F4cebook?

wildfowler.250

What's your thoughts on the above site? I am assuming many people on here have an account on it. I've currently 'deactivated' my account as it takes 2 weeks to delete it. The sad thing is that I am already tempted to re-activate it,(after 2 days).

What bothers me is how it can land you into trouble with work ect. Some careers require you to act in a 'professional manner' and its a very easy way to land yourself in it. I know people also go onto facebook to have a look at potential employees after an interview,(which isn't exactly ideal). I'm also not keen on getting tagged in photos without bring able to give an approval first,(as far as I'm aware this isn't an option?).

Yet despite all this I'm tempted to go back on it for ease of communicating with folk and also because there's loads of photos on it which I would otherwise not have.

Sorry for the ramble but I was just curious as to what the thoughts were on this sight. I'm not intending to slate Fcebook but there's certain things about it I find disconcerting.

Edited by wildfowler.250

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can lock it down, so anyone who tags you or invites you to do something etc has to be approved by you. I usually ignore any such things so only what I want people to see, they can see. Same with appearing in searches etc.. you can decide what people see or if they can even see you. I certainly dont want pictures of me in various drunken states appearing all over it.

Ive mixed feelings about the site. Its good in that you can keep in touch with people who you might not normally - you can see what they are upto, Previously ive been of the inclination that if i wanted to keep in touch with someone id stay in touch with them normally, not via something like facebook - but I have found it good in that you can get ideas and suggestions from what people are doing - like holidays they are on, meals they are having, films they have seen etc. I see people on there not as real "friends" in the sense of the word where you`d probably go out for a meal with them or down the pub, but more as people who i find interesting and want to remain in touch with on a facebook level.

However, on the bad side it does allow people to stalk ex`s and see what they are upto and a lot of people I know have had their partners end up getting back in contact with an ex via facebook and then either having an affair with them or dumping them and going back to an ex. Had it not been for facebook the opportunity wouldnt have presented itself. Happened to me a few years ago.

With regards to employers, if you have your profile locked down then they wont see anything. However some people do like telling the world what they are upto. Ive had fun before googling people who have come to my company for interviews and finding out all sorts of stuff im sure they wouldnt like me to see - such as half naked modeling pictures or pictures of them passed out in an alleyway somewhere, or with a big splif on the go.

Yep, I feel the same. I've had 3 hefty friend culls. I have hovered over the deactivate account button a few times. Even deactivating it once (for 24hrs).

However, it is really quite handy to keep in contact with various folk. Also, as the majority of people use it, it's fast becoming the only way to get invites to things like drinks and parties (as sad as that is)!

I deleted my account.

I lost contact with people not worthing keeping contact with and found myself phoning (or being phoned) by people I should keep contact with. because we ended up have proper phone conversations, things got organized and ended up seeing people I hadn't seen it years.

No less happy without it.

You can lock it down, so anyone who tags you or invites you to do something etc has to be approved by you. I usually ignore any such things so only what I want people to see, they can see. Same with appearing in searches etc.. you can decide what people see or if they can even see you. I certainly dont want pictures of me in various drunken states appearing all over it.

Cheers for the replies! I'll do a full reply in a bit but any suggestions on how to do the above?

I love these threads.

People tell their story of their hatred of social networks, whilst being blind to the irony of their post.

I don't see any similarity between facebook and a forum and I've never started a thread telling anyone what I ate for breakfast.or when I've had a poo.

I don't see any similarity between facebook and a forum and I've never started a thread telling anyone what I ate for breakfast.or when I've had a poo.

Posting in a forum is no different to posting on Facebook. You're sharing something which interests you and hopefully your listeners. Your other topic does exactly that.

I always said that Facebook was the work of the devil.

Signed up recently and one of the first discussions I got involved in was on devil worship (Freemasonry) - oh the irony indeed.

I think it's great for keeping in touch with distant friends / family.

Personally prefer LinkedIn and that has got me in enough trouble....

Posting in a forum is no different to posting on Facebook. You're sharing something which interests you and hopefully your listeners. Your other topic does exactly that.

Sorry....could you repeat that?...I couldn't quite hear what you typed........think i've gone deaf :lol:

i started to feel this way, but then had a cull of people who i really wouldn't consider 'friends' (about half) and locked my account settings down. We have family spread all over - so its a good way to keep in touch.

i'm a twitter convert for mixing with people whose interests are similar, (and for arguing with ignorant antis and george galloway - he's now blocked me though :lol: )

Linkedin for work :good: