Percentage

Well the season is over, we put down 350 pheasant and had a return of 38% considering the weather this year not to bad I think. 10 of us in the syndicate costing £260.00 each plenty of woodcock pigeons and crows and a good laugh on Saturdays. How did the other small shoots get on?

Bang on 40% to the bird which I am well chuffed with, lots of problems this year with vermin of the two legged variety, poor feed and rain early on, one missed day at the start of jan (not our fault) and continual disturbance at one of the pens / woods, with out that I recon we would be up into the 50% bracket easy

Another 4 pheasants in the larder and we would have had 40%, but had to settle for 39%. Our best ever return. But this year we were supplying just ourselves with pheasants and not the neighbouring shoot as well :ninja: . We shot a few more at a wood a few miles away but as we do not release there they are not included in the statastics.

First time at partridges, put down 100, shot 15, most are still alive and living happily on the hundreds of acres of stubble which surrounded the farm this year :lol: . Difficult to 'do' partridge on a small spot but they added interest and created a drive out of nothing.

Also had a record 16 woodcock, and the usual various, hares, rabbits, pigeons etc.

54% on the pheasants, partridge a very disappointing 25%

If you shoot your partridges when you shoot your pheasants from November onwards then 25% is a good return. I tried for many years to do them releasing 500+ for several seasons for returns of 10% in a good year.

I spoke to Malcome Brockless the GC partridge keeper, he advises that to get good returns from partridges you must have dedicate partridge days from early September onwards. Otherwise they get hammered by sparrow hawks/ kestrels etc and/or walk off the shoot.

A

We are just setting up a small shoot in cheshire has any one got any idea which is the best place for pheasant eggs we plan to incubate our own so any advice would be helpful

Mark

That is a HUGE amount of work and stress for someone, unless you are retired or have a lot of time on your hands its not the way to go. You need to know exactly what you are doing or have someone in charge that does. It is a pretty well full time job looking after your birds in the first few weeks. I would suggest at least to start with that you buy in poults at 6-8 weeks and put them straight into pens.

A

Not a good season for us, put down 800 pheasants and 50 partridge, got 17% pheasant and 8% partridge, worst than last year, the birds just dissappeared despite keeping the feeders topped up, adding grit into the pens and new water drinkers. Our problem is the wood we have permission on is open access and this year seems to have had more dog walkers tramping through the wood than last. Some people seemed to have not heard of the country code or understand what dogs under close control means.

• 2 weeks later...