Another morning with the big bores.

aister

My friend Robbie finally made it down with his big guns this morning and we found ourselves under a flight line at dawn. Robbie was using his Tolley double 8 and he gave me his Baker double 4 again. Robbie was just a bit too far off to the side of the flight line but he he made good use of the one and only chance he had and bagged a single greylag. I was in a good position under the bulk of the geese that we saw but most was too high for a shot.

The first 5 greylags that came to me was fairly low so I had to take the shot well out in front, I swung the huge gun on to the leading bird and down he came about 60 yards in front, the remaining 4 split and I swung on to the 2 on the left and to my delight I dropped one of them, a right and a left with the double 4. I had a couple more bangs but failed to connect, the next bang had quite a surprise in store.

A group of 8 geese peeled away from a skein to investigate my calls, I swung the gun up onto the leading bird, pulled the trigger and the next I knew I was on my back flat out and unsure as to what had just happened. Out the corner of my eye I saw the bird falling so I sent the Max out and regained my feet, the gun was laying about 5 feet behind me thankfully on muddy grass and not stones. I thought something about Robbies reloading had gone seriously wrong but when I opened the gun I found it had been a double discharge. I would never describe his 27lb double 4 as lively but by god she seemed quite lively as she disappeared over my shoulder with my trigger finger buckled in the trigger guard after 8oz of AAA left the muzzle, but on the bright side the dog came back with a greylag.

There was more geese in the air but after that carry on we called it a day with 4 birds in the bag. I think the big gun might need a trip to the gun doctor for a check up to make sure that doesn't happen again.

post-29954-0-90523600-1359199680_thumb.jpg

Good too hear you did not hurt your self mate ! & a good job your finger was not injured or worse ! has the Baker got an articulated front trigger ?

I was out with my 8 this morn but only got off one shot & made a complete balls of it ! but stacks of geese going into a field lower down from us but thats the way it goes ! but still a bit of time left yet .

ATB

Edited by Pole Star

Thanks for all your comments. I am not sure if the 4 has an articulated front trigger pole star, it was the front trigger I was pulling and I think my whole finger ended up between the trigger and the guard and as it went up and back it bent my poor digit back around. My finger is good now but my shoulder is sore and stiff, like the worst dead arm ever ha ha.

Here is some pics of the double 4 as requested. She aint a pretty gun by any means but she packs a punch, at both ends.

post-29954-0-31380900-1359310130_thumb.jpg

post-29954-0-19965400-1359310142_thumb.jpg My right and left from yesterday.

post-29954-0-80631600-1359310919_thumb.jpg A 4 bore shell next to a 12 bore shell.

post-29954-0-18506500-1359310864_thumb.jpg After a morning out last year.

Look at the pic aister & the trigger is not articulated at least not in the usual fashion if you take a close look at the pic of my Edward Whistler & notice the top of the trigger is pinned & this saves your finger from a bashing when you pull the back trigger .

I feel sorry for the shoulder aister !! I have a stone built shooting butt like a grouse butt on the lock edge & I was sat in there one day with my 8b pointing straight up while resting on my knee & had an accidental diss charge ( well I am human too ! ) & bloody hell did that hurt ! I thought for a moment that it had broken my leg ! , had too limp all the way back home ! .

Edited by Pole Star

I'm not ashame to say.....

I would be very scared and some bum twiching if I had to shoot that shotgun, looks impressive.

Dont panic Highbird big bore guns are not as frightening as some think they are ! remember the weight of the gun absorbs most of the recoil & note I have one very mangled right leg & a below knee artificial left leg & I was only on my back once in the mud when I took a shot at a low goose flying along the field which put me off balance ! .

Its a case of taking a firm grip of the weapon & keeping one foot behind you when you first shoot one & then when you have got over the first initial shock of the recoil it then becomes a peace of cake & then the fun starts & you want another go ! .

I had a Tolley single 4b which had 4in brass cases & we took it to our annual end of season shoot for a bit of fun at the clays & the lads here had never seen such a monster & when they saw the brass cases clunk into the breech like it was an artillery piece they all chickened out. Until they saw peg leg have a go that is ! then one by one they all wanted a go & they loved it ! .

I have fired all sorts guns from big game rifles in Africa to 4 & 8s ect but yet to try a 2bore & certainly hope to one day ! incidentally I know a collector who has a Charles Osbourn 2 bore & he has never fired it !!! .

As for aister ? well he is the only big bore user I have known who has had the most interesting & exotic experience of a double discharge with a 4bore !!!