semi auto or pump

Elmer Fudd 1

Much as I love my A400, I now find myself always reaching for the Supernova when I go out. If another shooter at a clay ground decides not to talk to me just because my left arm moves backwards and forwards when I shoot, I'm not all that bothered. In fact, a big part of why I got one was because I got talking to someone at Cloudside who had one, and kindly let me have a go. I never thought I'd 'prefer' the pump, but I do. Never did like fashion much.....

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned two hatsan semi's and now have a hatsan pump, I've not had the pump that long so am still getting use to it but so far I love it. Ive noticed with a semi i tended to rush shots off where as now I've got that extra second to compose my self and think about what I'm doing and I think it's actually helped my shooting.

I've owned two hatsan semi's and now have a hatsan pump, I've not had the pump that long so am still getting use to it but so far I love it. Ive noticed with a semi i tended to rush shots off where as now I've got that extra second to compose my self and think about what I'm doing and I think it's actually helped my shooting.

I was waiting for this comment!

Perfect :yes::good:

U.

They just said at the shooting ground because you cant clearly see that a semi and a pump are unloaded it was considered too dangerous to have on a clay shoot

That's why it's important to clear the gun after you've shot a stand and use a breech-flag.

When shooting a PSG stage, the end-of-stage procedure will go something like:

[a] Empty gun of all ammo.

Present gun, action open, so that the RO (Range Officer) can check it.

[c] Shoulder gun and - still pointing down range - drop the hammer.

[d] Open action.

[e] Engage safety catch.

[f] Put breech-flag into place.

[g] Rotate gun either muzzle up or down.

I still go through the full safety procedure when I've finished a stand (sans RO) every time I shoot clays. It's very quick to do although, sometimes, non-PSG shooters will wonder if I'm trying to shoot a non-existant pair of clays.

I *really* dislike the "I loaded two and shot two so the gun must empty" attitude of many clay shooters. As demonstated by a shooter on a local club's practice range a couple of years ago, this type of shooter can come to grief when they load *three* rounds into their gun. (The chap lost part of his foot.)

Regards,

Mark.

I'm with you mark, even if I know I've shot the rounds I've loaded I ALWAYS physicly check that the gun is safe... it becomes part of owning/handling something more complex/involving than an O&U, I regard the gun as unsafe unless I've checked, even if I get it out the cabinet knowing I put it in there safe I'll check it again.

if I get it out the cabinet knowing I put it in there safe I'll check it again.

Funny you should mention that - that's exactly what *I* do, too. :) (And I just thought it were a bad case of OCD...)

I think the real danger with visual checks is that, through long term experience of doing this, that we see what we *expect* to see rather than what's actually *there*.

This is guarded against, a little, by the fact that PSG shooters may not know *exactly* how many rounds they've fired and, thus, how many are left in the gun. (Clay shooters will nearly always be checking an empty gun.)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

Im with you on this being ex forces i was always trained to check and recheck my weapon every time i left the range or picked up the weapon. I have been on many a range day when the local pigeon club have been invited along as geusts of the regiment and were swiftly thrown off due to very poor safety drills

check and recheck my weapon every time i left the range or picked up the weapon.

I wasn't in the forces but during my schooldays I used to shoot a lot with the cadets,and visited bases up and down the country.All firearms training was overseen by regulars,and safety was drummed into us.Even as civilians in our handgun shooting days,safety was paramount,with one of us designated 'range officer' and all firearms were 'cleared' by more than one person before leaving the firing point.

Mate and me still prove each others guns clear when out lamping / stalking etc.Even so,the muzzles on any gun are never waved 'through' anyone or even pointed in someones general direction;it's plain bad manners if nothing else.

Looking 'through' your barrels when stood at a peg/cage,isn't a bad habit to get into either,especially on rough shoots when it is dead easy to 'stub' a barrel into the ground when crawling over/under obstacles.It is easily done with auto's and pumps also....just ensure the breech is empty first!

On the pump you can also pull back the action when moving around with an empty gun just so people know if you don't have a flag, same can be done on a semi.

Checking one is visually clear is the same with any gun, ou or semi, pump IMO, check breach, check receiver and check tube generally can be done in one look at the right angle.

you say local stores dont have any rugby gun shop has one (secondhand) they will let you try at there local groun barby sporting. if not give me a pm your welcome to try mine :good:

i was talking mainly about stores just a little closer to home ie Northampton gun, sporting targets and rk stock craft.

that being said i have been to rugby gun.

its so close to the show next week now that ill probably have to kindly decline that offer and just try one there! thanks for the offer though

i was talking mainly about stores just a little closer to home ie Northampton gun, sporting targets and rk stock craft.

that being said i have been to rugby gun.

its so close to the show next week now that ill probably have to kindly decline that offer and just try one there! thanks for the offer though

no problem offer is there if you change your mind/ dont find somone that wil let you try one at the show :good:

A good guy with a pump can be just as fast as an auto when you have to actually hit something, all it takes is practice, earlier in the thread Mark says he has shot against some of the best PSG pumpers & they dont come close to an auto for speed, I suspect he has only shot against guys from the UK who are far from the best out there, if you take the likes of Luigi Silverstroni or Paulo Zambai from Italy or Roger Karp of Finland then your gonna get your Butt kicked, especially if you miss as often as Mark :lol:

No offence meant mate ! :)

Pumps are cheaper, if your on a budget forget the top of the line auto's & the cheap stuff thats out there & buy the best pump gun you can afford & practice with it, after a while it will become second nature.

I was a semi-auto competitor for several years & won the UK PSG standard auto championship but retrained my head to work a pump gun well enough to win that as well the following year so it can be done.

N

A good guy with a pump can be just as fast as an auto when you have to actually hit something, all it takes is practice, earlier in the thread Mark says he has shot against some of the best PSG pumpers & they dont come close to an auto for speed,

Now Neil I didn’t say that, I said they came close but didn’t surpass auto’s. If two people were exactly equally talented and one used an auto and the other a pump the auto would win. If there was no disadvantage between semi’s and pump’s, why would there be different divisions for them in PSG? :whistling:

I suspect he has only shot against guys from the UK who are far from the best out there, if you take the likes of Luigi Silverstroni or Paulo Zambai from Italy or Roger Karp of Finland then your gonna get your Butt kicked, especially if you miss as often as Mark :lol:

No offence meant mate ! :)

:cry1: :cry1:

:lol:

None taken, that’s why I’ve learnt to reload quick(ish)ly! I’ve no doubt the top international pump lads could absolutely destroy me, and most of the UK ones for that matter! Most people with pumps who don’t shoot PSG never bother to learn to cycle the gun to its full speed potential, so the average clay/pigeon shooter is going to be able to get back on target faster with a semi

But you're right, if you can't stretch to a quality semi, a pump is the way forward :good: