is this type of stupidity that will cost us all

rspca report - '800 air rifle attacks' in 2012.

http://news.rspca.org.uk/2013/07/18/almost-800-air-riffle-attacks-are-reported-in-2012/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=airgun&utm_campaign=cruelty

i know 800 attacks against the number of people who use air rifles is tiny, but it just adds weight to opposition to air rifles.

I'd give their statistics as much credibility as their spelling

There were 799 incidents reported to is in 2012

The RSPCA & SPCA kill far more healthy animals than a century of airgun misuse ever would - but little old grannies would not be too keen to leave their worldly goods to an organisation that quite frequently breaks the law itself and only gives healthy stray dogs a 14 day reprieve in the re-homing shelter before the lethal injection is administered...

There are some excellent websites out there giving a full run down of the illegal activities of the RSPCA/SPCA

EDIT

Air weapons may only be used by 14-17 year olds in public places if they are supervised

....surely, an OFFENCE to discharge a gun in a public place, or even have a loaded gun in a public place??

Yip = their usual accurate fact based "reporting"

Edited by saddler

i'm not saying an appliad for liceance is the answer,but a liceance you have to buy to own air guns legally might get rid of some of the morons owning them.

i agree, it really troubles me suggesting licensing, but with air rifles, a small number of morons are causing significant fall out for everyone.

a simplified certificate, brought with basic criminal record check. or the option to add them to an existing sgc and lift the ft lb limit.

ok - you both want a licence (liceance)

IF you are so keen, move up here - as you can then be satisfied with the soon to be introduced £50 a year licence

The CURRENT laws ARE enough to restrict airguns & keep them out of the wrong hands, BUT the laws are not enforced

Don't forget, prior to the 1968 Firearms Act, your SHOTGUN CERTIFICATE was issued over the counter at the Post Office. The closest you came then to a delay in administrative processiing was if you went on pension day & there was a queue....can the same be said now?

More beurocracy = more delays = more folk with a finger in the pie = more costs

ANY airgun licence will have next to zero impact on misuse & just add to the lawful shooters burden

ok - you both want a licence (liceance)

IF you are so keen, move up here - as you can then be satisfied with the soon to be introduced £50 a year licence

The CURRENT laws ARE enough to restrict airguns & keep them out of the wrong hands, BUT the laws are not enforced

Don't forget, prior to the 1968 Firearms Act, your SHOTGUN CERTIFICATE was issued over the counter at the Post Office. The closest you came then to a delay in administrative processiing was if you went on pension day & there was a queue....can the same be said now?

More beurocracy = more delays = more folk with a finger in the pie = more costs

ANY airgun licence will have next to zero impact on misuse & just add to the lawful shooters burden

your dead right of course,but the law doesn't get enforced properly,but the powers that be do like chasing folk for money (not for crime) so in the person not paying might mean the law would get enforced.£50 a year is way over the mark,and the reason for this is to prevent people from starting shooting in the first place,that way the government will kill the sead (shooting interest) before its even planted,very wrong..............but very clever.

How about restricting air rifle posession without a licence to those with NO criminal convictions at all (incl cautions), anyone with any convictions required to apply for one, similar to sgc. This should give the police the power to remove air rifles from any morons (with any type of conviction), even if the come accross the air rifle in what would (ordinarily) be a lawful position.

I think just objecting to any licencing withoutan alternative will leave us all at the sharp end of the stick.

A considerably larger amount of people get killed by cars, maybe we should ban those as well not to mention the birds hit by cars or deer cats dogs etc etc. Ban them all, strict licencing so no criminals can use them, conditions on the usage, closed licence ie only allowed out on Sundays with a vicar as a passanger.

Or have a dose of reality and realise that 800 incidents out of millions of air weapons is statisticly nothing.

Edited by GingerCat

How about restricting air rifle posession without a licence to those with NO criminal convictions at all (incl cautions), anyone with any convictions required to apply for one, similar to sgc. This should give the police the power to remove air rifles from any morons (with any type of conviction), even if the come accross the air rifle in what would (ordinarily) be a lawful position.

I think just objecting to any licencing withoutan alternative will leave us all at the sharp end of the stick.

You have to remember. Not every moron has a criminal record. Hardly anyone of these people that are shooting cats with air rifles get caught.

If you don't get caught doing something... You cant have a record. So plenty of these people will be able to obtain one.

I cant think of much else that can be done really. There is an age limit. Face to face purchasing. Not quite sure of any other measures.

I know last time i bought an air rifle. They took all my details like where i live etc. maybe if they don't already they should forward such info to the police. That way, they will have a rough indication of who has what and where. Although it will be hard to keep up to date. Especially as people are entitled to sell their guns to whoever over the age limit

As per usual anything by the RSPCA is full of errors (Lies)

Under their heading of "The Law & Air Rifles" they have this little gem :-

" Air weapons cannot be used within 50 feet of the centre of a highway."

Which is a paraphrase of the law & totally misleading, but then again as the law over this is not clear......

The Highways Act 1980 Section 161 in England and Wales, makes it an offence without lawful authority or excuse to discharge any firearm within 50 feet of the centre of the highway and in consequence of which the user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered. This does not apply to footpaths and bridleways.

But several Police forces websites when quoting airgun/firearm law state :-

It is also an offence to discharge a firearm, including an airgun, within 50 feet of the centre of any highway. This includes roads, bridle-paths or public footpaths. The offence is complete if a member of the public is injured, endangered or even just alarmed by the incident.

Tellingly the above is never preceeded by the act or section that makes this law

Airgun misuse has declined hugely. A 71% decline since around 2006 if I remember correctly, and the figure was still small before then. Existing laws and education campaigns are working fine. Unless airgun misuse increases and becomes a serious problem, I will strongly oppose any licensing scheme.

Police firearms licensing teams are already overstretched and overstretching them even more with air rifle licensing is not a good idea.

just a bit of a sarky here.. but maybe if we cut the police funding even more, add in more paper work and bust the system then crime will go un reported and therefore be 'reduced'........

or just apply the law to the untouchables and everything should sort out from there very easily... ahh we can dream though.

or even better let the armchair woriers take over then we can go back to linch mobs and useless terrorismn..yahhhhhh...ffff we're doomed.

Edited by stoogey

I'd say we should reply to the rspca's accusations but they will be too busy euthanising healthy animals and videoing hunts to respond. They are the most hypocritical so called charity known. Hundreds of thousands of pounds prosecuting heythrop hunt and then they have no room for animals, easy answer stop policing the countryside, leave that to the police, and take up the role you were set up for, the charitable care of neglected animals. That 300000 could've built another centre to house these animals they are so passionate about.

I'd say we should reply to the rspca's accusations but they will be too busy euthanising healthy animals and videoing hunts to respond. They are the most hypocritical so called charity known. Hundreds of thousands of pounds prosecuting heythrop hunt and then they have no room for animals, easy answer stop policing the countryside, leave that to the police, and take up the role you were set up for, the charitable care of neglected animals. That 300000 could've built another centre to house these animals they are so passionate about.

you dont mean actually use the cash where it would be efective do you?

yes a sarky lol.