Maximum kill range

Joshcup11

I'm not really sure I want to answer that! It's not about maximum range of the gun, it's about the maximum range of the shooter. Any rifle shooting between 11 and 12 ft/lb will be able to kill beyond the range of the shooter. That range is where you can GUARANTEE making a clean kill. You won't find many shooters zeroing their rifles beyond 40yds and won't shoot much beyond the 60yd mark. I've got a Daystate Mk4is and it's far better than the shooter! I've never shot beyond 45yds, but I know that unless something peculiar happens, I will make a clean kill.

There's a video of a chap making 80yd kills on youtube, but you should see the comments that were sparked when it got put up here!

although my rifles are probably capable of it, i would not attempt to shoot live quarry with a sub 12ftlb any further than 40 yrds, i can punch a paper target at 55yrds with a less than 10mm group in perfect conditions but stretching further than 40 yrds will only increase the chances of a wounding

i,m not for one second saying it cant be done, IMO its personel choice and dont forget the further the distance the more chance of the pellet straying off coarse due to wind etc,

i call it my safe zone and this is any distance between 20 and 40 yrds, at these distances i am confident of mine and the rifles ability to be spot on where i aim,

certainly would never attempt a shot at 70mtrs thats for sure,,no offence mole

70 metres is perfectly possible and carries enough power to kill, however conditions have to be ideal, no wind, right temperature, you have to be extremely careful on ranging and you have to be able to hit the target, but hunting at 70 metres is possible with a .177, experiment with Chairgun!

Edited by secretagentmole

The maximum range of a FT knock-over is 55 yds with a 40 mm kill disk, far bigger than the clean kill area on our quarry. Anyone who claim to do better than this in the field is full of you know what or just indulges themselves in shots which are too chancy to be justifiable. The best in the world will miss 40mm kill zones at 55 yds using the best kit, if they didn't it would take a long while to separate competitors in an event- FACT NO BS! Anyone who can hit a 1" dic at 70 m reliably will not only win everything they enter they will collect a large trophy cabinet in the process and a lot of free guns with sponsorship deals. Most 12 ft lb quality air rifles cannot hold 1" at 70 yds indoors let alone outdoors and the trajectory and wind drift is something scary a couple of feet let alone a couple of yards and your out the zone a 1mph wind shift, forget it! Fantasy land. 30-45 yds depending on conditions and stance, we are talking humane shooting here and there are no sighting shots in the field!

Personally i wouldnt shoot live quarry at more then 45 yds,how do you judge 45 yds with any degree of accuracy? .Simply set your scope on to a known /measured distance of 45 yds then move the focus ring until it just starts to lose that crystal clear sharpness of detail and thats it.

Not the most scientific of methods i'll grant you but its served me well both in the field on a H.F.T. shoot.

Edited by Jega

The rifle will shoot at lot further than you will be capble of for a while,practice on targets and learn to range accurate,then go out and use on live quarry,a .177 will kill at 30/40 yrds and go out to 60 yrds with a kill shot and further AT PAPER,but if you need to be shooting at such ranges you are getting to .22lr rimfire zone and not 12 flb air rifle.

kill zone on a rabbitt is 18-20mm, so whatever distance you can put 10/10 shots in that is your max, simple. don't forget there will be times when you'll have to reduce your range in the field because of weather conditions etc.

there was a bloke who used to challenge the 70 yard warriors to put a 20mm target at that range. he'd give you a tenner every time you hit it, and you give him a tenner every time you missed.

some easy money to be earned there for the 70 yard brigade :lol:

kill zone on a rabbitt is 18-20mm, so whatever distance you can put 10/10 shots in that is your max, simple. don't forget there will be times when you'll have to reduce your range in the field because of weather conditions etc.

there was a bloke who used to challenge the 70 yard warriors to put a 20mm target at that range. he'd give you a tenner every time you hit it, and you give him a tenner every time you missed.

some easy money to be earned there for the 70 yard brigade :lol:

Seems a good way to make money! Haha! Thankyou for your advice think the furthest ill try and shoot is around 35 yards. Any more and the rimfire will come out!

Josh :good:

This is not a dig or pop at you Jega , I also do hft and whilst it is good fun and good practice for the field at least you can alter your scope and also I find a laser rangefinder comes in very handy.

Steve

No problem mate , i still wont take a live target at a range i'm not sure of ,if it ain't clear in the scope it gets left or i try to get a bit closer to make sure of a nice clean kill.

I suppose it comes down to knowing your own and your gears capability ,and having enough experience to know when a shot is on or not..

I shoot long range constantley but i practice long range on a knockdown rabbits head quite often. Im comfortable at 50 60 70 meters..and 99.9% of the time my target dosnt get up. You need to know your set up well and have confidence in your ability...with practice will almost come perfection...ALMOST.!! Only last evening i was out with a mate and we where sat there waiting for crows and jackdaws...i got board and decided some long rang practice was needed..i ranged a stick at 70 meters and stuck one of our empty shoty cartriges on the top of it..the wind was about 12 15 mph...i took two attempts at trying to knock the cartridge off the stick but decided in the conditions the only way was to shot the stick lol...First shot and my silly quest was compleat lol.

Martin.

Most days I would say 40yards dependant on weather conditions. but on a warm still summers evening from a bipod or vehicle wing mirror i would strech to 50yards maybe 55 absolute tops. after that its definately time to break out the FAC Air to take you out to 70/75yards.

What ever you use practise, practise and practise some more. Rangefinders and bipods or sticks really help too as it takes guess work out and be patient for the right shot and take your time !

ATB

Matt