anyone use a rowing machine in gym?

eddoakley

Anyone else on here do any rowing in the gym?

I ask because I started using one a few months ago having never really used one before and am pretty pleased with my efforts so far.

I started hitting the gym about october and after drinking and eating too much all through december I set my self a target of rowing 10miles in a session by the end of this month.

I have just done 16500m (at the highest resistance setting) in about 1hr 15.

Have not spoken to anyone who does that distance so dont know how the times compare.

I am sure someone here will be able to let me know how much quicker I need to be doing it.

Thanks in advance

Edd

Not distance rowing but power interval training.

500m sprints followed by 2 minutes rest.

Try to stay inside 10 seconds of the first set.

So if you do 500m in 1:50 keep going until your sets go outside 2:00.

My mates PB is 11. Mine is 8.

The form on the rower is very important you see a lot of people with **** technique and form. This will lead to injury and poor results so make sure your doing it right.

Regardless of time comparison, you have achieved your goal and you should be very proud of that. Going from nothing to that is staggering. I use the gym a lot and the thought of doing that fills me with dread. It's a long way and a long time so very well done. Your Hands and back must have been ruined.

If you are using a concept 2 rower, do bear in mind that for competition purposes the resistance level can be set to anything you want. Higher resistance will be tougher to pull, but the machine racks up metres faster. Lower is easier, and the machine counts them up slower.

Not distance rowing but power interval training.

500m sprints followed by 2 minutes rest.

Try to stay inside 10 seconds of the first set.

So if you do 500m in 1:50 keep going until your sets go outside 2:00.

My mates PB is 11. Mine is 8.

The form on the rower is very important you see a lot of people with **** technique and form. This will lead to injury and poor results so make sure your doing it right.

This is a good start, then move onto 500m@1:50x10 with 1 min rest then the next day 1000m@1:50x6 with 1 min rest, most short distances i aim to cover a total of 6k altogether.....Also there is the 2k challenge that is to do it under 7min my best is 6:54 and that hurts, well it did me.

As for you time for 16500, I know in a lot of the training routines they talk about 10000 in 40 mins so hopefully that will help

Edited by SimonT

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I am pretty please with the progress.

To be honest I rekon I could have gone on a bit further as the only thing I was really struggling with was the dead ar se!

As someone said I find that tecnique is very important. Also for those that asked it is a concept2 machine.

I think I will stick to the distance and just try to improve on time as I think another 3spm should be easy enough.

Edd

Very nice going - I still do a bit of C2 rowing, though I find my back suffers with any long distances

Had a look at my old concept 2 ranking last night - best I ever managed for the half marathon (21,097 metres) was 1:25:57.8.

You can get a seat pad from concept 2 online shop (or possibly from the evilbay), if you intend doing a lot of distance rowing, then it's very good

Get on you bike as well rowing and cycling go very well together. Uses the same muscle groups but breaks thing up bit so you don't become bored.

Doing a bit on the bike too. Have my 5 mile (8k) time down to 14.17 at level 8 resistance and 10mile (16k) to 32minutes.

Not really timed the 32k but I dont slow too much.

Did 3-4 mile on bike after the 10mile row last night.

I am waiting for an op on my knee so cant run at the moment but as soon as thats done I will be on the roads,

I have lost about 2 1/2 stone since October and considering my over indulgence in December and not being able to run I think thats pretty good.

Will have a look on line for a seat for the rower.

Cheers

Edd

Edd, if you have a concept rower you can get the row pro software, which enables you then to join the competitions they have where you row against others online.

I dont know how you can sit on a rower for that long without getting bored, unless you have some nice lycra views

Edd, if you have a concept rower you can get the row pro software, which enables you then to join the competitions they have where you row against others online.

I dont know how you can sit on a rower for that long without getting bored, unless you have some nice lycra views

lol. I wish i had some views, unfortunately its in front of the mirror :-0

I have to content myself with singing and watching the faces of the "normal" people.

I dont think I will be racing anyone or entering competitions lol but I am please with my progress.

I have a mate who is training for a half marathon, and at 6'3" and 20+stone that is no mean feat!! I am trying to row a bit further than he runs each time and cycle twice as far so thats some motivation.

Cheers

Edd

How anyone does any endurance training like that beats me. Leaving me alone with my mind for that long is dangerous!

Are there any EDUCATED minds on here who KNOW how this affects the back?

I enjoyed rowing in the gym, but I have a dodgy lower back (possibly slipped a disc a few months ago but unconfirmed, bloody hurt, I know that much!). I know it would benefit from strengthening my core and I suspect rowing is very good for doing the back?

I need to get back into something. Running isn't an option, I love it but too high impact at the moment...cycling I find very tedious! Cross trainers don't really seem to do anything much!

The C2 rower can, if your posture isn't perfect for delivering the power, be quite painful

Best place to go is http://concept2.co.uk/training/guide

You can sownload the full training guide from there, and it was written by some of the world authorities on rowing, whether for general fitness or for world class athletes (Jurgen Grobler, for example). There are sections on technique, etc there.

I enjoyed rowing in the gym, but I have a dodgy lower back (possibly slipped a disc a few months ago but unconfirmed, bloody hurt, I know that much!). I know it would benefit from strengthening my core and I suspect rowing is very good for doing the back?

I need to get back into something. Running isn't an option, I love it but too high impact at the moment...cycling I find very tedious! Cross trainers don't really seem to do anything much!

best thing if you have a bad back I found was swimming.

Well after reading some of the stuff on here about distances I decided to support my mate in his half marathon attempt by setting myself the challenge of rowing a half marathon and cycling a half marathon straight after.

I thought that as it seems quite a good challenge (27 miles for a fat unfit bloke who has only been rowing for 3-4 months!!!) that I might print a few sponsorship forms and raise a few quid for charity while I am at it.

Imagine my dismay when I went to the gym and found that they have had a bit of a refurb and replaced the c2 machines with something which you need a degree in computing to work and that asks you your life history before you can start using it and even then seems to be designed for 6 stone women who cant pull against any sort of resistance or 16 stone women who are told that they are burning 500 calories a minute.

Anyone selling a C2 rower?

Edd

I do go on the rowing machines but I prefer to leave the oars alone and just drift.... :good:

haha. makes things easier i suppose but kinda spoils the point for me.

If i could go for a curry but leave the fork alone too then thqt might work but i cant see that happening.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

Swimming or aqua aerobics, then move on up to specific low impact resistans training.

A neoprene lumber support belt might help too.