Lambs being killed by crows, help required!

Gibbybox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do let us all know how you get on :good:

Thanks for the response, I knew a few on here would be affected by this problem as well! Safe to say my dad's not a happy chappy either.

Stokie, I'm in Scotland though not sure how this affects things?

I'll have a go shooting them tomorrow and will keep an eye out to see where they roost. I've not had my license for very long so am keen to get out with the gun anyway!

Wish me luck...

It's better if you can shoot from the car. But you must put a pair of glasses.

Crows have the best eyes sight as we all know the first thing that's eaten is the eyes so crows can see a dead rabbits eyes from across the field.

Trust me if you're sitting in the best hide money can bye with the best cammo on it doesn't matter. crows can see you're eyes Like flashing lights in the dark.

Just imagine you're a crow flying over a nice hedge row. Hand on !!! You say to you're self. why has that hedge got a pair of eyes.

And off you fly at 100 mph. Flicking a finger at the hedge.

Ps good luck and keep them dropping.

I'd agree with that, it's the same when crows fly over you, they are not that bothered, look up at them and they get all jittery

Seems to be some confusion here-if there is enough birds leaving the roost site to make a din then they are Rooks and not crows-Crows live solitary lives most of the time.Rooks ,in my experience,are not interested in killing-they might peck at a carcass but spend most of their time eating insects and seeds.

I agree about rooks but we trust the op can tell the difference. juvenile crows form quite large packs right up until they mature and find a mate and behave similar

Hi folks. We're in the middle of lambing on the farm at the moment which is going well considering the weather conditions!

However, we have a problem with new born lambs being pecked to death by what I can only assume is crows? It may be a buzzard though I'd have thought it would have ripped the lamb apart instead of just picking at its eyes and back end...

I'm thinking of placing a dead lamb covered in fresh afterbirth in the same spot and hide in a nearby wood to tempt the ******* to come in again and I'll gave them some 32g 6s to worry about. Any tips on method? I don't actually have any decoys so will be relying on a fair bit of luck, or do you think that it's a waste of time?

Thanks in advance!

Gibby

Not sure if it's legal to use dead livestock, but you could get a dead rabbit and use that. Put the rabbit on its back, and cut the belly open so the insides are hanging out, that should tempt a few crows in if it's in the right place. It's usually used with a decoy, but it would probably work without.

Or you could use a fake nest. Again, usually done using a decoy but it works without.

I know the farmer who was done, the daft thing is he was done on a technicality, if he had killed the lamb for his own consumption and then deemed part if it as unfit he would have been ok (his augment was that he could have bought chops from the butcher to bait the trap and that would have been fine, but instead had used fallen stock)

rabbits should be fine

I find the best way is a slow drive round with a 4x4, crows are used to seeing slow farm vehicles, rifle out of the drivers and or passengers window and you are in business.

We've tried this also.You can get the odd one with a rf but they all burger off after the first shot,but more usually as soon as the vehicle stops they take flight.We have also had 'drive by's' with shotgun,which can be fun,but also,not really efficient.

Those we do get we have started hanging on the fences and feeders.Seems to have some effect.

As a sheep farmer I sympathize with you.

You will probably find it's the same culprits doing all the damage. As you suggested, I find putting some fresh dead lambs out as bait works, better still is a dead ewe with her guts slit open. Put the carcase somewhere where you can drive past to see if anything on it and then creep up out of sight to take your shot if there is.

There is no law against shooting vermin that is scavenging on a poor old ewe that has died overnight !!

If you do require an extra gun, I,m always willing to lend a hand :good:

Thanks for the response, I knew a few on here would be affected by this problem as well! Safe to say my dad's not a happy chappy either.

Stokie, I'm in Scotland though not sure how this affects things?

I'll have a go shooting them tomorrow and will keep an eye out to see where they roost. I've not had my license for very long so am keen to get out with the gun anyway!

Wish me luck...

As a sheep farmer I sympathize with you.

You will probably find it's the same culprits doing all the damage. As you suggested, I find putting some fresh dead lambs out as bait works, better still is a dead ewe with her guts slit open. Put the carcase somewhere where you can drive past to see if anything on it and then creep up out of sight to take your shot if there is.

There is no law against shooting vermin that is scavenging on a poor old ewe that has died overnight !!

indeed, but don't leave them out too long

No not realy, trading standards had been watching the old boy that was prosecuted, it was off the beaten track and they had no doubt trespassed to get the pics they used against him, be careful!

Edited by Paul223

Crows will roost together, Maybe not so much this time of year but they will quite happily roost in numbers as do they feed in numbers.

They will also roost with jackdaws and rooks.

As for keeping em off the lambs could be pretty much a full time job unfortunately

karpman

I think the first thing u want to do is try and I.D ur culprits, u can only kill corvids under the general licence for specific reasons in specific ways (don't worry not that complicated)

If carrion or magpies u are probably better off with a larsen trap, probably the corbie/carrion crow will be favourite for this. (if larsen trapping have to provide various things food /water/shelter/perch for call/decoy bird)

If jackdaws but iwould not expect them to attacka lamb like that u can use a multi catch trap (ladder/funnel trap

To use a corvid trap in scotland u have to phone local cop shop speak to wildlife crime officer and ask for a operators number, which they give u over phone, u then stick a poster/card on trap with ur operator no and police station number saying legal trap. Sounds alot off hassle but not bad really. I think SGA sell laminated posters for ur traps and u just add ur number.

If it's a raven, i've no idea wot u do, Protected so u will have to apply for a licence to kill them, I'd phone up scottish basc or SGA and get there advice if ur a member

Unfortunately I never got a chance to have a go at the crows today... With the smashing weather we were flat out punting ewes and lambs out to the field and bringing the next lots in!

I think I'll do some reading up on corvid identification and have a bash at them in the next few days.

Thanks all for your help, I'll be sure to post my bag if I have any luck :good:

ladder and larsen traps are a must, shoot with the rifle when you get chance, shot gun on roost

Agreed Larsen trap is the answer, the carrion or hoody crow is the most cautious of wild animals but is a sucker for a LArsen trap with call bird enroaching its territory. Must sheep farmers and shepherds I have known hate carrion/hoodie crows with a passion. Being unequipped with talons to hold any prey the crow goes for for the eyes to immobilise the likes of a ewe laid up on itsd back , or in the process of lambing.

Blackpowder

Highsea's. Don't want to seem like a boring auld sod but mibee u shouldnae be putting post's up like that, in the pr type climate we live in now.

I know it is a joke or throw away comment but sort off thng the bunny hugin numpties would love to pick up on if u know wot i mean.

U could try finding there nest's and shooting them out

I take it u don't have any neighbouring keepers that could give u a bit off advice, show u the ropes

Agreed Larsen trap is the answer, the carrion or hoody crow is the most cautious of wild animals but is a sucker for a LArsen trap with call bird enroaching its territory. Must sheep farmers and shepherds I have known hate carrion/hoodie crows with a passion. Being unequipped with talons to hold any prey the crow goes for for the eyes to immobilise the likes of a ewe laid up on itsd back , or in the process of lambing.

Blackpowder

carrion call bird in a lightly netted meter square box in the middle of a ladder trap, with water food etc, will bring in all-sorts once the commotion starts

Edited by Paul223

You really need to PM me if you are going to use a trap it will have to be registered with your local wildlife liason policeman and a tag attached and do not use a gun until you have correctlly Identified the culprit as one available on the general licence (Scotland) 2013. Highseas I think you may have used a Flag word to bring this post some unwanted attention.

Edited by vulpicide