Cormorants

Royboy

Sorry if ive posted a lot of things at the moment BUT i saw my Permission owner again today and he was asking what could be done about Cormorants on his lake. I obviously said that i cant shoot them but said id try and find out whats the best thing for them. I know its his problem not mine but im trying to keep on his good side so anybody got any great ideas ? Are they comming onto the general licence soon ?

Edited by Royboy

Hi royboy

I hope i can help you.

My background is fish farming so had alot to do with cormorants and there licensing... You are legally allowed to scared them off and the simple ways are a bird scarer but this must be moved daily. Before we got our license we used bird scaring rockets.. You could also use banger cartridges...The only way they will grant a license is if they are threatening your business.....

If its not being used as a fishing lake or rearing but just as ornamental and the owner is not worried about aesthetics of his lake then simply cover the lake in zig zags of string.....

As you are aware a cormorant cant land and walk into lakes then have to dive from height...

I would advise that you call natural England who im sure now deals with with the licensing and just enquire because they may grant....

I hope this helps and any other question please ask.. Please keep me informed

Good luck and shoot them all

Regards

Scott

Hi royboy

I hope i can help you.

My background is fish farming so had alot to do with cormorants and there licensing... You are legally allowed to scared them off and the simple ways are a bird scarer but this must be moved daily. Before we got our license we used bird scaring rockets.. You could also use banger cartridges...The only way they will grant a license is if they are threatening your business.....

If its not being used as a fishing lake or rearing but just as ornamental and the owner is not worried about aesthetics of his lake then simply cover the lake in zig zags of string.....

As you are aware a cormorant cant land and walk into lakes then have to dive from height...

I would advise that you call natural England who im sure now deals with with the licensing and just enquire because they may grant....

I hope this helps and any other question please ask.. Please keep me informed

Good luck and shoot them all

Regards

Scott

Thanks for reply scotty. Would a bird scarer or banger ropes in the summer effect it when it comes to winter for Teal and Mallard flighting ? Its full of Mallard all year round and come winter it gets packed with teal also ! I wouldnt want to scare the ducks away for them not to come back !

I used to use the ponds for some wild ducks by just keep feeding even when they was little so never flew away even when scared or shot cormorants... They used to get up but come back in... Cover will keep the ducks happy and the cormorant lines ( string/ rope) across pond never bothered the ducks as they still dropped in....

Hope this helps

Scott

if you get a licence, it will liable to stipulate that you can only shoot 3 pairs or something of the like, which is a waste of time basically, I know of a fishery owner who had a licence but restricted the number that could be shot, from what he was telling me he said might well of not bothered with the amout of the damm plauge of black shooting a few of the aint going to make a lot of differance

if you get a licence, it will liable to stipulate that you can only shoot 3 pairs or something of the like, which is a waste of time basically, I know of a fishery owner who had a licence but restricted the number that could be shot, from what he was telling me he said might well of not bothered with the amout of the damm plauge of black shooting a few of the aint going to make a lot of differance

At least he got a licence for them. Nobody knows how many he shot or didnt shoot ! :ninja:

The license only runs for 6 months due to there breeding then they cant be shot.. Then your re-evaluted... To see if they will grant you again.. You must fill in a shoot report and how many you have seen.....

We was allowed to shoot ANY 3 birds in ANY two months.....

Hope this helps

Scott

hi royboy,, i am a fishery bailiff and just to put you straight,,you MUST have a licence to shoot them and even when you do it will stipulate how many birds per season you can shoot,

you are not allowed to shoot them if they are a pair you are only allowed to shoot single birds,this is stipulated on our licence,,

all other means af scaring them must have been tried before they will grant you a licence,,

most places will only be granted a licence to shoot two birds ,,ridiculous i know but its just how they work,,

if granted a licence you must record the date and time the bird was shot and also keep this record which must be sent with your renewal form even if you dont wish to renew ,you must still send in this information,,

just to let you know just how stupid this licence is here is our figures for last year,,

over 300 cormorants were seen on or around our lakes in a period of 5 months,,

we where given a licence to shoot a maximum of 5 birds,,i can safely say we reached the quota,,

if it is not a buisness he might find it hard to get a licence because they who grant them are a funny bunch and you must prove you have tried all other means of scaring tham away

hope this helps mate and good luck,,,Evo

hi royboy,, i am a fishery bailiff and just to put you straight,,you MUST have a licence to shoot them and even when you do it will stipulate how many birds per season you can shoot,

you are not allowed to shoot them if they are a pair you are only allowed to shoot single birds,this is stipulated on our licence,,

all other means af scaring them must have been tried before they will grant you a licence,,

most places will only be granted a licence to shoot two birds ,,ridiculous i know but its just how they work,,

if granted a licence you must record the date and time the bird was shot and also keep this record which must be sent with your renewal form even if you dont wish to renew ,you must still send in this information,,

just to let you know just how stupid this licence is here is our figures for last year,,

over 300 cormorants were seen on or around our lakes in a period of 5 months,,

we where given a licence to shoot a maximum of 5 birds,,i can safely say we reached the quota,,

if it is not a buisness he might find it hard to get a licence because they who grant them are a funny bunch and you must prove you have tried all other means of scaring tham away

hope this helps mate and good luck,,,Evo

i counted 62 cormorants flying along the shore 3days ago, early morning first light! Iv never seen so many tbh! Are they on the up!

I wasnt shooting by the way lol! Was out with the dog after a nightshift!

they seem to be coming further inshore to feed,it is amazing just how many there is,my buddy where i have a perm in staffordshire has got a serious problem with them,on one occasion we counted 43 sitting around one of his lakes,

and guess how many he is allowed to shoot,,,,,,,, yes two,,,,, a total joke

• 8 months later...

Hi there, I own a 4 acre lake mixed fishery, during a visit from Natural England who issue my licence I put the question, my licence stipulates that

either a 12 or 20 bore shotgun can be used with No4 shot, because it is near impossible to get close to the birds the range is often in excess of 50yds. what is the spread pattern at this distance with full choke, she did not have a clue, the chance of injuring a bird at this range is great, but this is

acceptable. I am not the best shot with a rifle but am very confident of hitting a matchbox at 90yds but I cannot use this, the question comes up re

ricochet, as a responsible FAC holder I am totally responsible, and do not need some twit to tell me of the dangers. Good luck if you apply for a

licence, but be prepared for the grief that comes with it.

by the sounds of things licenses vary depending on the situation the only one I know of stipulated that only 3 birds could be shot with only one bird in any calender month, birds must be settled on the water and not in flight whether landing or taking flight from the water and can only be shot using a shotgun

by the sounds of things licenses vary depending on the situation the only one I know of stipulated that only 3 birds could be shot with only one bird in any calender month, birds must be settled on the water and not in flight whether landing or taking flight from the water and can only be shot using a shotgun While standing on one leg whistling Rule Britannia and balancing a sword vertically on top of your head

Fix that for you :D

I heard they would be put on the quarry list for 2013, but heard no more. It's not as if they are rare and they're definitely changing their habits and moving inland. Thirty years ago there were none round here, but now you can see up to 20 on HT wires or on trees at any one time. I don't know of any research into the problem, but it's my belief they've moved from the coast because of a lack of sand eels while there has been an explosion in the number of day-ticket coarse fisheries.