Making a walnut shotgun stock. A restoration project.

demonwolf444

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i was planning on waiting till the pheasant seaon to give it a proper christening, but i was too nervous that for some reason everything would go horribly wrong, so i rang my shooting buddy and we went up to one of his permissions.

We got to the field we had picked and there was a rabbit sat out, which my friend though would be good to christen it on.

NO WAY.

I wanted the first thing i had shot to be a decent shot on a decent bird, so we switched hedge sides and stalked down the edges of the fields, as we often do when shooting together.

A rabbit bolted and my friend swung through and shot it, but as he did so i saw two wood pigeons lift out of an oak tree through the drizzle towards me, they spotted me about 35 yards off as i closed my gun, and they veered off, but as they did so with no other sign of anthing else moving in the sky and the drizzle turning to downpour i swung round with the lead bird and with plenty of lead dropped it.

Stunned that i had hit a decent fast bird, with the first barrel, on a gun i had never shot, on a side by side when all my shooting has been with over and unders, i was too pleased to even think about taking the other bird which by now was safely out of range.

Safe to say with a good ratio of 1:1 and the rain intensifying we called it a day after only 15 minutes. Didnt get any pictures as it was raining horribly by the time we got to the car, but safe to say i was beaming, i will update you with pictures on its next outing.

I will also update when i have finished lining the case properly!

Wow! Just, wow!

Just read this thread from the start for the first time this morning (new to the forum), and I'm stunned at the level of patience and skill you have to take this on!

You just need to find another nearly identical identical project so you can make it 1 of a pair! ;-)

Great stuff this DIY..... it does give a real sense of achievement :good:

I've got some beautiful English Walnut air dried for over 10 years that came from a garden in Hungerford. I can probably bandsaw out the blanks for anyone who wants it. It's not going to look like the grain on a Purdey but it is very nice...... even better news ,,,,,,it won't be Purdey prices :innocent:

I guess if someone sends me a cardboard template, I'll cut that out and can post. best to PM me or I won't see comments on this thread

Great stuff this DIY..... it does give a real sense of achievement :good:

I've got some beautiful English Walnut air dried for over 10 years that came from a garden in Hungerford. I can probably bandsaw out the blanks for anyone who wants it. It's not going to look like the grain on a Purdey but it is very nice...... even better news ,,,,,,it won't be Purdey prices :innocent:

I guess if someone sends me a cardboard template, I'll cut that out and can post. best to PM me or I won't see comments on this thread

Good offer and one that I may well take you up on in the near future! :good:

Well done. A restoration is something I'd like to try myself sometime. You have given Me inspiration!

The latest midwayusa video on YouTube is quite informative on the final sanding of the stock. Next video will be staining I'm sure.

Edited by aris

Yes this week i will cut and fit the dividing pieces and cut and fit any leather straps and such. The case is very important to me, just thought most people would be more bothered about the gun. I will post when that is finished, and will post of any subsequent outings with it. I can't wait to pick up another project and get started.

Great job old lad...I've really enjoyed reading it, fortunately I've just joined the Forum, so I have been able to read the whole project in one go, and not have to wait for the next exciting instalment............Again Well done...

I see you've discovered John Boddy's Timber yard...wonderful place, or it was last time I was up there...Bloody cold in the wood store in Winter though.