac in 2007 and haven't looked back. iMac is going to be 6 years old and is still working fine, have replaced hard drive and added some memory but everything just works. Got several apple products and love them all.

Even my parents who are in late 70's/early 80's have converted to iMac and love it.

They are a bit more expensive but then a Ford does not cost the same as a BMW......

If you're anywhere near Midlothian I'd be happy to demonstrate the mac operating system.

Edited by Laird Lugton

I teach ICT and Computing in an FE college. My teaching room has jus been kitted out with 27 Mac's. so far I love them, and so do the students.

It runs Office 2012 which is excellent, the only thing I've not got is MS Access, which is a bit of a pain as I need it for a couple of units, and haven't found a workaround solution yet, but someone on here may point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Jonathan

I teach ICT and Computing in an FE college. My teaching room has jus been kitted out with 27 Mac's. so far I love them, and so do the students.

It runs Office 2012 which is excellent, the only thing I've not got is MS Access, which is a bit of a pain as I need it for a couple of units, and haven't found a workaround solution yet, but someone on here may point me in the right direction.

Kind regards

Jonathan

there is no easy work around for ACCESS, you have to run a parallel program, it opens a windows enviroment on your desk top and you run access in that..

no other way....

most people use this :-

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

Edited by jmj121

Thanks for all the responses, seems to be unanimous!

If you're anywhere near Midlothian I'd be happy to demonstrate the mac operating system.

Thank you for that kind offer, my sister has just told me she uses a mac that I can have a play with for a while so will try that out.

Try Toast Titanium excellent software but is $99. I have also used a free one called Burn - but prefer Toast.

built in to mac's software, you can easily write DVD's ect....

Mac's are sooooo much better than window's machines.

once you change you wont go back.

Cheers for that, I have already changed over to the 'Mac side', iPhone, iPad3, and do most of my Mac office work on a full-screen desktop iMac- love them! Trouble is, as I say, I use them all the time, but have kept the old PC in a dark corner for some of the stuff I am too mean to buy again. I have about £2K of software on the PC, which I would need to rebuy a big chunk of to run on the Mac, must admit to being a bit hesitant to install the windows platform on the Mac just for that, or I will just end up using it as a windows machine. I think the message is that I must try harder and work out the get-arounds. Mainly it is Photoshop (full version) full MSoffice suite, and a few other esoteric bits and bobs I have been given/ cadged from others. As my old teacher would say, "must try harder"!

Mac all the way. I run parallels for all the MS office stuff, which allows you to keep both operating systems running at the sametime, but you can also run Bootcamp, pre installed on the mac. Bootcamp will only allow you to run one system at a time! Parallels cost about £65.00 to purchase and you'll also need a full version of windows. Best of luck with your choice.

Depends what you are doing with it, if you don't really know what you doing then get a mac personally I wouldn't be without my xp pro machine parts of the success of mac is they control the hardware and the OS, also their down fall.......AAC can run as a windows client but you can't put OSX (unix based) on none mac hardware..........personally I find the a pita bonjour is quite good oh and BTW fast becoming the target of virus/malware writers due to their demographics of ownership...

Edited by HDAV

Windows 8. How we laughed.

I've been using Macs since 1987, I wouldn't want to ever own or run a PC running windows, I had to work with one once, for around 6 years, the most frustrating years of my life. I frequently lost the plot and used to kick it. Ugly bleeding monstrosity of a thing.

Compared to the new Mac OS, Windows 8 is like a steaming **** with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on it.

Edited by mick miller

Windows 8. How we laughed.

I've been using Macs since 1987, I wouldn't want to ever own or run a PC running windows, I had to work with one once, for around 6 years, the most frustrating years of my life. I frequently lost the plot and used to kick it. Ugly bleeding monstrosity of a thing.

Compared to the new Mac OS, Windows 8 is like a steaming **** with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on it.

Would have to more or less agree, especially about the laughing!

If you have a PC which is "old but good" try a Linux flavour of your choice.... Ubuntu is mine.... from

www.ubuntu.com

Best of all its FREE!, as are most of the bits of "extra" software you'll need...