First time out with the 410

hedd-wyn

Today had to be the worse day for shooting. From the moment my alarm went off at 5-30 this morning it hasn't stopped belting it down, and it's promising the same all evening (not unusual for Wales by the way)

Still, I had to go out and test the old Webley Scott 410 that I bought last week for £45 sheets, I had never shot one let alone owned one so was very eager to give it a go.

I didn't bother with any decoys or building a hide this time and decided to find a dry corner around the cattle sheds to see if I could knock a few crows.

Found a decent place to sit under the feeder and just waited to see if anything came close enough for a shot.

I ended up shooting only two crows (the other landed head first in the slurry pit) but drove home with a smile on my face.

To be honest I found shooting two crows with the 410 more satisfying than shooting 20 with the 12g.

Overall I'm really pleased with the 410 and would advise any shooter that doesn't own one to give it a go, cracking guns and fun to shoot.

16295_10151248211675872_1103236592_n.jpg

Well Aga Man, funny you should say that :)

I received a 410 2 1/2 inch hand loader through the post when I arrived back home. It's basically an exact copy of the old discontinued Lee Hand Loader and I ordered it from the US (took nearly a month to arrive but...)

I informed Clay & Game Reloading that I was interested in making my own loads, and what kind of cartridge I needed.

They came back with everything that I needed to load my own.

Been talking to RobbieP from the forum will be making his own 410 loads soon and has promised to post photos and instruction.

Nearly had a heart attack when when my RFD asked for £8 for a box :eh:

Something for you to consider Aga Man :good:

excellent. never tried re-loading any cartridges before,but i can see the benefit, especially if the lad starts to enjoy his 410.[which i hope he does].

keep us posted on how you get on with reloading.

atb Aga man.

Edited by aga man

The .410 is a great gun, and I know what you mean about the satisfying angle. Heres a link to a good day Bluebarrels and I had over laid barley. Just shows how good they are and not to be underestimated. :good:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/172647-pigeons-with-the-small-gauges-on-barley/page__hl__%2Bpigeons+%2Bwith+%2Bthe+%2Bsmall+%2Bgauges

Well done H-W

Both my boys started with .410"s.

A Belgian Star and a Webley and Scott like yours.

The cheaper Star was cut down to give a stock that had a 9" pull. That fitted the little chap and gradually I added an inch on over the 3 years he used it.

It became unsafe eventually and was destroyed.

Still have the W+S though!

Well Aga Man, funny you should say that :)

I received a 410 2 1/2 inch hand loader through the post when I arrived back home. It's basically an exact copy of the old discontinued Lee Hand Loader and I ordered it from the US (took nearly a month to arrive but...)

I informed Clay & Game Reloading that I was interested in making my own loads, and what kind of cartridge I needed.

They came back with everything that I needed to load my own.

perhaps you can send us a link to where you purchased it from

my mrs is going to the states in a couple of months time, maybe she could bring me one back

having just bought a mossberg hushpower 410, the price of carts is scary, have a few to last me, but there will come a time

my mrs is going to the states in a couple of months time, maybe she could bring me one back

having just bought a mossberg hushpower 410, the price of carts is scary, have a few to last me, but there will come a time

So how much do you pay for cartridges?

Nothing more satisfying than shooting crows or ferals with a .410 - well done.

I have paid £8 a box for 3" 14g 5's or 6's I think. Not cheap.

Would be interested if someone could calculate rough box cost of reloading your own. :whistling:

I've been in touch with Clay and Game Reloading and the calculation (roughly) would be between 15 pence per cartridge if you buy in bulk, so about £3.75 a box.

Not bad.

I'd also like the link. a .410 would be prefect for the farm i shoot over but the cartridge price has been putting me off!

Guest cookoff013

I've been in touch with Clay and Game Reloading and the calculation (roughly) would be between 15 pence per cartridge if you buy in bulk, so about £3.75 a box.

Not bad.

40- primers

20-wads

60- powder

80 -lead

200/k. not messing

whom ever told you otherwise is slightly mistaken. i`ve assumed 16grain powdercharge at £30 for SP3, and 18gram load. if you load 14grams then can knock of about 10 quid or so.

these are using clay and games prices and are excluding delivery.