Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only managed one on the evening flight but was pleased none the less. For once the gun didnt jam up. There was a group of four guns 200 yd over to my right and their goose calling was mightily impressive. They had three different calls and were turning skeins that were a good 800 yds out, they shot more than I would have been comfortable with but each to their own.

post-28393-0-20599900-1378218411_thumb.jpg

Well done! Can't say I've ever called geese that distance unless its a small group :/

Like I say, it was quite bonkers. One group was pretty much landing gear down before they got back up and swung out over the grattens again towards the other guys. The lake was about 800 yds away. Admittedly they were down wind but it wasn't much more than a breeze. Had I not seen it I would never believe it, it was truly astounding.

EDIT - they were groups of about 20 birds

Edited by ack-ack

Nice one Ack Ack :good:

Went this morning, shorts and tee shirt weather, even at silly o/clock this morning.

Great to be back on the marsh. Saw about a dozen Mallard flying about 2 gunshots up, right down the middle of the river, well at least we've seen Duck, good start.
Half hour later a small skein of Canadas lifted from the bottom end of the marsh, headed out to the middle of the river and headed our way.
I gave them a few honks, and they changed direction and came towards us, a skein of about 10 Geese crossed in front of us at about 35yds, my mate went for the lead bird and I swung through on the wing bird
I was well chuffed to see it fold and drop in the river, no bend in the barrels todaylaugh.gif and the dog did well, got it to the bank, and was trying to get it up a 3ft dropthumbsup.gif
F199C165-86A4-4A9B-B217-AC4145C61D4C-177

Well done everyone! Looks like we've mostly got off to a good start. The hound and I managed to whop this one over the stubble on Sunday evening. Killed stone dead at an impressive range, great fast retrieve from the dog too. Not had one on the first before so chuffed to bits :) Won't be going after the duck for a while though, there's no water on any of the local marshes. Roll on Winter!!

post-22236-0-67339800-1378237316_thumb.jpg

Well back from an opening morning flight on the Broads yesterday with a mate and we managed a reasonal bag of mallard and gadwall, made all the sweeter because I had a serious illness a3 months ago and I wondered if I was going to get back on the marsh again. My shooting was not at its best ( my illness has effected eye-brain - hand reflexes so having to learn to shoot all over again) , but it was a joy to be out and all the better to get a few birds in the bag. The dog made the day with one realy difficult retrieve having to swim a wide dranage dyke, run through a belt of reeds , cross a river bank covered in long vegetation and find the mallard in a thick reed bed and deliver the bird to hand within a minuet.

On another tack on steel shot sizes for geese. Boyed is a very experianced wildfowler and its worth listening to what he says about shooting geese. However his level of shooting skill enables him to hit geese in the head time after time , certantly more consistantly than i can. While I have brought down the odd one at 50 yards with no 3 most of my geese have been a lot closer than that and if I am going for geese I use larger pellets than no 3 , but provided you do not push the range no 3 will do the job.

However its always worth bearing in mind that te post was aimed at a berginer at wildfowling and for those more experianced tend to all have out favoured shot size and cartridge which will tend to differ and in reality all of us will bring our goose down on the day.

Robert Good hear and read your back out Fowling and long may it for years to. Also thanks for the kind words and helping ( hopefully) to get what I was trying to say in the right Manor Have a good season Robert. Oh what do you think 4 more days " wink wink " well it was last season :)

Well done everyone! Looks like we've mostly got off to a good start. The hound and I managed to whop this one over the stubble on Sunday evening. Killed stone dead at an impressive range, great fast retrieve from the dog too. Not had one on the first before so chuffed to bits :) Won't be going after the duck for a while though, there's no water on any of the local marshes. Roll on Winter!!

compressed.jpg

Good old Moss, she's a fine lab Mark, obi wan has taught her well!

I have heard that the weather was bad in Iceland last week with blizzards so I doubt it will be long before the first pinks arrive Boyd. Mind you I did see one with the greylags 2 weeks ago at Stiffkey though It could have been a feral bird or lightly injured from last season.

I saw a Pinkfoot on a gravel pit in the Lea valley (Essex/Herts border) last summer, god knows where that came from. Sitting on the water at about 50 yards.

I have heard that the weather was bad in Iceland last week with blizzards so I doubt it will be long before the first pinks arrive Boyd. Mind you I did see one with the greylags 2 weeks ago at Stiffkey though It could have been a feral bird or lightly injured from last season.

Nice to read about a few successful reports, only managed one trip so far this season, but the tides are perfect for the next 3 mornings, so fingers crossed for the first goose of the 2013 season.

Good to see your still nutting them Boyd :shoot:

Cheers Terry and good luck. Don't forget mate " blank the body get through them think your shooting a Snipe result ??? " Nut Em " Enjoy your season

A few Teal about last night, fluffed my 1st chance of the year! was to busy watching a flapper amongst the decoys and didn't see 2 Mallard curling in from my right, knee was firmly stuck in the mud and just couldn't get round far enough to get on them. That's my excuse anyway :lol:

Nice to see a lot of Mallard about though.