HMR MISFIRE

thirdearl

Hi have many of you had this problem with it leaving the bullet lodged in the barrel,A nightmare to get it out,HW60j .17hmr. winchester round.Have googled it and it seems it has happened to others.BLOODY DANGEROUS IF NOT NOTICED.i Heard the click,wondered if i have put a used shell in by mistake,but could then smell a powder burn,Ejected nervously and saw powder left in case,and abullet wedged in the barrel.

I had bad batch of Remmington HMR. Never had one lodge in the barrel, but some almost fell out after click, pop. In that batch I also had some real zingers, that almost destroyed the rabbits even with head shots, the percussion blowing their guts out.

Just copied this of BBS -

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin

CCI/Speer Technical Services

2299 Snake River Ave.

Lewiston, ID 83501

I always use Remington Accutips - I've had 1 duff round from several thousand - guess I've been lucky !!

I've had a couple of delayed discharges with Remington HMR ammo. The cases also split on both occasions. If anything ever feels or sounds out of the ordinary I always whip the bolt out and check the bore is clear.

It would seem that there is a problem quality control with HMR ammunition, though I cant imagine why.

I think there is some ammo sitting about for a fair while and then in peoples cabinets, with the cracks it would appear this could well be from hairlines that were present before firing if these had let damp in over time you would have the answer for the slow burns etc.

Its probably worthwhile I know one local gunshop has a gun back where whatever happened did do more than blow the mag out it pretty much destroyed the action. The user didn't think he had missed the rabbit on the shot before but other than shooting a second round with a bullet up the spout I can't see how it happened. That was only 3 weeks ago

I will second that, if it only goes towards preventing one accident it worthwhile IMO. Will all who are unaware of procedure make sure and wait a fair period 10-15 seconds or more before flinging the bolt open and be very careful were the bolt might go if it gets blasted out the back of the action in the case of a delayed or hang- fire

For what it's worth, after reading these ongoing horror stories of hmr ammo, i always check the cases upon buying a new batch under a magnifying glass. I have fired very little compared to others, about 600 i would guess. I have found up to 7 split cases in a box of 50 (that's 14%), which is way too many. I destroy these so i could be wasting about £2-80 in money from every 100 i buy. Brand - Remmington.

I had a delayed discharge and a misfire this morning from the same box of Federal HMR. The delayed shot was first and about 10 rounds later a misfire that left the bullet about an inch up the barrel. It sounded obvious that something had misfired again so extracted the case, which was still full of powder, and looked down the barrel. I could see the bullet clearly stuck in the bore.

I only bought this ammunition 2 weeks ago, but have no idea, of course, how long it had been on the shelf.

Worth keeping a ‘close ear’ on this round!

Edited by Boristhedog