What gun are you using?

wildfowler.250

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disliked the idea of an auto for many years, too much hassle when swapping between duck and goose shells etc. But got one when I got the double eight, the idea being that I had a light weight twelve to take out along with the heavy (14 lb) eight , prop the eight up in case the geese came over and use the twelve for any ducks which came by. It was a great idea but I very rarely did it, in fact I lost so much confidence with the eight (missing a lot) that I would pick the twelve every time if the geese came over!

Anyway, still not a fan of the auto and would probably shoot much better overall if I used my o/u, but it is undeniable that the third shot can be very useful, especially if you have crippled a bird with the second shot.

I resisted using a Semi-Auto for years and just did not like them, probably for no other reason than I preferred a traditional SBS. My lad convinced me to at least give them a try and I've never looked back since. I now use one almost exclusively for all my fowling. I can't say I find the third shot that much of a bonus but not having to worry about the wood or the mud etc,etc is a god send.

Cheers for all the replies guys :good: looks like the bulk of us are using a semi auto,(suspected that).

Have a notion just to use an over and under from now one but I think I'd miss the 3rd shot on the geese. It's not unusual to knock 3 out if a skien. It's also very handy if the 2nd bird needs a follow up shot.

Question is do I need to try and shoot 3 birds every time or just stick to two barrels? I've had one triple on mallard this year. There was also one teal that I got 3rd shell which saved the day. So apart from that, I don't think I'd need the auto for the ducks :hmm:

I have never shot the triple with three shots. Perhaps because I wouldn't actually try? The third shot is there as a reserve for wounders and also so I only need to fill via the mag tube - never effectively being empty! Missing twice and firing a third off is just a waste of ammo and something you learn quite quickly not to do

Tough decision :hmm:

Bakal MP 125, 3 1/2" Magnum. used mostly on the shore but I also use it for inland geese decoying. never used the 3rd shot much on the shore.

I have on the odd time taken it out on the pigeons and if I use a 65mm cartradge (and you can do the maths) I can manage an extra round in the mag. I find I am more likley to use the 3rd shot on the pigeons rather than on geese or duck.

It cycles every thing I have used even the odd 24g on the clays.

If I am flighting duck on a pond or splash inshore I will use my Franche O/U sporter. I took this down the shore one dry windy night and it was almost sand blasted, took an age to get it cleaned.

BBL

I resisted using a Semi-Auto for years and just did not like them, probably for no other reason than I preferred a traditional SBS. My lad convinced me to at least give them a try and I've never looked back since. I now use one almost exclusively for all my fowling. I can't say I find the third shot that much of a bonus but not having to worry about the wood or the mud etc,etc is a god send.

+1

I resisted the semi auto for a long time, I suppose i always thought they are a bit 'redneck' but it's certainly the tool for the job. I was the same with my coat though. I used a Barbour long shoreman smock for about 8 years but in really cold weather it is almost impossible to move and not very warm. Modern Gore Tex lined coats are the way forward too! I suppose its just progression! :)

Bakal MP 125, 3 1/2" Magnum. used mostly on the shore but I also use it for inland geese decoying. never used the 3rd shot much on the shore.

I have on the odd time taken it out on the pigeons and if I use a 65mm cartradge (and you can do the maths) I can manage an extra round in the mag. I find I am more likley to use the 3rd shot on the pigeons rather than on geese or duck.

It cycles every thing I have used even the odd 24g on the clays.

If I am flighting duck on a pond or splash inshore I will use my Franche O/U sporter. I took this down the shore one dry windy night and it was almost sand blasted, took an age to get it cleaned.

BBL

I wished I had bought a Bakal MP 125