Cracked double glazing

oscarsdad

Strange one chaps, we had new windows fitted in October last year, I have just got home to find that there is a 2ft long crack in the kitchen window on the inside pane.

Nothing had hit the window so I am assuming it is a manufacturing fault which has appeared due to cold weather?

Anyone have any ideas?

3e57162a2424646c74de256e23d04334.jpg

The crack seems to have started in the frame.

fcb7e07192e2c1895766c4c9627039d1.jpg

I doubt it is a structural problem as the windows were fitted by local builders who installed a proper lintel above this window and the patio door as there was previously not one.

They were coming tomorrow to quote for a new bathroom but will be fixing this first! I assume like me no-one would pay for the new glass as I am convinced it must have been a manufacturing fault.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Strange one chaps, we had new windows fitted in October last year, I have just got home to find that there is a 2ft long crack in the kitchen window on the inside pane.

Nothing had hit the window so I am assuming it is a manufacturing fault which has appeared due to cold weather?

Anyone have any ideas?

3e57162a2424646c74de256e23d04334.jpg

The crack seems to have started in the frame.

fcb7e07192e2c1895766c4c9627039d1.jpg

I doubt it is a structural problem as the windows were fitted by local builders who installed a proper lintel above this window and the patio door as there was previously not one.

They were coming tomorrow to quote for a new bathroom but will be fixing this first! I assume like me no-one would pay for the new glass as I am convinced it must have been a manufacturing fault.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Would you pay for it if you were the company. It was 5 months ago. Anything could have happened. There is no way they will pay for it. I've known temper tantrums break windows.

I bet there's a bit of debris stuck behind the bead or the packer has just caught the edge of the glass when fitted, the crack was proberbly behind the bead in oct , but now it's spread due to temp change, as for it just cracking due to the weather mmmmmmmmmmm, that's very doubtful mate dg units don't just crack in the cold, Polester could be correct too a warped frame etc

Atb

Flynny

I bet there's a bit of debris stuck behind the bead or the packer has just caught the edge of the glass when fitted, the crack was proberbly behind the bead in oct , but now it's spread due to temp change, as for it just cracking due to the weather mmmmmmmmmmm, that's very doubtful mate dg units don't just crack in the cold, Polester could be correct too a warped frame etc

Atb

Flynny

That's my suspicion as it has started in the frame. The lads who fitted them really know their stuff and certainly don't cut corners...they will be over for a look tomorrow. Worst case it's a new sealed unit I will be paying for. Bloody annoying though after less than 6 month.

That's my suspicion as it has started in the frame. The lads who fitted them really know their stuff and certainly don't cut corners...they will be over for a look tomorrow. Worst case it's a new sealed unit I will be paying for. Bloody annoying though after less than 6 month.

Check for chips to the edge of the unit when they take the bead off mate, if there is a packer there it could have been tapped in a bit too tight and chipped the glass, if this is the case it's been fitted incorrectly, no saying the lads have done a bad job but it does happen,

Atb

Flynny

Check for chips to the edge of the unit when they take the bead off mate, if there is a packer there it could have been tapped in a bit too tight and chipped the glass, if this is the case it's been fitted incorrectly, no saying the lads have done a bad job but it does happen,

Atb

Flynny

Cheers bud

I've done it before just caught the window when putting the bead in as Bering a pain 2 days later crack appears!! It's a possibility

Or like said a bit of something inbetween the bead and glass

Or did it have a little crack before they fitted it.

Could be a lot

I fought it will be the frame twisted as the glas would not fit in right as very little play.

£40 - 60 at a guess don't know exact size.

What area you from

If they get on well with the supplier they might get a new one for nothing. The guy I used to use for all mine wouldn't argue about something like replacing that

I will be surprised if they argue, they are about to quote on a new bathroom and then a new kitchen later in the year so I am sure they will sort it.

Atb

Flynny

+1 or packed to tight with a shim.

Figgy

I will be surprised if they argue, they are about to quote on a new bathroom and then a new kitchen later in the year so I am sure they will sort it.

Don't think they'll argue mate :no: but they will add the price of the glass to your new quote :yes: and you will be non the wiser :good: or is that my suspicious mind :lol: BB

Had a conservatory built a few years ago and after 6 years inner glass pane exploded on double glazed unit.Had special heat reflecting glass installed (Special K) and company replaced without question so I suspect its not an uncommon problem with stressed glass.They would not say why it went but 12 months later another roof panel shattered (inner pane again).Waiting for company to fix this one now, not a happy bunny as grand kids regularly play in conservatory.

Anyone else had problems like this?