Fac condition

Essex Keeper

So put in for my .223 cf for foxs munjac cwd vermin and got my ticket back

All on there with the condition

"To only be used whilst accompanied by an experienced shot "

Ok happy days good idear spoke with my friend and he said he will do it

so got my fac Tuesday been out Tuesday afternoon and night Thursday night and hopfuly to tonight

But my mentour has asked me when he can send the letter in ?

My firearms office said when you mentour says your safe !!!

but mentour said I was safe before I got my ticket and have a good awareness of shoot placement for a human kill

But reading the cover letter from the firearms department it's says

"Once experience has been gained in the use of the rifle , application can be made for the removal of this restriction . A letter from the experienced shot specific to the quarry your firearms certificate has been conditioned for advising that you can shoot unaccompanied or the completion of a recognised course will suffice

So if I I did my dsc tommrow would that not be suffice

It all seams to be a money maker

Edited by m2tyj

In theory a course would do it by the sounds of it, not really a money maker as you also have the option of a free mentor option. I would suggest the FEO may not accept a mentors letter sent next week but if you waited a couple of months then odds are you would stand a higher chance of sucess

Its not a day course though at minimum its two with aspects on safety and of course on deer.

The ideal is for both but it all depends how happy you are with gralloching a deer and inspecting the carcass as fit for consumption etc If you want to sell onto a game dealer the course also gives you your large game meat hygiene. The fact the police ask for either is bullpoop really but the course is a good one if you intend shooting many deer.

so got my fac Tuesday been out Tuesday afternoon and night Thursday night and hopfuly to tonight

but mentour said I was safe before I got my ticket and have a good awareness of shoot placement for a human kill

"Once experience has been gained in the use of the rifle , application can be made for the removal of this restriction . A letter from the experienced shot specific to the quarry your firearms certificate has been conditioned for advising that you can shoot unaccompanied or the completion of a recognised course will suffice

My feo at gmp has removed the mentor condition for .22 hornet after 2 months and 4 foxes, with mentor sending in witness statement, now just got to do it for 243 and 270 on deer.

S

Well at least they don't define what they require by 'experienced shot' - you could go out with an air-gun shooter! (Your wife perhaps...).

The best way forward is probably to use(they're on ticket and can be proved) a few rounds and then get a letter from your mentor saying you've shot at least x number and are safe and competent and have had a lot of practice in the last week or two and he's happy that you don't need to be accompanied.

No mate, its an **** covering exercise and thats all

This seems to be the norm with a lot of forces nowadays which I have helped shooters out with from GMP, Lancashire and West Yorkshire. There is no time stipulation tied to it so it really is down to your "Experienced Shooter" to decide that he (Or She) believes that you are a safe and competent shot. When he does all he needs to do is to write a letter stating that he/she has accompanied you on numerous/various occasions and in that time you have shown that you have a good knowledge and application of gun safety, that you can safely identify both safe and unsafe shots and that you are capable of quick and positive target identification. That is really all they need to be told but I am now finding that GMP are asking for one of their "official" forms to be filled in.

Edited by Frenchieboy

Its not a day course though at minimum its two with aspects on safety and of course on deer.

The ideal is for both but it all depends how happy you are with gralloching a deer and inspecting the carcass as fit for consumption etc If you want to sell onto a game dealer the course also gives you your large game meat hygiene. The fact the police ask for either is bullpoop really but the course is a good one if you intend shooting many deer.

there nothing to say you cant just sit the exam,if you know what your doing theres no need to even do the course

This seems to be the norm with a lot of forces nowadays which I have helped shooters out with from GMP, Lancashire and West Yorkshire. There is no time stipulation tied to it so it really is down to your "Experienced Shooter" to decide that he (Or She) believes that you are a safe and competent shot. When he does all he needs to do is to write a letter stating that he/she has accompanied you on numerous/various occasions and in that time you have shown that you have a good knowledge and application of gun safety, that you can safely identify both safe and unsafe shots and that you are capable of quick and positive target identification. That is really all they need to be told but I am now finding that GMP are asking for one of their "official" forms to be filled in.

That's were things get sticky, Basc advised me not to fill in any form that wasn't HO produced and covered under the existing law.

Just today I sent in a variation to have the identical (but named mentor) condition removed re my .223 centrefire. Also applied for a .243 so we shall see how long it takes (Hampshire Police), and the position re the mentor.

My mentor was my original referee and shooting buddy anyway, and he was mentored by a shooter on the Crown Estate and has 30+ years experience.

Only ever went out shooting so with him so let the condition rest on the FAC for 14 months.