simvastatin

besty57

hi guys.

ive just been prescribed this drug to reduce my cholesterol level although i havnt teken any yet..i was just wondering if anyone on here is on it.or has been ,and if you have had any side affects.ive been on a few web sites reading up on it.

and so far the reviews are a bit alarming to say the least.all informed replies welcome

regards

alan

Edited by besty57

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys.

ive just been prescribed this drug to reduce my cholesterol level although i havnt teken any yet..i was just wondering if anyone on here is on it.or has been ,and if you have had any side affects.ive been on a few web sites reading up on it.

and so far the reviews are a bit alarming to say the least.all informed replies welcome

regards

alan

besty

I have been taking them for years ..... seems like everyone these days are on them..... Be sensible watch your diet also.

besty

I have been taking them for years ..... seems like everyone these days are on them..... Be sensible watch your diet also.

thanks for the reply mate.just a bit worried after reading all the negative posts on some forums.

i take it youve had no adverse side effects

alan

I've been on 10mg for a while now. I read all those horror stories too when I was first prescribed but ignored them basically. The internet is full of doom and gloom with things like that and of the gazillion people on them a number so small as to be worth taking no notice of post on the net about how bad they found them.

Worry not, live your life.

Been taking them for 12 years, no serious side effects and cholesterol greatly reduced also take beta blocker thingies, tablets to regulate blood pressure and aspirin. Will be on them for life. The up side is I don't have to pay for them being of an age that qualifies for freebies.

One annoying side affect is in winter or when its really cold, the fingers go white even with gloves on. Limits my ability to get out and about which is a bit of a sipper.

Been taking these for a couple of years now, like you, I was concerned about the side effects but al has seemed ok....as previously said, better than dead. My brother died at the age of 53 as a direct result of catastrophically high cholesterol, he would not take statins!

Edited by Gunnerbob

4 years and just notty tight calves on feet for 8 hours a shift no chairs in our factory for us minions but nothing else .no nightmares or piddle probs obviously they effect different peeps in varying ways but ive got very low cholesterol and free perscriptions for life so im happy with em

Like lots of the replies, I have been on them for about 9 years. No side effects to mention and they definitely keep me cholesterol down to a normal level. Make sure you keep an eye on your diet, but it sure beats the cholesterol problems! If you do have any side effects there are other versions and your doctor will work with you on finding the right one. Good Luck!

Most people can tollerate them... some can't.

I had the side effects... muscle ache, extreme fatigue etc.. and so came off them after 6 months... waited 6 months and went onto Pravastatin instead... that was 3 years ago and no problems at all.. cholesterol levels down near normal and arteries perfectly clear (as I discovered after having a Cardiac Perfusion Scan last year after getting chest pain)

Remember... when looking on tinternet about these things you are going to get an overwhelming majority of posts from people who didn't get on with them... those that just take them and get on with it without issue wouldn't think to go and post about thier experiences... Also remember there are millions of people if not tens or hundreds of millions worldwide who take simvastatin with no issues at all.

Side effects took about 2-3 weeks to start presenting and it was a gradual thing, you ain't going to pop a pill and then become violently ill (unless you have an allergic reaction which is the same for any drug.. even asprin!)

I was also put under the care of the lipids consultant due to family history and when you hear what the effects of statins have meant, you'd be bonkers not to take them... within weeks of starting your risk of heart attack falls dramatically... it's not just about lowering cholesterol, they do other very clever stuff too with any plaque already in there... fascinating stuff and, from what I can gather, a true miracle drug of the 21st century!

Simvastatin is the cheap as chips one that tends to be prescribed as it's cheaper for their budget. There are other cholesterol busting drugs available such as Atorvastatin (Lipitor) which were expensive and therefore not prescribed but are now available as a generic and therefore at a comparable price to Simvastatin.

Remembering that not all drugs are suitable for everyone, in your position I would speak with my GP and decide on which is best for you.

Some months ago I swapped to Lipitor and the side effects I suffered from whilst taking Simvastatin for over 10 years disappeared.

I had wicked side effects with Atorvastatin, aches and pains in my legs, and in the joints of my fingers and thumbs.

Now on 5mg Rosuvastatin (the expensive one) and I only get the occasional ache in a finger or thumb after a few successive nights on the sauce, which doesn't exactly happen that often nowadays.

Statins are best taken just before bed that way you are asleep during the worst side effects-if you suffer chronic muscle wealness let your doctor know-theres planty to choose from-I take Atorvastatin which seems to have mild side effects-mind you,if I am expecting to do a lot of walking,I will miss a dose.