moving to US/Canada from UK

Marc Z

I'm not, yet, but has anyone here done so? If so what are your experiences, good bad or ugly?

Similarly is anyone else contemplating it, if so what will it take to make the leap?

I appreciate that the grass isn't always greener, but its going brown quite quickly here.

I am sorely tempted..if someone offered me a comparable job with a comparable salary in British Columbia or Montana or somewhere like that I would be off like a shot.

I would have to eventually take my parents over and make sure it wouldn't be too traumatic for my dogs but as much as I love being British and I am proud to be so, Britain is no longer Great thanks to successive weak lefty governments and the influence of Europe.

I feel the same. Would be looking north, somewhere like Pennsylvania. I find the culture and hospitality really appealing, family values and all that. Plus the sporting opportunities.

Exactly...much more family oriented, awesome hunting and fishing and a much friendly more population than a large chunk of the UK.

Edited by oscarsdad

Is your occupation in demand? Otherwise the USA is pretty difficult to get into.

Just pray you get Obama care, my next door neighbour was bitten by a dog whilst on business near Seattle last month and needed a Tetanus shot, the ER visit and jag set his employer back $950!

If I could go it would be to Canada. Easier to get into.

Some relatives have recently moved to Canada and say I would love it as everyone where they are has a 'truck' and a boat and a shed full of guns!l Have talked about it at numerous times with family but they are reluctant to go.Other half says she can't leave her Mother. I'm probably too old to be considered now anyway but at least I now have relatives over there which means free digs!All I have to find is the air-fare.Sorted.

Mate of mine did it 10 years ago . He moved to Nova Scotia in Canada after meeting a girl online . He loves his new life . Her parents had to sponsor him for 9 months until he was declared a citizen as he wasn't allowed to work . They go out hunting and trekking on quads on a regular basis . Last year they had 35 feet snow drifts and still he managed to go to work . But he has no regrets . He came over this year for his sisters wedding and said he disliked the feeling of England now and couldn't wait to go back there

Who needs pigeons? They have plenty of deer and turkeys that taste a lot better than pigeon!

The English countryside,Cream teas in Devon,Balti's in bham,pigeons in warwickshire,turkey at xmas,great cuppa..England isn't so bad.

I have traveled extensively...still great to get home .

If its what you want..go for it,, :good:

I used to work for a company based in Vancouver; I was based at the UK office but travelled out there frequently. There were a lot of expats working there based in Vancouver. All of them were gagging to come back to the UK but could no longer afford to. They were pretty down about it. Strange.

I still think I could live the BC life though. Cant stand the US though.

I'm 26, currently a theatre technician (arts not medical) so not sure how "needed" I would be out there but I could definitely find work. Was a qualified tree surgeon before this. Think I'd like to get a job in Cabelas :rolleyes:

I love the cold, so Canada does appeal. Plus the thought of sharing your world with elk and the like would be incredible.

The English countryside,Cream teas in Devon,Balti's in bham,pigeons in warwickshire,turkey at xmas,great cuppa..England isn't so bad.

I have traveled extensively...still great to get home .

If its what you want..go for it,, :good:

I'm sure all of this is still available out there... it's a pretty big place. Plus, turkey at Christmas...

I've worked in Arizona and we almost upped and lived in San Diego . I'm in daily contact with friends in California and Texas, things out there are worse than here. It's one thing going on a two or three week holiday it's another living there, medical insurance is horrendous and the hospitals are not that good. We may think the NHS is going downhill fast but compared to my experience of hospitals in Florida California and Arizona I know where I'd rather be treated.

If you think out tax system is complicated wait until you see America and their police are wonderful too, again we don't realise how good ours are.

Friends emigrated to Canada nine years ago, they like it and say they are no better off but their standard of living is better.

I hear Romania and Bulgaria will be nice in the near future.

The main problem with this country is no space and to many people and that can only get worst as time goes by I think I would plum for NZ I love the idea of Canada but it is a bit cold for my licking mind you I do fancy living in France much more space there than we have in the UK.

If you want a bit colder with lots of space you could always try Scotland!

Sweden or New Zealand for me if I ever had a chance...possibly Italy or Southern France for more normal escape options

I'm self-employed so work from home.

In theory I can be anywhere in the world....and in MOST non-UK countries my products are more in demand as they recognise the skills involved more, plus MOST countries also have a higher proportion of folk that hunt/shoot - so again my customer base would be bigger