gun wood?

Keep the Walnut oil in the kitchen where it belongs. Use a proper stock oil; it's dead easy to make and costs very little. I use boiled Linseed oil, Carnauba wax and two flavours of Turpentine. Works well but is very slow drying. You could even buy some if you can't be bothered to make it...

I use Waxwing wood wax top stuff.

Don't whatever you do use gun oil on your wood.

Figgy

are you sure about that?its just a quick wipe over really, and the gun shop i bought a gun from originally told me to do that

if not then i would be ok to use this?

Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner
Edited by OvEr_KiLL

Over time gun oil soaks into the wood and softens it. Shotguns that have been over enthusiastically lubricated and are stored butt down will have the oil run down the barrels and through the action into the head of the stock, if it's been stored barrel down the oil will run into the forend wood instead.

I'm in the throes of refinishing the woodwork of my Miroku MK38 Gd5 trapgun, someone has done both of the above in the past and it's taken me hours to sweat the oil out of both stock and forend.

Over time gun oil soaks into the wood and softens it. Shotguns that have been over enthusiastically lubricated and are stored butt down will have the oil run down the barrels and through the action into the head of the stock, if it's been stored barrel down the oil will run into the forend wood instead.

I'm in the throes of refinishing the woodwork of my Miroku MK38 Gd5 trapgun, someone has done both of the above in the past and it's taken me hours to sweat the oil out of both stock and forend.

yeh i always store my gun barrel down in the cabinet

i think il get that stock conditioner, do i use it everytime i clean my gun or just like once a month?

thanx

yeh i always store my gun barrel down in the cabinet

i think il get that stock conditioner, do i use it everytime i clean my gun or just like once a month?

thanx

Just go easy with what you clean the metal parts of the gun with, it doesn't need to be soaked in oil, wipe off any surplus before you put it away. I only use stock oil on the woodwork and I only do it occasionally. If any of my guns get wet they're left disassembled to dry then cleaned and I'll definitely go over the woodwork then.

are you sure about that?its just a quick wipe over really, and the gun shop i bought a gun from originally told me to do that

if not then i would be ok to use this?

Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner

the only oil you should ever put on wood is linseed or walnut oil! Or any other natural wood oils! Never use oil for use on gun metal parts! It ruins the wood! Often can tell where excessive oil has seeped into wood, causing blackening swelling and even cracking!

the only oil you should ever put on wood is linseed or walnut oil! Or any other natural wood oils! Never use oil for use on gun metal parts! It ruins the wood! Often can tell where excessive oil has seeped into wood, causing blackening swelling and even cracking!

cheers mate, il order some birchwood stock sheen and conditioner stuff

what do you chaps use on the wood on your guns if anything? I use napier on the metal and currently give the stock a squirt of some stuff called woodsilk which is just a general wood polish, so just out of curiosity what do you use?

What finish do you currently have on your woodwork, is it oiled, waxed, laminated, whatever?

Out of curiosity is it rifle, shotgun or air rifle, and what is the type of wood?

Legia is fine to clean many finishes but some finishes will need a different approach.

Mk70 grade 5 12 gauge, oil finished stock, I was just curious what you chaps use to shine the stock up, so walnut oil seems to be the winner, I currently give the stock a wipe over with a polish called wood silk but ill see if I can get my hands on some walnut oil instead...

Mk70 grade 5 12 gauge, oil finished stock, I was just curious what you chaps use to shine the stock up, so walnut oil seems to be the winner, I currently give the stock a wipe over with a polish called wood silk but ill see if I can get my hands on some walnut oil instead...

how is the wood silk mate? i think im going to try it on my gloss wood

deffo the best stuff to use on walnut is walnut oil! And it smells lovely! Rub a little into it every time you use it not alot just a wee bit its surprising how little you need! Rub it in till your hands get warm! Over time the finnish will mature nicely! :good:

how is the wood silk mate? i think im going to try it on my gloss wood

Woodsilk still contains silicone and says in the fine print not for fine wood finnishes, I bought some and when I read the tin gave to the wife for furniture.

Use either stock wax any good make will do,or if your gun has a oil finish, use Walnut oil preperation like the Phillips stuff in the light brown box.

Don't use food grade Walnut oil as it dosent have the driers/hardeners in it.

One poster said he uses Brownings Leigia spray on his gun and stock, that's ok so long as its the green tin specifically for the wood, the red is pure gun oil only.

Figgy

Edited by figgy