tooth ache

mikky

had tooth ache all weekend,went to the dentist this morning and been told i have an abcess....got pain killers and anti biotics...just noticed a small hard lump on my gum next to my tooth which i assume is the beginnings of the abcess working its way out.....the question is should i lance it....the pain is unbelievable considering how small it is...i dont drink anymore but i have just spied a bottle of vodka....... :/

mikky

Had this myself just before xmas and i feel for you, they bloody hurt. mine just burst on its own after a few days .

It sounds crazy but an old boy told me to put a used tea bag on the abscess and close your jaw on it, didnt cure it but seamed to help ease it a bit :good:

Three words to remember: Tee Tree Oil

Never be without it. Just put a few drops on your toothbrush and dab a bit on the affected area or put half a dozen drops in a very small amount of water and rinse it around your mouth. It takes the pain away in minutes and prevents it coming back.

Cocodamol the ones you dissolve in water the 500mg ones, get some down ya and lance the bledder, I did it lastyear mate and I went from going loony with the pain , to dancing round with joy as soon as I lanced it the pain went immediately , does taste like carp though,

I feel for you mate I'd rather be kicked in the nads than go thru that again, the lancing hurt like a good un but once it popped it was heaven, rinse with salt water

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Ouch, I feel for you mate.

I have been there, but like a fool left it for ages just taking the pain away with Ibruprofen, eventually went to the dentist and ended up having a root canal done.

I remember the foul taste running down the back of my throat, thinking it was the smoking antibiotic strips the dentist was putting into my gum only for the dentist to tell me after it was the puss from my abcess :sick: .

The root canal didn't work for me and I ended up having to have my tooth pulled, now got a great big gap where my tooth was.

Had a couple of abcesses over the past few years under a tooth, usually show up as a red swelling or small white bump on my gum, not yet found a painkiller that works with them, however if you to try the vodka just check the antibiotics they have put you on as there's one that dentists use for abcess treatment that has a particularly nasty reaction to alcohol, could make you feel ten times worse.

On the other hand as someone said to me, get someone to kick you in the nuts hard as the pain from that will take your mind off the toothache.........didn't try it funnily enough but I guess its an option if you get desperate...........

Had a couple of abcesses over the past few years under a tooth, usually show up as a red swelling or small white bump on my gum, not yet found a painkiller that works with them, however if you to try the vodka just check the antibiotics they have put you on as there's one that dentists use for abcess treatment that has a particularly nasty reaction to alcohol, could make you feel ten times worse.

On the other hand as someone said to me, get someone to kick you in the nuts hard as the pain from that will take your mind off the toothache.........didn't try it funnily enough but I guess its an option if you get desperate...........

That Sir is very salient, Mikki, if have been given metronidazole, don't drink a drop, although, the reaction will take your mind off the pain!

I can't condone home dentistry, suitable pain relief, mouthwash, brushing and a heat compress, if its no better, let (or ask) your dental surgeon to lance the abcess. From my little dental knowledge certain abcesses are best left to run their course, you can be left with large sinuses, which can compromise bone/teeth intregrity.

Go see your dentist again if you're no better in the morrow.

ibuprofen and amoxycillin topped up with paracetamol

Bless you, have you not been given some advice on using codeine as a 'rescue analgesia'?

Go and see your pharmacist at breaks dawn, it'll make the world of difference, space the pain relief out as much as you can to get 'linear' analgesia, but don't even as much as it hurts (it feels like you should but its no more efficient at overdose levels for killing pain than safe levels), take more paracetamol than you should....really really.

Good luck

I'd lance it

remember, taking antibiotics kills all the bacteria, good and bad, so worthwhile taking some probiotics too, to replace the good bacteria

double up on the antibiotics for 2 days to get them into your system, has he given you two types? as you have air breathing and non air breathing abscesses

Clove oil is good as someone has said. The best bit is that you are not restricted as to how much you use. Just rub a little on as and when. Tastes carp and you will have that alluring aura of someone who has just dropped one and is denying it, everyone looking at you.

:whistling: :whistling: :innocent::whistling: :whistling: