107 Pigeons shot over Cress….

I only found about this field yesterday when I bumped in to the agrologist on a very large block of mixed crops consisting of barley, lucerne and cress.

He mentioned the birds were on a smallish field hidden out of view, so I took down the best way into it and nipped around to take a look.

There were plenty of birds flitting in and out so I made a plan and went today.

It was over cast when I started, however the sun took its path in front of me all day.

The breeze was a blessing but it was warm to say the least.

A steady line of birds decoyed well, also plenty came in with the sun causing me to use words like dam, blast and fudge…

I picked up 93 + 3 fresh ones I changed on the flapper and rotary, the rest went in the thick stuff behind.

CressPigeons005_zpsfe574691.jpgCressPigeons004_zpsae2e279c.jpgCressPigeons007_zps8d0824fd.jpg

TEH

The plant you are holding in the picture looks looks like linseed. If it is you should have shooting till its combined and on stubble.

It is Pennycress I checked it on the net...used in bi-fuel...!!

A slight smell of aniseed when you are in it!

I think they were in a pickle to get something in the ground for the coverage for the single farm payment system…..

It is not a big cash crop so no gas guns! they have some on the big block but it is mile walk round trip to get at it and no tracks at all!

This farmer has a lot of land and I have not long been let over it, however I have a little quad but I need to take a bit more time as it is lost all to quickly…

TEH

It is Pennycress I checked it on the net...used in bi-fuel...!!

A slight smell of aniseed when you are in it!

I think they were in a pickle to get something in the ground for the coverage for the single farm payment system..

It is not a big cash crop so no gas guns! they have some on the big block but it is mile walk round trip to get at it and no tracks at all!

This farmer has a lot of land and I have not long been let over it, however I have a little quad but I need to take a bit more time as it is lost all to quickly

TEH

Thanks for that, one to put in the memory banks for future reference . I've shot lupin once never seen them again. Thanks for intel. Edited by pigeon controller

I would never have recognised that plant.

I shot Lupins for many years and they provided sport from drilling until after harvesting. The farmer stopped growing them when they were 'reclassified' and he was unable to get subsidised payments for the crop.