Getting let down.

will_gleave

Why don't these people get named, then at least it doesn't ruin it for the rest of us. In fact we could have a thread where people who have been honest and reliable could be recommended. At least people would have their reputation on here to loose

That's a great idea

Why don't these people get named, then at least it doesn't ruin it for the rest of us. In fact we could have a thread where people who have been honest and reliable could be recommended. At least people would have their reputation on here to loose

Because most who do it probably don't even know that pigeonwatch exists so it wouldn't make any difference.

Because most who do it probably don't even know that pigeonwatch exists so it wouldn't make any difference.

This is again is true non of the people i have offered too are on here, its mainly people from shhoting clubs and people that ask me if they can come to get into the sport.

i would name them but run the risk of a ban...they are still on this forum tho...

there are a good few lads on here that i would take out again and again..and ive met some really nice guys off here as well and had some good shoots but its the odd one that ruin it..

Flipping heck !!!!

I was going to say that I find it rather annoying that I cannot take others out, due to my small farm being part of an estate which operates a permit only shooting system.

The cheek of some people is quite shocking, especially the stories of people returning uninvited !!!

i would name them but run the risk of a ban...they are still on this forum tho...

there are a good few lads on here that i would take out again and again..and ive met some really nice guys off here as well and had some good shoots but its the odd one that ruin it..

Why would you run the risk of a ban mate?

I can't believe some people would agree to turn up, then beg off at the last minute,

I'd love some pigeon shooting, been looking around where I live and there are no pigeons to been seen.

Was waiting till i saw some before offering my services to the farmer but that hasent happend yet.

Is it worth just letting the farmer know you are around even if his land is not been hit.

Pigeon man and raptor, im going up tomorrow to see whats going on not been up for a few weeks and ill see if anythings about and try work out where the farms are joining the current farm as there are a few ponds on there which are half on one farm half on mine wich have a lot of ducks on, and im sure the other farms with livestock wont want foxs either.

Al bring al bacon buttys and coffee :good:

I still don't know who it was. But as far as I'm concerned its not my problem albeit a little annoying. Its a police matter as its armed trespass. If i see any vehicles and people who i don't recognize on the land they can explain themselves to the police. I have worked damn hard to build the trust and permission i enjoy from this landowner and its annoys me that people just turn up and assume.

Niel; When i got permission on my permission, from face value asside from rabbits it seemed there was nothing much else. Farms attract pests and some pests become seasonal in my experience. If the farmer knows you to be reliable and trustworthy, and your getting the job done quickly, he will come back to you. If you go out after rabbits on land where you know there is thousands, and come back with two, the farmer might start questioning your skills and therefor how useful you are. Also pests can be a bit seasonal; geese have open and closed seasons, but they hit some of the land i shoot on hard, so we have to do that when we can. When the evenings draw out you get on top of the rabbits, When the farmer spills some grain you suddenly end up with the best crow shooting. When they clear out silage clamps and sugarbeat clamps you get great rat shooting. Stables and barns attract feral pigeons, if your near a town you can end up with entire colonies to get rid of. The pests to control on a farm are seemingly endless, pigeon shooting isn't the only thing to control, some of the best shooting i have ever had has been rat shooting.

Just my experience. I would let him know your willing!

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't know who it was. But as far as I'm concerned its not my problem albeit a little annoying. Its a police matter as its armed trespass. If i see any vehicles and people who i don't recognize on the land they can explain themselves to the police. I have worked damn hard to build the trust and permission i enjoy from this landowner and its annoys me that people just turn up and assume.

Niel; When i got permission on my permission, from face value asside from rabbits it seemed there was nothing much else. Farms attract pests and some pests become seasonal in my experience. If the farmer knows you to be reliable and trustworthy, and your getting the job done quickly, he will come back to you. If you go out after rabbits on land where you know there is thousands, and come back with two, the farmer might start questioning your skills and therefor how useful you are. Also pests can be a bit seasonal; geese have open and closed seasons, but they hit some of the land i shoot on hard, so we have to do that when we can. When the evenings draw out you get on top of the rabbits, When the farmer spills some grain you suddenly end up with the best crow shooting. When they clear out silage clamps and sugarbeat clamps you get great rat shooting. Stables and barns attract feral pigeons, if your near a town you can end up with entire colonies to get rid of. The pests to control on a farm are seemingly endless, pigeon shooting isn't the only thing to control, some of the best shooting i have ever had has been rat shooting.

Just my experience. I would let him know your willing!

Well said, I,m trying all the same, regardless of season and prey!!

Well would you belive it, one of my so called mates who's been shooting with me before has well, you guessed it let me down last min again. This is the third weekend in a row hes done it now, 2 weeks ago he rang me the day before to say he couldnt come his dad was ill and wanted to make sure hes ok, last weekend he rang me 2 days before an said hes going to have to cover someone at work thats called in sick. I accepted these as genuine reasons, but this has just taken the pi$$, he rang me thursday to ask if we were shooting this weekend i said yes saturday both ok with that, he calls me late last night asks can we make it sunday, i stupidly say yes rang the farmer first thing this morning apoplogised and rearranged for sunday morning. Hes just rang now after i was expecting him to turn up 3 hours ago to sort things out, to start giving me this sob story about how he's fed up an that he cant come now because his work have rang and said he has to work tomorrow morning, bla bla bla more sob story, but it was echoey while he was speaking didnt make anything of it until i heard a load noise an someone shout his name an that they'd got him another pint in, the phone went dead an now its switched off, what an ****, shooting alone tomorrow as cant let the farmer down.

Edited by will_gleave

Well would you belive it, one of my so called mates who's been shooting with me before has well, you guessed it let me down last min again. This is the third weekend in a row hes done it now, 2 weeks ago he rang me the day before to say he couldnt come his dad was ill and wanted to make sure hes ok, last weekend he rang me 2 days before an said hes going to have to cover someone at work thats called in sick. I accepted these as genuine reasons, but this has just taken the pi$$, he rang me thursday to ask if we were shooting this weekend i said yes saturday both ok with that, he calls me late last night asks can we make it sunday, i stupidly say yes rang the farmer first thing this morning apoplogised and rearranged for sunday morning. Hes just rang now after i was expecting him to turn up 3 hours ago to sort things out, to start giving me this sob story about how he's fed up an that he cant come now because his work have rang and said he has to work tomorrow morning, bla bla bla more sob story, but it was echoey while he was speaking didnt make anything of it until i heard a load noise an someone shout his name an that they'd got him another pint in, the phone went dead an now its switched off, what an ****, shooting alone tomorrow as cant let the farmer down.

Time to choose your "friends" with a different set of values!!!!!!!

The MUPPET that you regard as a mate is taking you for a MUG!!!!!!!

gets my goat. like most, i have been struggleing to find a perm, however, i have traveled 4 hours by car to do some decoying, and would do it again. yes family and work have there place but it must be a select few that have common decency. i am available almost any evening. weekends and some days at short notice. i also make a mean sarnie and flask of coffee, (both complimentarywith the **** jokes!!)

glenn.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to pigeon shooting and got invited out the other week . It can be nervious meeting some one for the first time and shooting . I was nervous and going dry at the mouth . However after a hour or so the mood relaxed and really enjoyed myself (hooked now and got all the gear on order ) . Cant wait to try and get my on permisson . Have read the advice on here about that, and now have cards made and awaiting deliverey. It is a shame when someone goes out of there way to help you . You should make the effort or just say no and let someone who doe's want the oppurtunity go.