privet hedge

swampy

Paint roundup or any glyphosate into cut or drilled stumps, its fairly slow but long acting but should show signs in 14 days, or it does on green vegetation!

glyphosat wont realy work on woodey material we spray it round shrubs and it dosent arm them

when i got rid of my privet tied rope round bottom and pulled them out with truck

It does if applied to cut stems or into drilled holes, we use it when cutting unwanted species out of our nursery stock. Its listed in the uses on the back of the can, if the stumps are old and have sealed over then take a small cut off to expose new wood, it may take a few goes but will work

hi guys can anyone tell me how to get rid of privet hedge stumps, I've cut the hedge down but cant dig the roots up has my neighbour and I got patio slabs down. is there anything that I can put on the stumps that will kill them

Thanks JEFF

Already said he can't dig them up, its not bonkers if you cant dig them out, and it would work just painted onto the freshly cut stump Edited by kennett

I wouldn't bother with drilling them. Just make a new cut to break the seal they have created and pain on neat roundup. They will die.

You can (or could) get a product called Ammonium Sulphamate which speeds up the rotting process. It's a very strong oxidiser though so whether the terrorist activities of late have knocked that on the head I'm not sure? Once dead that will get them gone more quickly... Edit - ignore the last bit, it seems I have it mixed up with something else. It's still available as compost accelerator, as it's approval as weedkiller has been removed. That doesn't mean it's dangerous or doesn't work, the paper trail is simply too expensive for manufacturers to bother going through it for less popular products.

Edited by njc110381

Like others have said recut the tops and spray fairly strong or neat roundup /glycophospate, on the railways used to add dye so we knew wot stumps we had treated.

If u want them out i weld a 4" brick bolster onto an 1" round bar and take the geinder to blade of bolster, basically u've got 1 massive heavy chisel with a really hard blade. I have cut through tree roots the size of my leg (althou that akes a while and generally a few sweary words) when u have to get a post in a paticular place. Privet roots would cut like butter, and just runs up the edge of his slabs cutting the roots afore u radge them out