give up or not?

elmar fudd

for the past few weeks/couple of months whenever ive been out either clays or quarry i havent been finding it as enjoyable as i used to, i dont know if its just a spell im going through or if im just losing interest, and its been on my mind on the past week or so as to whether to stop shooting, including selling up all my guns and equipment, but im struggling to make a decision, what would you do if you were beginning to find shooting less enjoyable?

for the past few weeks/couple of months whenever ive been out either clays or quarry i havent been finding it as enjoyable as i used to, i dont know if its just a spell im going through or if im just losing interest, and its been on my mind on the past week or so as to whether to stop shooting, including selling up all my guns and equipment, but im struggling to make a decision, what would you do if you were beginning to find shooting less enjoyable?

only shot a few times int he last 6 months...not even bought and 22 or 17 ammo for nearly 9 months...

Most of it is the time factor but also getting the motivation to get out there

It's a very personal issue, but you may find once you have given everything up and sold all your sporting goods, you miss it or regret it.

Maybe undertake a project, take a cheap beaten old gun and restore it to it's former beauty, who knows.

that was what was stopping me selling up right away, if i missed it in a few weeks i'll be knackered, perhaps the project idea is a good one

fudd

When things are quiet at work i find it hard to motivate my self. I wouldn't sell up just yet pal.

i just cant get my head round it! i started shooting when i was about 8 and have always loved it up until about half way through last season and been out at every chance but it seems to have just gone, maybe your right perhaps i do need to try something abit different in shooting see if that re-kindles it for me :good:

I think a lot of people can get like it now and again,I seem to swap and change what I do, used to spend most of my time decoying either crows or pigeons but last year did mostly rifle work,although most of autumn and winter hardly anything due to a hernia, hope to do more of both this year.

My advice is along the same as the others dont give up yet try something different, rifle and lamp if you usualy do shotgun or the other way round,if you sell up you will probably never replace what you have,I know I wouldnt would cost to much stick with if you can

fud, i gave up for about 10 years, not really through choice but family and moving away and time\ motivation, sold my guns, etc. worst mistake of my life. am back into it now, i was lucky enough to carry on my sc but wish i had never sold my kit, i now go to the local clay ground, mix with as many new people i can, as to be honest when your on your own shooting its very easy to get down and board, with the right set of people around you even the poorest weather, lack of birds are soo much better, the people on here have helped me alot, and i hav had a cracking time and a right giggle. where in the uk are you, if your close you fancy a meet up?

g.

fud, i gave up for about 10 years, not really through choice but family and moving away and time\ motivation, sold my guns, etc. worst mistake of my life. am back into it now, i was lucky enough to carry on my sc but wish i had never sold my kit, i now go to the local clay ground, mix with as many new people i can, as to be honest when your on your own shooting its very easy to get down and board, with the right set of people around you even the poorest weather, lack of birds are soo much better, the people on here have helped me alot, and i hav had a cracking time and a right giggle. where in the uk are you, if your close you fancy a meet up?

g.

Completely agree, shooting on your own can get abit boring and lonely, much rather go out with my Dad or some friends!

Another hobby that's quite different is always good. I play guitar, some weeks I fancy becoming a professional musician, then others I just want to live off the land and shoot.

I I think some good shooting buddies will always encourage getting out and about.

i used to do alot of fishing but the same thing happened, i do still go occasionly but not much, once every couple of months maximum perhaps should kick in again

fudd

Easier to fish as a very occasional angler... not so much as an occasional shooter... it's hard work and time consuming making sure permissions are kept and sometimes even club visits to keep the target side of my FAC valid are troublesome... I work most evenings and when I do get one off the last thing I want to do is head off to the range for some .22 paper punching.... I want to spend time with the kids!

Much easier with shotguns and your SGC as there is no burden on you to show it's used regularly..

I can sympathise... the thought has crossed my mind many times, particularly when money is tight AND the interest is at a low point but I know full well that it is the one sport/hobby that I can't just put on ice and come back to in a few years.... well I could but I don't think I could cope with the chew on of doing club probation/getting permissions/re-applying for my ticket again!

I wouldn't sell up, I've done that in the past with other hobbies and regretted it. It only takes a mate to mention a day out shooting and i bet you would be gutted not to have the gear. I sold all my climbing gear about 2 year ago, over the last six months I've been indoor climbing and fancy getting out on the rock, but not got the money to stick back into new gear. I was told not to sell as well by my dad, I didn't need the cash either just thought it was sitting doing nowt. You live and learn tho

I wouldn't sell up, I've done that in the past with other hobbies and regretted it. It only takes a mate to mention a day out shooting and i bet you would be gutted not to have the gear. I sold all my climbing gear about 2 year ago, over the last six months I've been indoor climbing and fancy getting out on the rock, but not got the money to stick back into new gear. I was told not to sell as well by my dad, I didn't need the cash either just thought it was sitting doing nowt. You live and learn tho

spot on.