Your greatest ever boxer and why

unapalomablanca

Just been reminiscing about the golden days of middleweight boxing, with all the legends, and in my mind by a country mile the greatest has to be 'marvellous' Marvin Hagler. What a boxer, he had it all, skill, menace, hard as hell, long slog to the top and he was also nice. My dad went to see him at wembley in 1980 when he fought minter, he saw his walk to the ring and knew it was goodnight alan.

What an era, hearns, leonard, duran etc, almost freaky the amount of greatness in one spell.

I also liked the way Hagler never came back, and kept his dough and marbles. I remember when he fought our own tony sibson, sibson took a hell of a beating, and when interviewed straight after the fight he said, "christ, he aint arf hard"

So who is yours and why?

una.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way too many to pick one.Modern times i would go Manny Pacquiao for coming up the weights and also a modest likeable fella.Earlier era always thought a lot of Joe Frazier.

All time favourite would probably be Marco Antonio Barrera.His wars with Eric Morales,especially the first will always be remembered.

I too liked Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard - not sure Leonard gave Hagler a boxing lesson though. Hagler gave up boxing because he didn't agree with the verdict.

I was always a big Alan Minter fan, but got a genuine shock when Hagler fought him. Minter looked unbeatable, but looked totally out of his depth with Hagler, who seemed to have lead in his gloves - very heavy handed.

Sugar Ray Leonard gets my vote, he was simply the best, he beat them all, even gave the great Marvin Hagler a boxing lesson, against all the odds, it was haglers last fight of the great fighters time in boxing

i know leonard beat hagler, i watched it live in '87, Leonard boxed on the retreat for 12 rounds and won a dancing competition. Hagler never complained though, too much class!

All the above mentioned, but I think Nigel Ben for me, that Ben and Eubanks fight in the 90,s was awesome round after round of toe to toe mayhem,but for boxing ability and power it has to be manny pacquiao, for such a small guy his power and skills are second to none,

Atb

Flynny

Ps there are many more great boxing legends I can think of but " the dark destroyer" was awsome

i know leonard beat hagler, i watched it live in '87, Leonard boxed on the retreat for 12 rounds and won a dancing competition. Hagler never complained though, too much class!

You are right in what you say, I watched it myself, it was just tacticts on Leonards part in the fight, there were so many great fighters around at that time, in all the boxing divisions, to me its not the same at this moment in time, everybody wants a Mayweather v Pacquiao fight, but it dont look like its going to happen, would have done 30yrs ago.

Not the greatest but I stopped Barry Mcguigan in Ireland ,well twice to be onest first time he was in his car going through a check point and he signed a card for my wife then GF for her birthday and posted it for me , the second time he was running training where he lived clonaty bridge ( not spelt correct) and I invited him in the the check point ( yes against the army rules before some tells me of) the guys were doing some fitness them selves and he helped them I was not popular lol ,true gent pity he lost his title fight a few months later

I too liked Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard - not sure Leonard gave Hagler a boxing lesson though. Hagler gave up boxing because he didn't agree with the verdict.

I was always a big Alan Minter fan, but got a genuine shock when Hagler fought him. Minter looked unbeatable, but looked totally out of his depth with Hagler, who seemed to have lead in his gloves - very heavy handed.

He didnt give up because of the verdict fella.He wanted a rematch but got fed up waiting for Leonard and retired a year after the fight.

His best tear up for me was against Hearns which was brutal for the time it lasted.

Edited by sako751sg

You are right in what you say, I watched it myself, it was just tacticts on Leonards part in the fight, there were so many great fighters around at that time, in all the boxing divisions, to me its not the same at this moment in time, everybody wants a Mayweather v Pacquiao fight, but it dont look like its going to happen, would have done 30yrs ago.

Having said that though, i can see the other side of the boxing argument, that is, its not just about 'hitting' its about not being 'hit' or hurt, and leonard achieved that in spades that night. He won fairly and squarely. I loved them all, its just that hagler did it for me. :good:

sako - my memory must be failing. I vaguely remember an interview with Hagler when he said something along those lines - many years later. That said, I went back to the good old internet and checked. I stand corrected. :good::good:

Nay probs at all fella.You are right aboot him nay being happy about the result,and is pretty bitter about it still.Great man in a great era and probably will not see an era like it again.I remember the fight well and had Leonard winning it,mostly off the back foot but with some flashy combinations which swayed the judges.Then,as now judges can be abysmal especially the numpty who gave it 118-110 to Leonard.

The Celtic warrior, Steve Collins, He made Eubank look pretty ordinary twice. Could have gone a lot further where it not for injury.

Henry Cooper, modern rules he would have been world champ.

Frank Bruno, often ridiculed but none the less a fine boxer, just didn't quite have the killer instinct.

Nigel Benn, for me, the best.

The Celtic warrior, Steve Collins, He made Eubank look pretty ordinary twice. Could have gone a lot further where it not for injury.

Henry Cooper, modern rules he would have been world champ.

Frank Bruno, often ridiculed but none the less a fine boxer, just didn't quite have the killer instinct.

Nigel Benn, for me, the best.

Hes back in training for a freakshow fight with Roy Jones Jnr.

Edited by sako751sg

I met frank Bruno , Barry Mcguigan and terry marsh ( i met a few pros over my amateur carrer)when I was boxing in the Isle of Man when I was 11,they were all approachable , I've still got an old 5 pound note signed by them all, my dad had a pint with frank Bruno afterwards, my old man said you couldn't see the pint glass in his hand his hands were that big!!!!!!!!!!!

As a young amateur I was in awe of the pros,especially Barry as he was at his peak back then,

Atb

Flynny

Sako you're bang on mate frank didn't have the killer instinct, he caught Tyson with a good punch and had him on the ropes in the 4th or 5 th round and quite possibly could have finished him ,but he just stood there in shock that he had dazed "iron mike"

Edited by flynny

I met frank Bruno , Barry Mcguigan and terry marsh ( i met a few pros over my amateur carrer)when I was boxing in the Isle of Man when I was 11,they were all approachable , I've still got an old 5 pound note signed by them all, my dad had a pint with frank Bruno afterwards, my old man said you couldn't see the pint glass in his hand his hands were that big!!!!!!!!!!!

As a young amateur I was in awe of the pros,especially Barry as he was at his peak back then,

Atb

Flynny

Sako you're bang on mate frank didn't have the killer instinct, he caught Tyson with a good punch and had him on the ropes in the 4th or 5 th round and quite possibly could have finished him ,but he just stood there in shock that he had dazed "iron mike"

i remember watching mcguigan beat eusebio pedroza at loftus road in 1985, tumultous evening.

I just watched the hagler v hearns 3 round 'war' from 1985. Watch it on you tube, bloody marvelous

There's been so many I don't think I could pick a favourite. I used to love watching Tyson on itv before he was a champion though. With his spectacular ko's and the look of fear in his opponents eyes even before the first bell you just knew he was destined for great things.

Hagler was just awesome he forght as a true middleweight all his career . Hearns had to come up a weight to fight Hagler , and this was his downfall. He was used to Knocking out Light middleweights and his punches didn't have the same effect on Hagler.

Leonard was the same as Hearns not a true middleweight so he stayed away and boxed rather that slug it out with Hagler.