Shooting Hares

saab6110

Well if you must know it's a simple calculation of livestock stocking rates and dry matter consumption.

A Brown Hare for example is calculated thus. Liveweight raised to the power of 9,75 to obtain metabolic rate, then intake calculated as kilo of dry matter per kilo of metabolic rate. Which equals 0.167 x -0.044.

From this you will see that a fully grown Brown Hare = .3 and an average Scotish Mule = 1, therefore by simply multiplying rural livestock units one calculates how many sheep = one cow and thus how many hares = one cow.

Simple really.

:lol:

And that was that!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year any damage by hares or rabbits will be more noticable due to the slow growing conditions crops won't be sprinting away the way they should and also the price off most crops from grass (silage or grazing/seasonal let) or ceral is throu the roof this year and most people will be short on reserves with the poor year last 2 years.

It really is a triple whammy for the farmer poor growing conditions, low feed reserves and high expected prices so damage that a farmer may tolerate in a normal year when silage pit's and grain silo's are full is different to when there strugglin and every bite or head of grain will be needed.

Ur just lucky to have as many hares around

It's the same with deer folk get squeemish about shooting roe late (not ideal but if ur cull is low u need too) but same people have no problem shooting munties which u want to be as heavily pregnant as possible.

There is a lot of hypocracy and double standards/morals in shooting but each to their own as long as they are happy

Clarissa Dickson-Wright (hope that's spelled right) states in one of her game cookery books that "a grown hare eats 40lb of greens per week". She's a lady that I reckon knows a thing or two! If correct I'm not surprised farmers want them shot on their land this year especially, for all the reasons given in Scotslads post above.

They are truly handsome creatures and I personally would prefer they were subject of a closed season to allow breeding but in the end they can be a serious pest and they do taste nice, so if a breeding season can't be afforded because of crop damage at least they can provide some tasty meals!

Clarissa Dickson-Wright (hope that's spelled right) states in one of her game cookery books that "a grown hare eats 40lb of greens per week". She's a lady that I reckon knows a thing or two! If correct I'm not surprised farmers want them shot on their land this year especially, for all the reasons given in Scotslads post above.

They are truly handsome creatures and I personally would prefer they were subject of a closed season to allow breeding but in the end they can be a serious pest and they do taste nice, so if a breeding season can't be afforded because of crop damage at least they can provide some tasty meals!

She's not that far out.

If you use my calculations in post 18 you will see that .3 kg of DM/day = 2.10 kg/week.

Now if we assume that fresh cut grass has a DM equivalent of 15% DM then simple arrithmatic gives us a hares weekly consumption of grass of 32 lbs.

Had a quick look around my permission earlier, seen 6 hares and 1 rabbit (as well as pigeons, crows etc)

Bumped into farmer on way off, he told me to shoot the hares as there is loads of them at minute

I'll be waiting for a few months until they have stopped breeding

Had a quick look around my permission earlier, seen 6 hares and 1 rabbit (as well as pigeons, crows etc)

Bumped into farmer on way off, he told me to shoot the hares as there is loads of them at minute

I'll be waiting for a few months until they have stopped breeding

good idea then there will be Evan more munching his fields

good idea then there will be Evan more munching his fields

He never said they were a problem to him, just said shoot them as there is loads of them

If he said they were a problem to him I would shoot them this time of year

Until he tells me otherwise and they are munching his fields I will leave them alone until later in the year

Please be aware of the new code of practice on hare management that was issued in March. You can find a copy on the BASC website here: http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressreleases.cfm/prid/180CE492-8856-4938-9FC93D106B8EEE2E

This code was produced at the request of the government and was compiled by BASC, the CA, the CLA, NGO, Moorland Association, Tenant Farmer's Association and the GWCT.

Christopher

It is a well known "Code of Practice", which makes very clear the situation with Hare varies a LOT throughout the country. (there are virtually NO Hare in Berkshire)

I don't think anyone here is making any suggestion about shooting Hare for "Fun", there is reason behind control which is perfectly legitimate.

:yes::good:

At the moment Dekers, the way it goes if too many egits get it too wrong we will end up with a close season like Scotland which to my mind could be very bad for Hares. It will mean people can't leave them alone in case they get out of control numbers wise

Young hares eat well cooked however you fancy. Older hares have a stronger flavour, if that is too much for you or you want to make them more tender a good marinade in beer or even better cyder overnight tames them down. Even young hares are better cooked in booze I think. I only eat pheasant as fresh as chicken though, bit of a lightweight :lol:

What you shoot and when you shoot it tends to be at the behest of the landowner :/

I have a question, you guys you don't have any shame shooting an animal blinded by your high powered flash lights?

In civilized Europe, only the poachers are doing what you do!

What is your explanation in your deference

eh?

I have a question, you guys you don't have any shame shooting an animal blinded by your high powered flash lights?

What is your explanation in your deference ???

Its pest control and the most effective way of doing so.

In Europe driven big game is common I don't call that civilized but each to their own.

late in here, theres a split between ethical seasonal shooting and doing the pest control job, wether we like it or not some farmers are desperate and need it sorting out now, not in 5-10 thousand pounds time, it more that a close down price when a bad year comes along.

the same issue arrise with the young rabbit issue...i dont like it, but..losing a shoot? afarm shutting down and heading into corperate land death and over fertalising? ( i tend to leave the young as a rule of thumb btw)

Edited by stoogey

Trying to explain to the farmer that what he perceives as a problem at the moment should be allowed to multiply seems a bit futile to me to be honest.

Karpman

+1

If someone tried to advise me on what is sporting and should be controlled on my land the next person to knock on my door would get all the permission.

Feeding back to the landowner and advising what is actually doing the damage after a year of monitoring and shooting the land is something I would do. I would also do almost exactly what they asked if legal.

late in here, theres a split between ethical seasonal shooting and doing the pest control job, wether we like it or not some farmers are desperate and need it sorting out now, not in 5-10 thousand pounds time, it more that a close down price when a bad year comes along.

the same issue arrise with the young rabbit issue...i dont like it, but..losing a shoot? afarm shutting down and heading into corperate land death and over fertalising? ( i tend to leave the young as a rule of thumb btw)

Again if we were discussing the ethics of shooting on our own land and it was our purse that was hurting opinions may be different.

What is your explanation in your deference ???

?.

The light is used because at last check I can't see in the dark. It doesn't blind, it in fact makes them aware and encourages them to bolt.

Actually that was a weighted question, you can't educate pork.

Add - should have said only when legal. The law has been created to tell me what I can and can not do.

Edited by jamiedenny

?.

The light is used because at last check I can't see in the dark. It doesn't blind, it in fact makes them aware and encourages them to bolt.

Actually that was a weighted question, you can't educate pork.

i like it...

every one has a noble nosion on this and that, one of the sillier ones (in my apinion) is having to scare 5000 wood pigions of your crop, now on the one hand if you do actualy scare them off, will they think ahh well better starve to death, or will they just go next door and strip that crop, and the next, so the law sais (unless licenced to do other) not aloud to use lighting at night or NV divises? hmmm...

to much romance can be serious problem lol.