Sectional concrete garages - what do you know

Mungler

The property in question is a domestic terraced house with a smallish back garden that has separate rear access (via a private service road) to the rear garden.

All the other properties down the street have done away with a the rear boundary fence / gate access and instead have installed across the whole width of the plot of the back gardens those pre-cast sectional concrete garage buildings - so everything goes through a garage door / roller shutter door to the service road and a door the other end of the building into the back garden.

It looks like I can get the bare bones frame of any old sectional pre-cast concrete garage off ebay (there's plenty of people clearing them away for 99p with buyer to dismantle and collect - it's a cheap way of getting rid, and especially so if there's an existing asbestos roof me thinks).

So, does anyone have any experience of these and any tips?

I've looked at the possibility of getting a firm in to do it from start to finish but none of them give any prices - I dunno if we are talking £1000 or £10,000.

I wasn't going to do any of it - I was going to get a builder to sort it. The question is, would it be better for me to get a second hand structure off ebay and then get the builder to erect it (and to source add hoc missing panels etc).

I am relaxed as to how to go, but the structure has to be secure. I'm going to rent it out for storage and the area ain't great. A concrete building with a roller shutter door will tick all the boxes. Oh and I want to spend as little as possible.

Cheers all.

The property in question is a domestic terraced house with a smallish back garden that has separate rear access (via a private service road) to the rear garden.

All the other properties down the street have done away with a the rear boundary fence / gate access and instead have installed across the whole width of the plot of the back gardens those pre-cast sectional concrete garage buildings - so everything goes through a garage door / roller shutter door to the service road and a door the other end of the building into the back garden.

It looks like I can get the bare bones frame of any old sectional pre-cast concrete garage off ebay (there's plenty of people clearing them away for 99p with buyer to dismantle and collect - it's a cheap way of getting rid, and especially so if there's an existing asbestos roof me thinks).

So, does anyone have any experience of these and any tips?

I've looked at the possibility of getting a firm in to do it from start to finish but none of them give any prices - I dunno if we are talking £1000 or £10,000.

I wasn't going to do any of it - I was going to get a builder to sort it. The question is, would it be better for me to get a second hand structure off ebay and then get the builder to erect it (and to source add hoc missing panels etc).

I am relaxed as to how to go, but the structure has to be secure. I'm going to rent it out for storage and the area ain't great. A concrete building with a roller shutter door will tick all the boxes. Oh and I want to spend as little as possible.

Cheers all.

Brother did this we moved it on a 7.5 ton flatback the sections are heavy bolts a pain to remove only had to carry the sections about 20 yards at the end legs where shakeing like a ----ing dog no we are not wimps this was a hard days work before we started puting it back up NEVER AGAIN

Edited by terence

I did this years ago, and as terence says, the bolts are a right pain to remove. If I ever did it again, I would just angle-grind them off and fit new ones. It absolutely is donkey work though, and the old asbestos/cement roof panels go brittle with age.

Are the bolts integral into the concrete i.e. on a one way ticket? If not, a quick trim with paddy's moped and new cut to suit threaded rods / bolts seems like the way to do it.

So access would also appear to be key.

There nut and bolts about 7 inch long can be cut with angle grinder one cuting one holding panel you are close together safety goggles a must corners need extra care

next door neighbour bought one of these looks pretty good quality but would imagine trying to find replacment panels more faff than cost of one delivered and errected?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONCRETE-GARAGE-83-x-161-SINGLE-SECTIONAL-CONCRETE-GARAGES-WITH-APEX-ROOF-/150805997544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item231cbce7e8

not sure on cost of concreted prepped base but sure a few on here can advise

Edited by maxus77

I haven't looked into it but do people go sectional garage to get round planning because its a temporary structure?

I can't but help think that something simple in block work will not be that far off the same cost of a new sectional garage from a company, but will look a million times better and can be built to width / purpose etc.

I suppose I should ask my conveyancing dept. when I get back to work eh? :lol:

I have seen it done,disposed of a few on ebay and watched some lads move one and it was donkey work,they dont come apart easily.and are often damaged in transit making for a difficult reassembly. panels will be manufactuer specific and made for the specific location in the construction,wooden doors and windows are low quality and often rotten,same for any pedestrian doors.Cost it up before you go ahead and compare to a new item.I bought an 18ftx15ft for £1500 erected,base extra of course.

I haven't looked into it but do people go sectional garage to get round planning because its a temporary structure?

I can't but help think that something simple in block work will not be that far off the same cost of a new sectional garage from a company, but will look a million times better and can be built to width / purpose etc.

I suppose I should ask my conveyancing dept. when I get back to work eh? :lol:

I would advise you to talk to your local planning authority about your plans about building a garage firstly and then mention to them about renting it out for storage presumably not for the use of the domestic property.

Regards

Hcc

Can you not buy a 20' steel container for about £500 and have a roller door fitted to the front you then have a shed / building which is bullet proof

You won't get a water tight container for that sort of money. A reasonable 20 ft will be nearer double that price then you have the cost of doors to add on.

Ahha, having just bought a container I 'know' the cheapest water tight ones round here and delivered are about £1600 plus vat. It's the "weigh in value" that keeps the prices high.

After all of this I reckon block work, pent felt roof and roller shutter. Ball park £5k but atleast it will be exactly to size and what's wanted, will look tidy and will stand the test of time.

The second hand sectional route would be cheaper, but the only saving is on the block work and then you're only swapping out donkey moving labour for brickies I.e the difference ain't worth worrying about.

Cheers all for helping me work it out and get there, it's appreciated

I moved an old pre fab garage across my garden and re erected it for use as a wood shed. What started off as a good looking garage soon became a mess - corners chipping off of the old panels, roof sections cracking etc because of their age. If it wasn't for it being my labour along with a mate helping and it being my garage in the first place I wouldn't have done it. The time alone spent cutting bolts, heaving stuff about etc makes it nearly as expensive as just lobbing blocks up and at the end of it it's only really good as a wood store which I'll grow plants over to mask. For me it was free - for you it will be a very poor investment!

If I were you I'd get it made from scratch with blocks (looks like that's what you're doing which is good). Put a damp membrane in the floor and double skin in 4" block with a damp course and insulation in the cavity. My block garage that I replaced the old pre fab with came to about £7k and it's double the size of a standard garage, warm and dry too! Stick a bed and a cooker in there and I could live in it.

Edited by njc110381

If the slotted posts that carry the panels are concrete you might have a hell of a job getting them out in one piece. Don'y knw if you can get new replacements.I demolished one once to build a blockwork garage for a client and getting the posts out was a pain.

If you bite the bullet and do it properly with blockwork cavity walls and a pitched roof don't waste money on lightweight thermal blocks on the inside, and if its big enough use steel purlins and a cut roof. Its no dearer than trusses and you can put a floor in for storage space if you want.

I built a double garage for a mate a couple of years ago. It was block and render with an insulated floated floor, tiled roof, couple of windows, electric roller door, steel pulins with roof lights and a small storage floor and it cost him £23,000. Just to give you some idea.

If you're handy as a chippy a timber garage would be another option. But unless you do it all yourself it won't be much cheaper. You know how chippies charge. Not like us poor brickies. :whistling:

Edited by Gimlet

we did this around 5yrs ago, BEWARE of the cheap ones, we got one for £5 via evil bay, hired a 7.5 tonne to go get it, just across the river in dartford, the easy access described by the seller was an alleyway that the lorry would not fit down, so back home and swapped for a luton, it then took us 2 trips with that, the asbestos roof went straight in a skip when we dismantled the garage (Im sure it was left there for us to use) on getting the rest home, it was apparent the concrete posts had deteriorated so much it was unusable, it ended up becoming a floor on a gazebo, we waited another year before finding another a few miles from home with a steel roof in very good condition, collected in my works transit in a few trips and cost us around £125, has an apex roof so lots more storage, so I'd say yes it can be done, but dont think cheap is good