What gun are you using?

wildfowler.250

Just asking this out of curiosity as my maxus is needing repaired and I've been using the O/U 12 bore for the last few flights. I have only had one occasion where I've missed not having the 3rd shell and I seem to be getting on quite well the the O/U as it has a bit more weight to the swing.

So who is using 3 shots,sbs or whatever? One of my mates leaves his xtrema2 at home and uses his silver pigeon all the time instead now,(I'm thinking of following a similar pattern).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a camo 425 Browning waterfowl i have been using most of this season and its my go to gun at the moment , i fitted it with a few different chokes and ended up with a briley extended mod in the lower barrel and briley extended imp mod in the top. I do normaly use autos though it has to be said.

Edited by B B

I use my benneli SBE2 on the shore or flighting geese but much prefer my silver pigeon which I use for everything else if just after duck on the shore and little chance of geese I will take the silver pigeon.

Think my next will be a 3-1/2 inch o/u

Last season I used an SBE2 for fowling and a beretta 687eell classic for game shooting every time I swapped guns my shooting suffered for a couple of flights, so I found myself taking the game gun more, this did it no harm but not something I wanted to do long term, so this spring I bought a 3" beretta 686e, both guns went off to Malcolm Jenkins in Luton to have them matching from the fit, and an ISIS recoil reducer, then the 686 was camo dipped by hydro graphics. My shooting has now become more consistent, being a pound heavier the 686 is not as good in the evening so I tend to take the 687, but most of the shooting I do is fighting and decoying in the daylight and the extra weight has been good for this. I have had the same number of ducks this year as ever for far less shots, not being a goose chaser I have not felt I needed a 3 1/2" , for the few geese I shoot it's been hevishot 42gm 2's. I've shot everything from Canada's to teal with both guns and not felt under gunned.

Edited by Jono 4

For 90% of my fowling I'm using an old AYA SxS with 2 3/4" chambers. Loaded with light (24 & 28gr) low pressure high speed steel I'm killing ducks as far as I can comfortably shoot and as far as I ever did with lead!

The only geese we get down here (apart from the very odd greylag and whitefront) are Canadas of which I don't particularly rate as a sporting bird so have no desire to bag loads. The few that I do shoot for the pot, are generally taken with the same gun using either 36gr bismuth (got some to use up) or homeloaded 32gr high speed steel. On the few occassions that I do go out and out goosing I use a bolt action 10ga.

Strikes me the ole double barrel gun is coming back into fashion :good:

SX3 .

Used to do all my 'fowling with a 3" browning waterfowl and still do all my game shooting with it, although it is a bit battered to say the very least now! I think I would shoot better overall if I returned to my browning for my wild fowling.

Anyone know of anywhere selling the non camo version on the Browning waterfowl O/U new ?