decoying my back garden

lap9387

So... I was playing in the garden with my children and noticed that theres a woodie nest in one of my trees...

They where also flying round my garden and sitting on he fence.... could I decoy my garden and nab a few with my rapid 7 to use as decoys out in the field?

theoretically, yes. It does work, however under the rules of the general license, really they should only be shot as part of pest control. If they're eating the beans and peas on the veg patch, or eating so much feed on the bird tables that the intended birds aren't able to feed, or if they're taking food from poultry, destroying fruit tree crops then that's fine. Outside of this it gets a bit murky, as they're not considered a pest! Here's the truncated form of the law from the BASC website:
'All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:

• to prevent serious damage (e.g. to crops and livestock) or to
    prevent disease
  • to protect conserve flora and fauna
  • to protect public health or safety'

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/shooting/airgunning/air-rifles.cfm

Cheers chris!...

Best buy myself a bird table!

no need, they are constantly messing on a daily used pathway, which when wet by rain, makes it slippery and a health hazard,

having a bird table maybe seen as enticing them down, which is a no no

Woodpigeons in the garden, a no no for me.

Shoot hundreds a year out in the fields yet i spend every morning watching them in the garden while having breakfast, wouldn't ever shoot the garden pigeons. But thats maybe just me.

Edited by TJ91

Thats a good point... I gues ill just leave them.... got all excited at first, now I think ill just leave them...

When i was younger I wouldn't of thought twice about putting a pellet in a pigeon if it was in range but as i have grown up I have learnt to appreciate little things like being able to sit and watch the resident pigeons going about their daily business in the garden. They are (to me) a fascinating bird. The behaviour at different times of year, the fights, mating rituals, colours, there's plenty to see if you just watch.

I appreciate and respect all my quarry.

I do not see a pest, vermin, game or wildfowl and instantly think 'bang'

Maybe i am abit soft.

When i was younger I wouldn't of thought twice about putting a pellet in a pigeon if it was in range but as i have grown up I have learnt to appreciate little things like being able to sit and watch the resident pigeons going about their daily business in the garden. They are (to me) a fascinating bird. The behaviour at different times of year, the fights, mating rituals, colours, there's plenty to see if you just watch.

I appreciate and respect all my quarry.

I do not see a pest, vermin, game or wildfowl and instantly think 'bang'

Maybe i am abit soft.

Nice attitude mate , exactly as I see it also , but if I'm honest magpies are a exception

got four woodies in my garden - wouldnt think of shooting them, can learn a lot by sitting and watching. put a cage over the bird table so the small birds can get in , the woodies have found they cant get to the grub, they sit and watch when a garden bird goes to the table they fly down sit underneath and wait for overspill and there is a pecking order out of the four.

think there are a large amount of 'domesticated' woodies if everyone statred popping them in the gardens would this affect the population in any way as i bet they would be so easy to decoy/shoot

asTJ91 said maybe im going a bit soft - roost wood in feb with a good wind now thats different..........atb - thanks

Luckily I live in the sticks as well and enjoy all sorts in the garden including rabbits,woodies and even pheasants that got so tame when we fed them they used to peck at the back door when they were hungry !!

With regard to the woodies It's a good opportunity to study your opponent at close range , check the colouring etc so you can tweak your decoys, how they feed in relation to the wind and each other, head up a--e down or a--e down head up etc etc.

Just my opnion of course.

kind regards

So... ive got myself a bird table, feeders and scattered my lawn with xmwal worms and seed.....

It looked beautiful within a few hours. ..

Blue tits, finch, black birds and FIVE woodies...

Then they all scattered, disappeared out of sight as next doors cat came through the fence...

Nothing has been back all day!

Gutted :-(

So... ive got myself a bird table, feeders and scattered my lawn with xmwal worms and seed.....

It looked beautiful within a few hours. ..

Blue tits, finch, black birds and FIVE woodies...

Then they all scattered, disappeared out of sight as next doors cat came through the fence...

Nothing has been back all day!

Gutted :-(

Just pick the cat up and throw it in a bin

Woodpigeons in the garden, a no no for me.

Shoot hundreds a year out in the fields yet i spend every morning watching them in the garden while having breakfast, wouldn't ever shoot the garden pigeons. But thats maybe just me.

Same as that. I used to blat them but got rather attached to the few that have made it their home. I never like shooting the fields near my house as at the back of my mind theres always the thought that I'm going to kill the pet ones. Luckily for them I couldn't hit a barn door at 5 paces with a handful of grit so they may well live to a ripe old age.