D&J cartridges

I've just got myself 250 of these shells, 28g of 7.5 fibre. I didn't want to buy too many in case they are no good, but needed a few cheapies to miss the clays with on sunday before I get my 1000 Eleys next time I'm at my regular shoot. Are they ok for the price? I'm not expecting top cass kit for what they cost!

They are made by Lyalvale and have recently been improved. I patterned the previous cartridges at 30 yards and there were small inconsistencies that werent there with the Hulls. I wasnt impressed with Eley FITASC or VIP standard.

They will do the business though. Personally I now buy Hull extended range fibre 8's for clays and they really are a cracking shell and not heavy on the recoil. I shot some of my lads World cups when I ran out - now they are punchy on the shoulder!

not bad for the money at all. Pattern well i am told, too much recoil for my taste :)

Are you sure?

I have a whole load in number 8 (unused as I have no 12b to play with :lol: ) but they felt like rimfire cartridges to shoot :good:

Maybe its becuase I have been shooting with 36gram and BB too much latley.. but to be honest, I thought they were a lot less recoil then other 28's I tried

I shoot them all the time at clays through my Teknys,and get very good results ,they are cheap,but I am very often top gun in the group I shoot with, and a few weeks ago put up the best score of the week at the shooting ground.

However when I was using an over and under sporter ,the recoil was to much after a few weeks,to the point they got me flinching as I pulled the trigger,and this is the only cartridge I have had this with,

If you can shoot them with out a problem,stick with them ,you can pay a lot more and get no better scores,

if its just practice and for fun, why pay more than you have to?

All the best Mick.

not bad for the money at all. Pattern well i am told, too much recoil for my taste :lol:

Are you sure?

I have a whole load in number 8 (unused as I have no 12b to play with :lol: ) but they felt like rimfire cartridges to shoot :good:

Maybe its becuase I have been shooting with 36gram and BB too much latley.. but to be honest, I thought they were a lot less recoil then other 28's I tried

:)

yes mate, i wont shoot this cartridge for clays because i find the recoil that distracting. Ive suffered from recoil anticipation for a long time, its taken a good 9 months of shooting a gun that fits with nice recoiling carts. to stop it. Not about to start again because of these carts.

There are alot better ones out there for not alot more money.

yes mate, i wont shoot this cartridge for clays because i find the recoil that distracting. Ive suffered from recoil anticipation for a long time, its taken a good 9 months of shooting a gun that fits with nice recoiling carts. to stop it. Not about to start again because of these carts.

There are alot better ones out there for not alot more money.

You are probably right.. I have never shot clays as much as you, so to be honest I dont know a thing about hitting them properly.. I have had a few goes, (and hit a few) but I doubt I would ever get good enough to notice the difference between carts :good:

My targets are usually stationary (other then a few lucky pigeons).

As I said, I'm going to pick up 1000 eleys ( I shoot well with them) in a couple of weeks. I just needed some to get by with until I have them. I'll be fine with the recoil. You can't beat a good pounding when shooting, it's all part of the fun to me :good: and I'm certainly not recoil shy. Thanks for all the answers, at least I know what to expect. I was tempted to buy the more expensive ones, but as I miss more than I hit at the moment I really just want to get a load of shots fired to get used to the shotty. I don't send the lead where it needs to be most of the time, using the best round in the world wouldn't help my scores :) I'm just looking at the standard of the crimp on the end, I don't think I'll be buying many more :lol:

I agree, and its a good idea to find a cartridge that works and you are happy with, because it feels right, gives you more confidence. You arent thinking about the cartridge when you are taking the shots then. :good:

Doesnt matter how good the cartridge is, it wont hit the clays for you..

• 3 weeks later...

Got 250 of these today from the local ground for a bit of xmas practice..

I agree with previous comments on the recoil, they do have a bit of a bump to them.

But they felt as good as the Clever's that I started the day with, if not a bit faster... ?

GB

They are not made by Lyalvale(Express), although they are distributed by them. They are made by Rio and re-badged as D and J. I have shot 2k of the plastic wad 8's - they seem okay. I have used 100 of their felt wads. I will never, ever use another. Quite simply the filthiest cartirdge I have ever used, including Baikal. Took ages to clean my barrels. I would not have them as a gift. That was in a Classic Doubles 101 Trap. My mate had the same problem in his Gamba. Truly dreadful.

i personaly find these cartridges fine (except they dont cycle in my stoeger for some reason) and resonably good value but at the clay shoot on boxing day a bloke had 1 seperate and lodge part way down the barrel which could have been nasty .good job it wasnt far enough down to let the other cartridge chamber.