pretty sure I almost got shot.

Marc Z

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most keepers I know would not appreciate being told their shooting was dangerous. If I wanted to secure beating or a good relationship I would keep quite. When consulting keepers you are likely to get slated and laughed at by the keeper and his friends. Keepers are people who believe they know about shooting than anyone else, confronting him will have little impact with no gain to yourself.

Edited by zipdog

Personally I would go about it like this,

Have a walk up to see the keeper, introduce yourself and tell him you walk your dog round the footpaths.

Ask him if you could exchange mobile numbers so you can give him a bell and let him know when you are walking up there as you seen him shooting the other day and heard a round go past.

Be honest and say its to keep both of you safe but you will also give him a bell if you see anything that you think he needs to know about.

Job done.

Your safe, the keeper is safe and you made a friend.....jmho

So sod everyone else who walks that path, keeper needs to know whether it was him, poachers or whatever, introduce yourself let him know your a shooting man (not an anti or such like) let him know there was a near miss, accuse no one, thats his job to find out who

Most keepers I know would not appreciate being told their shooting was dangerous. If I wanted to secure beating or a good relationship I would keep quite. When consulting keepers you are likely to get slated and laughed at by the keeper and his friends. Keepers are people who believe they know about shooting than anyone else, confronting him will have little impact with no gain to yourself.

So you're saying that it's better to put a chance for shooting permission before the lives of other people?

It sounds like a shooter is dangerous, this needs rectifying before someone gets killed.

Some people would be horrified if they knew they had nearly shot someone, if they aren't worried they should not be shooting.

Not sod everyone else at all, once he knows there may have been a near miss I am sure most keepers and any shooters for that matter would think twice about safety next time they are shooting.

The matter has been brought to his attention in a way that can not be mis-construed as anything other than a genuine attempt to keep everyone safe.

As I said, it's just my opinion.

So people walking in the countryside, birdwatching, rambling etc have to phone the farmer/gamekeeper to let them know they might be in the area just in case they decide to take some shots at you??? This country is getting worse.

Phone the police and have his guns removed, then ask him if he needs some pest control doing. Permission granted.

Do what you feel is right.

so any of us could have guns lifted on the basis of an unqualified report of an unsafe shot Ritchie, no evidence no nothing. If it worked like that the antis would have a field day, In this case we have only the original posters version of events and not the person using the firearm we don't even know it actually was a footpath etc. The time for action is past it should have been to make a noise and fuss at the time rather than days later and personally I'd have been yelling well in case there was a follow up shot.

Round here we get it regularly on pheasant days people petrified about being shot despite guns being well away and all shots in the air doesn't stop the odd rambler getting upset though

The op states in his post that he was on a public footpath.

If it had been me i would have shouted at the keeper to let him know i was there as soon as the incident happened.

Then gone and had a word with him.

If he had been apologetic then fine.

If he had told me where to go then i would have reported him.

But something should have been said at the time.Still not too late to have a word with him.

Might make him think before he does it again.

blimey, some good and not so good replies on here...

if it was me, i would just 'bump' into him some time soon, and mention what happened and just say you wanted to make him aware incase it was poachers, as your a fellow shooter yourself and you know how many issues poachers can cause...

no blame pointed towards him, and its opened up a shooting rapport with him and his lifestyle. offer to go lend a hand if he ever needs it... you never know your luck.

Same happened to me two years ago when i was out shooting, was walking along a dirt track on one of my permissions when there was a shot then a wizz of a bullet going past me. Then another one went past, i went over to the gate and saw two people across the field standing in the hedge one had a rifle. I give them a shout to let them no what had happened, they came over and were apologetic about it. And it ended up we are now shooting buddies even though we live 30 miles apart, so i would have a word with the keeper sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.

so any of us could have guns lifted on the basis of an unqualified report of an unsafe shot Ritchie, no evidence no nothing. If it worked like that the antis would have a field day, In this case we have only the original posters version of events and not the person using the firearm we don't even know it actually was a footpath etc. The time for action is past it should have been to make a noise and fuss at the time rather than days later and personally I'd have been yelling well in case there was a follow up shot.

Round here we get it regularly on pheasant days people petrified about being shot despite guns being well away and all shots in the air doesn't stop the odd rambler getting upset though

My line on getting his guns removed was tongue in cheek, if you read it correctly. He wants to ask for permission, with the gamekeeper not having his guns any longer would make it much easier.....

I was refering to the poster telling him to phone the farmer/gamekeeper everytime he decides to wants to walk the footpath. Which is ridiculous.

blimey, some good and not so good replies on here...

if it was me, i would just 'bump' into him some time soon, and mention what happened and just say you wanted to make him aware incase it was poachers, as your a fellow shooter yourself and you know how many issues poachers can cause...

no blame pointed towards him, and its opened up a shooting rapport with him and his lifestyle. offer to go lend a hand if he ever needs it... you never know your luck.

Funny how it's perfectly fine for a gamekeeper to let off shots at possible poachers...I would be concerned he would be firing at people at all!

Not sure I would want to know the chap, didn't know that it was permissable to let off warning shots in the countryside.

My line on getting his guns removed was tongue in cheek, if you read it correctly. He wants to ask for permission, with the gamekeeper not having his guns any longer would make it much easier.....

I was refering to the poster telling him to phone the farmer/gamekeeper everytime he decides to wants to walk the footpath. Which is ridiculous.

I know I would rather make a phone call than have an intimate conversation with a .243 round, there are lads that shoot over a place I have permission to lamp with my dog matey so a quick call to ask them if they are shooting that night keeps everyone safe.

I have also been lamping with the dog on a large estate with one of the keepers, the other keeper was out with his .243 ( unknown to me until we pulled up beside him in the gator ) and I called it a day there and then as he didn't seem as concerned as I thought he should be about where we were heading next.

When any bit of ground has multiple users then communication makes everyone's life a whole lot easier.

Funny how it's perfectly fine for a gamekeeper to let off shots at possible poachers...I would be concerned he would be firing at people at all!

Not sure I would want to know the chap, didn't know that it was permissable to let off warning shots in the countryside.

I don't think anybody has mentioned shooting at poachers.

Kev.

From possible fact to total fiction and back again.

What would you like someone to do if the roles were reversed but the doubt still existed ?

Start there and you wont go far wrong.

I would as soon report a shooter for a 'possible, not so near maybe, ricochet/ miss' as stick my finger in my eye.

If someone reported me for this (not possible as I'm 100% safe - I think, maybe) i'd certainly want to stick my fingers in both his eyes, almost, maybe.

erm, please go back and read my post again, this time with your glasses on please.... :rolleyes: lol

I don't think anybody has mentioned shooting at poachers.

Kev.

thanks, your right, i didnt, lol. :good:

Load of tripe - all the do gooders...a few weeks ago on a local shoot a family complained that shot was "flying past the house" the closest drive was probably 500 yards away - I would bet the shot was going up and being blown across and falling back to earth.

It is extremely hard to judge how close a round is as many things can influence the sound (bushes, walls, etc)

The title says it all for me - "pretty sure"....

As said - if everyone took this approach we would all have our certs revoked! I hear bangs every weekend in my back garden but know well enough they are shots from the surrounding area.

If you stand in front but to the side of a muzzle of a big rifle it is way way different to being in the trigger...sound doesn't give a good indication of distance (like if you watch a drive from a distance you see the birds hit before you hear the report)

Regards,

Gixer