neillfrbs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No way.

This will be a campaign led by Red Top newspapers. Credit where it is due, he played well and has enjoyed a good couple of years, but a knighthood?

If Andy Murray gets a knighthood for a couple of high profile wins, we should start a campaign for "forgotten Knighthood opportunities"

Lets start with :-

George Digweed 20 times world Champion
Phil Taylor World darts Champion ? times

If you wanted to appeal to a lot of scottish voters what would you do, especially where they traditionally dont vote conservative and ahead of a referendum on parting from the union.

So would I - no - for so many reasons.

Absolutely not.

They give the things out like smarties now. In any case knighthoods shouln't be awarded for success. Success brings its own rewards - like an income of £15 million a year when you become a Wimbledon champion.

Knighthoods should be awarded for a lifetime of service to others or outstanding contribution to a particular field.

When he's spent 40 years promoting British tennis and helping youngsters into the sport, yes. For achieving the thing he's trained for, and is paid for, no.

I am a Murray supporter and was brought up in the same town as the lad, but I agree with Gimlet 100%.

A knighthood should not be brought about by one event; even if he wins nothing else (which I can't see) the time for a knighthood is when he has retired from playing and spent a few years putting something back into the game.

Multitudes of civil servants get knighthoods just for doing their jobs - why not Murray?s

He's not done it for long enough IMO, a 26 year old knight seems ridiculous. I feel just the same about Sir Chris Hoy.

I think that it is about time we got rid of this stupid old fashion rubbish god this is 2013 not 1600 what sort of country is it that we are expected to address someone as sir just because they was borne with the ability to hit a ball or sing a song well or did the job that we have been paid quite well to do.

The reward that these people get is money in there pockets and that is how it should be and as for camaroon saying that he is just jumping on the wagon in the hope that people will vote him in next time fat chance.

I say Yes give him a knighthood. There will be no more significant British sporting achievement this year, and he won the Olympics and the US Open too so it's not a one off.

Whether you think sportsmen should get knighthoods is a different matter. The precedent is already set there anyway.

I think its more down to the PM or his Mrs being a fan of your sport than anything else, clearly Cameroon is a big tennis fan

And the Queen by the sounds of things, when it was suggested to him I don't think he knew what to say. Its a hard one but be hard to turn it down as lets face it everyone and their dog would be moaning it was a statement about being ******* Scottish.

As for the lifetime bit well look what it has taken to get to the pinacle of the sport he has been at it a fair few years and will be in the prime of his carear with not much longer to go so do you knight him at the top or once he has started loosing

Edited by al4x

As for the lifetime bit well look what it has taken to get to the pinacle of the sport he has been at it a fair few years and will be in the prime of his carear with not much longer to go so do you knight him at the top or once he has started loosing

Honours are generally handed out for "services to".

He has dedicated his life to tennis but still has a plenty of years left at the top of his game to perform, and thereafter will have time to spend in the sport when he is not playing.

His name is in the history books now anyway, whether he is knighted now or in 20 years time, very few people will forget his achievement or who he is - Fred Perry is testament to that.

I think if he were to turn it down it would be seen as a snub and add more fuel to false fire claiming that he is anti-English.

Edited by WGD

I said the same thing last night, no he shouldn't get one, just for playing well in one game. As said, when he has spent a life time devoted to a cause then fair enough.

He hasn't played well in just one game though, has he?

Aside from all the rounds to get to the final, he won the Olympics and the US Open. No British player for the last 77 years has achieved what Murray has achieved.