I had a dilemma :( And would of liked you guys to have had some input

sepulchre

Well today was the day I picked up a new .17HMR and I was looking for some input of you guys n gals :) on which rifle you would of chosen.

As fortune and luck goes (generally not always in my favour) I couldn't get the forum to load up properly and ask the question prior to buying the gun, so I committed the cardinal 'pigeon watch' sin and bought a gun without your input. Please accept my apologies !

So the story goes 'I had a beautiful little Ruger 10/22, match trigger, hogue stock, green mountain varmint Barrel, moderated and whisper quiet. It was a one shot wonder nailing rabbits from 50 to 120 meters. however I didn't like the semi auto as it was a ball ache - chamber a round, sight up your quarry, disengage the safety, shoot, remove the mag, eject the next live round that had chambered, reload it back into the magazine, lock the slide open, engage the safety, pop the mag in again and wait for the next 'hopper' to come along'

So I decided to opt for bolt action rifle in 17HMR and the question that I was going to ask was which one ?

And I'll share my purchase with you after a few replies :)

Edited by sepulchre

452 not 455. I flippin hate thumbholes, awful things. Really cannot see what the great advantage of these is and makes them so desirable?

Big thumbs up on that from me, they do seem pointless ! Reckon if they made them as a standard stock with a pistol grip would be a much better idea.

If I was buying one tomorrow (which I am not ) HW60j

I bought an HW because CZs are too small and cramped for me. I find the Rugers even worse. T-bolts are better for length but too slight. there's nothing to hold. Weihrauchs, Sakos and Anschutz are the only makes that feel like they're been designed for grown-ups. Don't know why manufacturers make these toy sized rimfires nowadays. Maybe its an American influence where rimfires are often bought as trainers for kids. Old BSAs and Kricos weren't like that.

I tried out a CZ 455 thumbhole for fit, and it no fits ! My frames too big and I got big mitts, me thumb wouldn't go all the way through the hole without causing some discomfort :( I was disappointed cause a CZ was going to be my choice of HMR

Do you need one with a thumbhole stock? I have the 452 Varmint model with standard stock, and it's a excellent rifle.

+1 for the CZ. In fact I much prefer my .17 CZ over my .22 Anschutz comfort wise, the Anschutz pistol grip is all wrong for me.

theres been a few comments about thumbhole stocks,i have these on my annies and for me they are perfect with the higher cheekpiece i can strongly recommend them

Thanks very much for you input and ideas, I'm pleased to say that the rifle I bought was mentioned :) having already got a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .243 which I'm very happy with in terms of build quality and performance I opted for the Sako Quad Varmint in 17 HMR - unfortunately I wont be able to shoot it for a while as I have a broken elbow :(

Build quality seems typically Sako can't say much more at the moment!

But still in the market for a .22LR bolt action which is going to be a CZ I think.

Thanks again guys

Edited by sepulchre