Do u need a sgc to have a shotgun barrel?

syborg

Bit of a random question but I'm hoping to get

My .410 chamber reworked by a local tool maker but he doesnt have a sgc.

Does having a barrel in your possession class as a firearm?

I don't fancy getting slapped wrists from the feo.

Regards

Syborg..

I don't think you need a sgc just to possess a barrel but working on a barrel doing work that could affect the proof, for reward, would require the person to be a RFD.

You are allowed to work on your own guns but not someone elses unless you are a RFD and if you do anything to weaken the barrels, by removing material for instance, without getting them reproofed you would be breaking the law.

My chamber is worn and oversized and he will hopefully by resleeving it back to the nominal .0478"

I would have thought it needed a proof test after taking away material to sleeve it because it will be considered to be out of proof. Don't know if I would want that next to my face when pulling the trigger.

I've put over 50 2.5" 12.5 gram loads through it in the last 2 weeks and Due to it's age I'm havin it rechambered to 2" loads only so I personally can't see the issue..as for proofing it only needs proof if I'm selling it. Which I'm not..

I've put over 50 2.5" 12.5 gram loads through it in the last 2 weeks and Due to it's age I'm havin it rechambered to 2" loads only so I personally can't see the issue..as for proofing it only needs proof if I'm selling it. Which I'm not..

But it needs reproofing before the guy doing the work hands it back!!!

No money is changing hands and we are both qualified mechanical production engineers so I have no doubt his work will be equal to or greater than the original work.

We shall be adding material so that nulls the "material removal" issue.

The proof issue is a matter of opinion. If someone changes their chamber forcing cone length does this need reproofing? No!.

If you buy a second hand gun from a private buyer there is more chance of there being a problem and I know what I'd prefer given the choice of a gun of unknown origins or one that has been personaly checked and any work done by competent engineers instead for Joe blogs in his shed with a few reamers and a ryobi

cordless drill trying to squeeze 3" cartridges in a 2.5" gun.

Edited by syborg

Can't you get your mate to "teach" you how to do it? Then you've done it yourself? Under instruction? Regarding proof if your re-sleaving.I'd be careful about the two mating surfaces, I'm no metalurgist but any crqp moisture etc and then the rattle and then bust lol. I know you will be machining your parts to very fine tolorances but how are you going to seal it? If you weld it I would defiantly recommend a 're proof . Don't forget 410 carts use higher power powder so even tho the cartridge is smaller I'd hazard a guess that the pressures at this point will be mequal / more, you could do your own proof test but I wouldn't recommend it, just get a homeloader to make up a couple of proof carts and rig up a safe firing mech? Always gets me why Smith's can't be licensed to do their own proofing in a purpose built building, have seen vids when they proof guns and seems to be anything from a decent clamp and a bit of string to a jig made for that perticular model. Nothing overly technical

We,re both qualified to the same level bar he did the hnc part where as I finished on the level 3 hands on part. It's his machinery and you know what old guys are like with their equipment. The tolerances will be very fine indeed. We will be using an " interference" fit which will require pressing to fit the new part into the reamed chamber socket.

This will be an "S6" shaft based tolerance system if my memory serves me correctly.

Normally to easily mate the two parts one is heated and other is chilled but obviously or this purpose a mild pressing will be needed and then the new chamber will be bore micrometered

To check for any reduction in internal diameter Bored if needed.

Edited by syborg

Definitions of Firearms and Air Weapons

A firearm is "a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged" (section 57 (1) Firearms Act 1968), it includes:

any prohibited weapon (see below in this guidance section 5 Firearms Act 1968), whether it is such a lethal weapon as aforesaid or not; and

any component part of such a lethal or prohibited weapon; and

any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon.

Lethality is a complex issue and although case law exists (Moore v Gooderham [1960] 3 All E.R. 575), only a court can decide whether any particular weapon is capable of causing "more than trifling and trivial" injury and is therefore is a "firearm" for the purposes of the Acts. The Forensic Science Provider (FSP) will be able to advise in any case where "lethality" is likely to be an issue. See also: R v Thorpe 85 Cr. App. R 107 CA.

"barrelled" is a question of mixed law and fact - R v Singh (1989) Crim. L.R. 724, CA, involved an evidential dispute as to whether a flare launcher was barrelled.

"from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged" has to be capable of discharging a missile either in its present state or with adaptation. To prove that a weapon is a firearm, it is essential to call evidence as to whether a bullet or missile can be discharged from the weapon or which can be adapted to discharge any missile: Grace v DPP (1989) Crim L.R.365 where the conviction was quashed as there was no evidence that the air rifle could have been fired.

"component parts". R v Clarke (F), 82 Cr App R 308, CA states that the component part of a prohibited weapon is itself a prohibited weapon. Although there is no statutory definition, the Home Office Guidance to the Police at paragraph 13.70 states the following:

The term "component part" may be held to include (i) the barrel, chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and furniture are not considered component parts.

R v Ashton, CA, 1 February 2007 seems to suggest that any part that stops the weapon functioning as it was designed would be a component part:

"Whether in fact this particular gas plug is a component part of a prohibited weapon, is a matter of fact for the court to decide the words have their ordinary natural meaning. as a matter of reasonable interpretation it means a part that is manufactured to the purpose screw or washer, would not be a component part for present purposes. Similarly, a component part must be a part that if it were removed, the Gun could not function without it."

In the other previous thread a firearm's department manager was contacted and confirmed that no certificate was required to have section 2 shotgun barrel's in your possesion .

Many Firearms Department Managers will apparently also tell you having firearms in your possession when your FAC has expired is perfectly legal as well. :hmm: :hmm:

As far as I'm aware a rifle barrel needs a FAC and a Shotgun barrel needs a SGC. :good: