pretty sure I almost got shot.

Marc Z

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try to bump into him soonest get talking then ask after a while if he has an issue with poachers as you tought you saw someone shooting at deer over the footpath in the dark, round come fairly close to you walking the dog, you think they went to ground after this disgusting what people will do now a days it so hard to find a good permission.........

On the other hand the shot may have been further away than the op thought, only the keeper knows where he was in relation to the quarry and what was in between. On the basis not many will shoot through hedges etc I'd suggest the time for shouting loudly was at the time rather than later

Because gaining shooting permission is more important than preventing someone potentially getting shot?

To the op, you need to bring it to someones attention.

not in my opinion, but the op is asking for advice, see post number 8.

at the end of the day its the op's moral decision to make.

here is another scenario. lets say the op goes and has a polite word and the keeper marks him as a newcomer do gooder trouble maker, the keeper may continue to shoot as he pleases.

alternatively he could say nothing, go and get permission to shoot, and then once he has become friendly with the keeper draw his attention to the dangers of shooting in that area.

Edited by artschool

hi my name is marc

??

i'm new to the area and do some shooting and beating and would be very greatful if i could help you out with beating next season blah blah blah

oh yes nice to meet you, sure we can sort something out, do you have a steady dog?

yes / no / may be(?) blah blah blah also here is my number if you need a lamp man or a hand on the shoot and i'm free i'd be glad to get out and give you a hand

oh thanks, i'll bear it in mind ( thinks what a nice bloke whats he after??)

oh by the way i was out at xxx and seen some deer next thing i knew was a whizzzzzz like a bullet passing close by, just thought i'd let you know in cased someone is poaching

what? where? when?

blah blah blah

thanks for that will i keep an eye out

and so on, easy and lets him know just in case it was not him

I find some of the relies on here shocking.

Report him?

Say nothing in the hope of gaining shooting permission?

Get to know him so it can be mentioned?

You need to go speak with the person, it sounds like you may have come close to being hit. This is a very serious matter.

His reaction should tell you where to go from there. If he says your talking rubbish, that there was several feet between you and the bullet, no danger as your still alive etc then he needs reporting to the police (perhaps the FLD would be best as they can look into preventing him from shooting if he is dangerous, the regular police couldn't do much). If the person isn't bothered then it's a fatality waiting to happen and it's your duty to do something before someone dies.

On the other hand, if you speak to him and he's shocked at what happened and is grateful that you told him and that nobody has been injured or killed then that should do, if he learns from it and cares. Then you can go from there regarding getting to know him, getting permission etc.

Doing nothing is not an option (do you want the death of a person on your hands by not looking at this?) and beating around the bush or reporting him is a silly way to start.

Be polite and firm and see where it goes.

Come on where is the evidence to take it any further?

OK, so it would just be your word against his. If it is reported it probably won't cost him his certificate, but if anything like it has happened before (which is possible) or if anything similar happens in the future then there is a greater chance of a dangerous shooter being stopped.

If this person is dangerous it should be dealt with, sitting back on the assumption that nothing will/can be done isn't going to help anyone.

We have the person reporting it not knowing how far away the shot was and it was close. It's straight forward of you can see the keeper and the quarry then you know if you are in the middle. Sounds like he heard the shot but how close he was is anyone's guess, if you were within 100 yards then a simple shout would have let him know you thought it was too close

There has been some total nonesense talked on this thread,

I think i would have shouted there and then, after i got over the shock, but since u never

I'd do wot many have suggested give his door a knock and have a quiet conversation with him and ask if it could be poachers? type thing' but don't point finger/blame him, it may well not have been him in the mule (mate/helper/son/boss?)

As for gaining permissions there is very very few keepers that would let a complete stranger onto there ground with a firearm, possibly years down the line after he knows u or u are valued member of beating team. But stuff like that is generally saved for regular boys who have built up trust over years

Yes that keeper will probably be conected and know locals but that is not always the case and if u travel a small distance u will be outside that group/clique. It would defo not stop me raising my concerns

Just have a quiet word with him, it does make you more aware, He make have taken a wrong shot,, Not a Big deal now, but you may save someone else making a complaint, My son is a Gamekeeper, and i`ll bet he would like to know if this happened, it may be poachers mate, Let him know, he won`t bite your head off, and you may gets something out of it, dare I say a bit of pigeon shooting, which I am sure you NUDGE a comment in.lol..

Go on but be polite, he will thank you for it no doubt:

Edited by subsonicnat

Can't believe some of the replies on this. Insinuating somehow it was almost my fault getting into this situation because I wasn't walking around in hi-viz, flashing a torch about and shouting. Thanks though for the helpful replies.

I've decided, as a rather non-confrontational person, to write the chap a quick letter, unsigned, plastic wallet it and hang it on his route through the woods next to my house. I'll be honest and friendly and not sounding like an anti just having a pop. I'll mention it could well have just been a ricochet etc etc but still too close for comfort.

This way he'll know what happened, and I'll still be on a clean slate with him.

Really brought it home to me how easily accidents could happen.

I woulld also do it face to face, if u are calm and not pointing the finger most keepers would appreciate it. (Dunno wot time this took place at but legal to shoot deer till 1hr after sunset, if after that u should not be shooting deer legally,)

The problem with a writen letter is he may never see it or may totally misinterept it, or may just think it is some anti. Also the rest of village who walk there dogs along that path may see it and the rumour mill will blow it all out of proportion (not trying to say it should be treated lightly) but probably better to keep it etween u and the keeper.

I also wouldnae worry massively if the keeper does mark ur card, (if the keeper got upset he would not be worth bothering with anyway) generally keepers are quite cliquey but also don't always get on with each other so the fact 1 doesn't like u could be a plus point with others

We're all assuming that he was shooting near the op. Could it not be sound traveling downhill for the initial thump and maybe a ricochet from far away? What's to say he was even shooting in that direction? Stand behind a gun then in front (not literaly) I'm sure the sound would be pretty much the same?

Marc -- similar thing happened to me a few years ago.

we were out lamping with airrifles on my mates land ( his fathers 400 acres , sheep grazing ) . up on top of the hill we could hear and see headlights of a 4x4 on adjacent land . no problem there , so we just carry on .

heard 1st gunshot , thought it must be the keeper out foxing , then few minutes later a second gunshot and whiizzz as a bullet flys past us .

the noise alone was enough to **** you up .

Anyway cut a long story short i had 2 options contact the police or approach the keeper , i did not want to go to the police as i had no concrete proof of who it was on that hill top that night.

so i/we approached this keeper who was a real big head/******** , when he realised who we were he could,nt appoligise enough and said he thought it was poachers back again and the shot was way , way above our heads.

suppose i could of had him arrested , loose his fac , loose his job , or kick the f out of him but instead accepted his appoligy and used it to my advantage.

from time to time me and my mate talk about that night and i regret ( sometimes ) not reporting him to the authorites

Marc - you do whats best for you mate , you have to live with it , if you want action taking then go for it.