Those cheap B&Q / off eBay safes

Mungler

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are bouncing the solonoid. That safe has a really week one not all are like that but they are venerable to attack in this way and quite a few other ways of easy entry that the kids on YouTube ain't figured out yet lol.

Always go for key locking much more secure. But still you get what you pay for. A proper safe your looking at a start of 200 upwards. Iv seen these 30 quid safes with 20/30 grand in. Always amazes me. If your keeping valuables in maybe un replaceable family items why skimp!!!!

The insurance assessor has been and said he'd never seen a safe opened with the safes own locking bars bent.

Coupled with the marks on the safe and the noise reported by the neighbour they reckon a small chisel was smashed between the door and side of the safe and then a jemmy used.

The MIL won't be making a claim for the contents of the safe, there wasn't enough of value in there. She's chuffed to bits though because she's getting a new back door and patio door.

I know these safes are poop, I just didn't know how poop. Anyone who has installed one of these (and knows how light they are) wants to have a look at a similar sized safe thats insurance rated to £5k. Two blokes would struggle to move the insurance approved safe.

Locking tin box would be a better description so everyone ones where they are :lol:

these are only a minor deterrent you are always better hiding the safe well, amazing though they didn't make the bolts of a better quality metal as the cost considerations must be tiny, my guessing is if it didn't open they would have had it off the wall and taken it with them. As for whoever reckoned the brattonsound ones might be similar have a proper look they are quite substantial bolts on them and I can't see them bending in the same way.

these are only a minor deterrent you are always better hiding the safe well, amazing though they didn't make the bolts of a better quality metal as the cost considerations must be tiny, my guessing is if it didn't open they would have had it off the wall and taken it with them. As for whoever reckoned the brattonsound ones might be similar have a proper look they are quite substantial bolts on them and I can't see them bending in the same way.

Never had a close look at them - the bolts look the same to me in the pictures though. 2mm steel may well bend easily before the bolds though.

Check out this video - about half way through they break into what looks like a pretty good safe.

If they want it - they'll get it. Safe + alarm seems best. Safe will only slow them down.

If they want it - they'll get it. Safe + alarm seems best.

I go one better safe plus GWP no need for an alarm that people just assume is a false alarm :yes:

one things for sure the ex convicts we have currently doing door to door sales round here seem to be quite psychologically affected by the GWP deterrent.

The man said that safe was about $1000, roughly £750.00 i would of thought for that money you would get something very good.

Eurosafes start at about 500 pounds for something the size of a shoebox. One advantage they had in that video was leverage - and the safe was on its back giving the chap the the crow bar the opportunity to use his weight on that long lever. I wonder how far he would have gotten if it was next to a wall where he could not get a large lever in, and also bolted to a wall.

Makes you wonder how safe shotgun safes are. The Brattonsound ones have a similar bolting mechanism, but only 2mm steel plate.

Brattonsound, INFAC, Sentry etc make gun cabinets not safes, theres a BIG difference. :/

I know for a fact that both my gun cabinet and ammo safe could be opened in minutes by someone who knows what they're doing and/or is well prepared with cutting equipment. Its all i can afford and it satisfies the HO requirements so thats what i've got.

As has already been said, you could have a bank grade vault but if someone puts a gun/knife to your head are you really going to not open it :no:

A proper small safe......Eurograde 0 similar size to the £50 ones..... http://www.littlesafe.co.uk/product.php/2030/473/rottner_comsafe_toscana_range_euro_grade_0_with_key_or_electronic_lock_6_000_cash_rated_safes

Note the weight.......

300x420x390mm 220x350x295mm 22 ltr 38 kg 1

Just big enough for A4 papers.......

This is a gun safe (check the weight!)

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/burton-ranger-g1e-8-gun-safe.html

Edited by HDAV

I have one of these little safes for keeping the odd item which my wife can get at - she can't get in the substantial gunsafe.

After seeing Mungler's MIL's safe, I took it apart - hence the photos. Spent a few minutes tonight removing all locks, key pads, welding a plate over all the holes - welding a proper locking system. At least it will offer a little more resistance.

I have one of these little safes for keeping the odd item which my wife can get at - she can't get in the substantial gunsafe.After seeing Mungler's MIL's safe, I took it apart - hence the photos. Spent a few minutes tonight removing all locks, key pads, welding a plate over all the holes - welding a proper locking system. At least it will offer a little more resistance.

Gordon, nice job. I wondered where you got that photo from.

Sexy looking substantial 'bars' hooked upto the most flimsy bit of plate.

Eye opener all round.

HDAV good link to that safe - I have exactly the same one but I got charged twice that by the local locksmith company :lol: cheeky fookers

HDAV good link to that safe - I have exactly the same one but I got charged twice that by the local locksmith company :lol: cheeky fookers

You can afford to support the local company mung.............. I have come across a fair few safes in my time they crop up in all sorts of places.....