BRNO rifle

Well, after almost 19 years of using my BRNO Model 2 .22LR rifle, I've finally got rid of it today. I bought the rifle from LITTS (now Sportsman Guncentre) in Newport. It was 2nd hand but in mint condition. Over the years, I have shot many 1000's of rounds through it, mainly Winchester SuperX sub sonics. I noticed recently, that I could not get the usual good grouping with it, and went through a process of eliminating the cause. I cleaned the barrel, but still bad grouping. I tried a different scope, but the same result. Everything else was fine with the rifle, a good crown and the SAK moderator was okay too. I just did'nt have any more faith in it.

So today, I went to look at a very good condition 2nd hand CZ452 American, as I have one in .17HMR, but liked the look at the CZ452 Sillouette. I opted to buy a new one of these. I got a little bit of trade in for the BRNO, which I was happy with. The annoying part is that I now have to wait for the 1-1 variation to be processed before I can pick up my new rifle. I checked with South Wales Police this morning, and was told that the variation process should only take a maximum of two weeks. My application was sent off this afternoon. I have always had good service from the S.W. Police firearms department, and hope that they continue to give this service in the future. I'm looking forward to getting the new rifle and after zeroing it, going out after some rabbits.

did you check the crown on the old gun?

Yes, as mentioned in my post. It was strange for this rifle to go from a very accurate one, to one that would not hold groups, within a short space of time.

Anyway, it was about time I treated myself to a new rifle, so this was the excuse I needed. Even my wife, who came to the shop with me, agreed that a new one would be a better option.

I've the exact same set up, & also had it for aprox the same amount of time as yourself....be a sad day that I'll have to part with it.

Incidentally, how long was the period from it grouping, to not grouping.?

I'm not too sure. It started with me missing a few shots (not unusual with any caliber :) ) and I started blaming myself. Doing a bit of target shooting a few weeks ago, and I just could not get a good group on the target. Sometimes 2 or 3 shots grouped good, then the other 2 were all over the place. My mate tried the rifle as well, and he had the same results. After cleaning the barrel and then firing around 100 rounds through it just to bed it in again, I tried to get tight groups,but failed.

It's a shame really, because I have had this rifle all these years and it was my favourite rimfire.

Good luck with the new rifle Steve - I have a .22lr & .17 hmr both CZ 452 Silhouettes.

Cheers mate. I have the 452 .17HMR American, and it's brilliant. I know my new one will be equally as good. I've fired a few 452's in .22LR many times. I'm looking forward to getting the new one and zeroing it. In the meantime, I'll just have to use 'one of my other ones'! :whistling::lol:

i hope you like the rifle, mine is great. after giving it a good clean at the weekend I managed to put two rounds through the same hole at 70 yards. I must remember to dig out the target and put up a "i dont believe it myself post" :lol: .

always sad to see an old one go though; i have never heard over rifling wear on a .22 but i guess it could be technically possible after a huge amount of shooting (ignorance showing here).

I am having exactly the same problem with my BRNO mod 2 just now. It went from being a fairly accurate gun to shooting 3" groups at 60 yards in a very short space of time. I gave the rifle a really good clean and floated the barrel which hadn't been floating before and it did improve groups slightly but not much. The gun was secondhand to me from my wife's uncle who had put many thousands of rounds through I have put thousands through it too. I honestly think that the barrel is just worn out which is a shame because I really like the rifle. I didn't think a .22 could wear out but when I thought the amount of bullets that have gone down the barrel that have come out of pockets and pick-up or tractor cubby holes full of grit and carp that stick to the wax on the bullet its no wonder if its worn.

... out of pockets and pick-up or tractor cubby holes full of grit and carp that stick to the wax on the bullet its no wonder if its worn.

Yeah, and age too remember, my mod 2 is 2nd/3rd/4th hand and has seen 000`s of rounds too and eventually damp will creep in amongst the general wear and tear these great little guns go through. I`m just glad I paid @ £20 for mine :D

Yeah, and age too remember, my mod 2 is 2nd/3rd/4th hand and has seen 000`s of rounds too and eventually damp will creep in amongst the general wear and tear these great little guns go through. I`m just glad I paid @ £20 for mine :D

I can better that as I got mine for nowt :D:D:D LOL.

I was having a look at the CZ 453 premium :hmm: probably no more accurate than a standard CZ but they are pretty.

Doing a bit of target shooting a few weeks ago, and I just could not get a good group on the target. Sometimes 2 or 3 shots grouped good, then the other 2 were all over the place

I had the same a few years ago, it was a batch of Winchester 40g ammo, patterned like buckshot, swapped back to a box from the previous batch & was back on target.

Sure you've tried that though..

I had the same a few years ago, it was a batch of Winchester 40g ammo, patterned like buckshot, swapped back to a box from the previous batch & was back on target.

Sure you've tried that though..

Yes, I did think it may have been a bad batch of ammunition, so I took some old stock that I had. I found the same problem with them, and I also tried some Eley sub's as well, with the same results.

Anyway, although I am sorry to see the BRNO go, I'm looking forward to getting the new CZ452.

Don't wish to appear unhelpful but your old rifle is worn out / inaccurate and you are trading it in rather than scrapping it ?

I actually took the BRNO to the RFD to be scrapped,as I did'nt want anything for it, but as the stock was in very good condition, and the RFD had a use for it, he gave me a discount off the new rifle. So to me, that was a 'trade in'. I would never sell or part ex anything that I knew to be worn out or at fault, especially a firearm.

Did your RFD consider chopping it,re-crowning and then seeing what it would do? Might make a handy little vehicle .22 for someone.Unless the entire length is shot of course.

The barrel had already been chopped to 16" and re-crowned years ago. I think the RFD will keep things like the bolt and trigger mechanism, and scrap the rest. I kept the 5 shot magazine which will fit my new CZ452.

keep looking at the 452 and thinking that its very very like a BSA . Was there a connection?

The CZ and BSA are totally different companies.

could the scope be u/s

As mentioned in my original post, I changed the scope and still had the same problem.

I take it that you tried cleaning the trigger, and checked the poundage?

A CZ trigger kit was fitted by myself a few years ago, and the trigger was around 1.5lbs.