Stags,Bucks and a Fox.

sako751sg

After seeing the amount of red cutting aboot when we had the stag last week decided to have a run up again last Saturday.Cracking day again and when we arrived there the wind was an issue with nowhere at all we could be sure that it was in our favour.Shaun was with me so we picked a spot and hoped for the best as with the lie of the land it swirls around in all directions.A buck was grazing away doon in front of us but it wasn't till well on that a few red started moving,but unfortunately a big hind came within 50 yards,clocked us and then went her way barking and alerting everything around.Decided to head back to the Jeep as the damage had been done and have a lamp through the night but the only two foxes we saw were doonwind and didn't hang around so had an hoors kip till daylight.

Daylight came but instead of the usual look straight away we sat till nearly 5 and then got kitted up for a walk and we had only gone 100ish when we spotted a group of red to oor left,and heading back up the valley to safety,so we tried to make good ground on them but the closest we got was around 300 and by then they were jumping the fence next door to go back into the woods.Paid the price for having that extra hoor in the motor,but there was the buck from the previous evening feeding at the ditch side so we had a stalk into him.The last 300 we just took a direct line to him with absolutely nay cover,and with just stopping everytime his head went up we closed to just over 100,so set the sticks up and on the shot he dropped straight away.A youngish 6 pointer pretty typical for this quality of ground.

Was working in Inverness and got a text on Tuesday night from the fella saying there were at least 20 red in the barley so told him a was hame Wednesday and would have a look up on Thursday,but decided to head away earlier on Wednesday and try them then.Home for 18.30,so a quick shower whilst Mac loaded the motor and away we went.On the way the fella phoned to say they were oot already but with plenty of scope for stalking in we were nay too fussed as long as the wind was half decent but on arrival it was pure keech again and totally unreadable.We tried 4 different spots and luckily it was only a single hind and calf that had been oot so didn't spook too much and we again picked a point and decided to stick with it.Had only just settled in when 3 hinds,one with twins made an appearance but kept their distance at around 350 away but that was better as we didn't want them stumbling on us in case there were stags around.Sun had just went doon and I thought I got a whiff of red so glassed up the valley and right enough there were at least 21 at over 600 yards away,and when I said to Mac I had smelled them he said he had too.Pretty hard to believe at that distance and probably wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me the story.The route they were taking was the same one the hind had taken the last time so I knew it would be spot on as long as the wind didn't give us away.Glassing where they had came oot the wood showed at least another 30 making there way across and some of these were clearly stags but with light becoming an issue we decided first come,first served if they came in range.Luckily with no longer than 15 minutes shooting time left,a hind,calf and knobber came legging doon to within 100 of us,and close behind was the same again and when they closed to within 50 I squeezed on the first knobber with a nice thud coming back.Kept an eye on him as they legged it but he peeled off and dropped after a wee run so picked oot the other knobber and when they stopped the pill dropped him on the spot.Hopefully this will deter them a bit as the barley has been destroyed although id still like the odd one or two to hang around obviously.Nice doonhill drag so Mac took one and after gralloching I went away for the motor and loaded them both in which was pretty straight forward with their size and then drove to a spot where we could lamp through the night.

Absolutely balmy all night and the gauge was showing 19 degrees at half two in the morning so fine to sit with all the windows doon.The only fox appeared at 0115 and with her not coming any closer than 219m I took the shot from the prone and on the thud she was flattened.Left her there till the morning and when Mac took her back she was a mangly little thing in shocking condition.Skin and bone with some open sores on her legs so did her a favour.

Daylight came in so left Mac to have 40 winks and headed up to where we scoped a buck the evening before and right enough he was still grazing in a park of silage that nearly hid him completely so a pretty straight forward,although sweaty and very uphill stalk of around 600 yards got me just short of 120.Set the sticks up and took my eye off him and when I next looked he had clocked me and was legging it but made the mistake of stopping for a last look,and the pill dropped him again on the spot.A bonny old 6 pointer,and a close to half mile drag back was a pleasure with it all doonhill but the heat was already into the 20s and the t-shirt was soaking by the time the old fella was in the boot.

Nearly 6 by this time so packed everything away and held away along the farm road which is usually good for seeing a buck or two and once again it didn't disappoint.Theres a wee bit with shocking cover that's only about 40 yards long that always holds roe and sure enough there was a mature buck with a keech 4 point heed and with the amount of cover we closed to around 20 yards,and off the sticks I necked him.Turned oot to be an old buck going well back and pretty slight in the body so no rut for him this year.

All in another great few hours spent outside.Also a few pics of a woodpecker on the way hame.

hill001_zpscb0a818e.jpghill002_zps3a130524.jpghill003_zpsee773ddc.jpghill004_zpsd5d92f94.jpghill006_zps00811225.jpghill007_zpsce613649.jpghill011_zpsc1a2b57b.jpgstaggie2001_zpse6de967e.jpgstaggie2002_zpsb7b58a84.jpghill018_zpsf0c0ffb7.jpghill019_zpsaada7e42.jpgstaggie2004_zps644c5f0e.jpgstaggie2006_zpsc25f17da.jpgstaggie2007_zps51db92e6.jpgstaggie2008_zps6fb5c35a.jpgstaggie2012_zps4cc04e8a.jpgstaggie2013_zps1b5cc58b.jpgstaggie2014_zps902e7742.jpgstaggie2015_zps51c97124.jpgstaggie2016_zpse917ca06.jpgstaggie2018_zps18c685d3.jpgstaggie2019_zps6c2e2243.jpgstaggie2020_zps53baf75b.jpg

You lucky ****** , how perfect ... I take my son overnight shooting down south and i think it's great that the kids are equally as keen as the parent ... Good on yer

Ta fella.Great having the wee fella along.

Cracking post...your lad is getting somthing very few people will ever get to do in a life time...good luck to him.

TEH

Cheers Tim.Gets him oot the hoose and he loves it.

Another great write up. Plenty of venison in the freezer now!!! :good:

Cheers Ollie.Freezers always full and the best of scoff for sure.

cracking write up and read and I can safely say I'm jealous

Cheers Alex.Dont mean to make anyone jealous,hopefully just a good read written by a common peasant.

Great read looks like u had an unreal session !!!

Ta fella.Cracking gig for sure and wasn't expecting so much.

well i like that very much, better than doing work.

Glad you did fella,and beats work hands doon.

Another good read and some great pictures.

Thanks for taking the time to post. :)

Ta fella,but cant take the credit for most of the pics.

Well done gaj top darts again! I think you would get on better if you got rid of that big cannon you keep dragging around! Or spent a few more hours in the gym,put a bit extra muscle on help you drag them reds easier up and doon hills.lol

Cheers Alana.Cant get rid of it fella,gives me something to bicep curl on the hill.I would hazard a guess the only things that you curl is a knife and fork ye weegie.

Great write up & pictures again Dave, your lad's certainly growing - he will be taking over from you soon!

Cheers fella.When I saw the pic of him beside the two staggies I couldn't believe how big he is.

Top drawer once again Dave. I think you should be awarded the PW award for post writing :good:

Cheers,but way too kind fella.I nearly quit half way through as I hadn't slept for near two days and the brain wasn't working,but the pics make up for it hopefully.

Excellent write-up and Stunning pics of stunning scenery!Well done again Dave and Mac!!

Cheers Mark.The brother,Shaun,took some of the pics too and caught them spot on.

What a cracking post and set of pictures ,made a great read! Well done

Cheers fella.

all i can say is what every one else has realy, ye thats the place you want to be,top pictures ,top shooting oh ye how do you down load so many pictures, i can only ever do 2 or 3 if ime lucky,cheers simon....

Cheers Simon.I download onto Photobucket and then you paste into the image icon above and you can put on as many as you want fella.Straight forward,and if you have any probs let me know.

Cheers Simon.I download onto Photobucket and then you paste into the image icon above and you can put on as many as you want fella.Straight forward,and if you have any probs let me know.

thanks pal, ive spent 30 plus years pulling the trigger but only months on these god dam lap tops :lol::good: