6 or 7 million duck and all i wanted was a pigeon!!!

barrold

That was my first thought as well, it does seem that they are circling rather than flighting in/out of stubbles. But a decent number of duck none the less.

Well ask yourself this was there much wind... No ..

Was someone pigeon shooting on the field were they wanted to feed ...yes ..

Was there a man stood with a phone in his hand filming them ... yes ....

If mallard see something strange they will wing around and around... even more if there's no wind ..

Even more they had a man in a hide blowing a boogle at them lol ...sorry barrold I could not help myself ..

People need to read the situation more ..

Edited to say I might be wrong also ..

Edited by washwildfowler

You might want to try putting the air into the call having brought it up from your diaphram rather than blowing by puffing out your cheeks.

If you need to find out how to produce air from your diaphram, simply cough!

There is a lot of calling tuition stuff on Youtube which is well worth a look.

Well ask yourself this was there much wind... No ..

Was someone pigeon shooting on the field were they wanted to feed ...yes ..

Was there a man stood with a phone in his hand filming them ... yes ....

If mallard see something strange they will wing around and around... even more if there's no wind ..

Even more they had a man in a hide blowing a boogle at them lol ...sorry barrold I could not help myself ..

People need to read the situation more ..

Edited to say I might be wrong also ..

Steady on chap, just putting another scenario forward. Just my 1st thought thats all!

Really don't know what you boys are on about with my amazing calling. Those ducks usually reside in dumfries but when they heard me they all flocked at once haha

Cheers for the advice mudpattern, i'll try that. I definatley need some help with it like but i'll get there in the end

Also just incase anyone thinks i'm thick, i know ducks don't come herds

Well herd is better than what a few of my mates call them. I have often them call "watch out there a hell of a lump of duck comming ".

I take it you will be doing the first flight of the season on that stubble field, Good luck.

Edited by anser2

Henry b what has made you come to that conclusion , I can take you to a stubble field where the mallard and geese are flighting onto it in the same way

And are 100% wild .....

A Nice bit of footage barrold , just one question were do you think we should put the hides when we shoot it on the 1st lol

Because I have seen duck do it on shoots on many occasions, and as for seeing something strange, most wild Mallard I have seen will be in the next county rather than take a second look.

That reminded of the rubbish mallard calling coming from Gedney on Sept 1st last season. I was on the other side of the Nene and it was really getting on my nerves - especially because they were constantly calling with no ducks in the air!

Thats why i done it on my farm back home so as not too annoy anyone. Obviously i'll be leaving them at home until i get better.

My neighbours tend to get a tad cranky if i practise in my living room

I practice in the garden, if the neighbours can hear it over all the cars they keep revving then they'll have to put up with it :lol:

Herd = Curlew

That doesn`t seem like flighting, more like someone is teaching released duck to lift so they can be shot by guns on stands, is there a shoot nearby?

I have got to agree. It does look alot like a keeper gee-ing up the released mallard on his ponds before an early September driven ducks shoot.

If they are all wild, I will have to consider moving house!

That reminded of the rubbish mallard calling coming from Gedney on Sept 1st last season. I was on the other side of the Nene and it was really getting on my nerves - especially because they were constantly calling with no ducks in the air!

Perhaps those on Lynn and Gedney think the same about you Attempting to call Flighting Geese on Fenland !!!!!!

I have got to agree. It does look alot like a keeper gee-ing up the released mallard on his ponds before an early September driven ducks shoot.

If they are all wild, I will have to consider moving house!

Really..? I dont get why anyone thinks they are not Wild duck.If you live in arable country near the coast' like I do' you have bound to have seen pre/early season mallard behaving like that.

ive seen them literally hundreds of times before the shooting season starts and even well into September coming into stubble fields at dawn and dusk just like that.

A few mornings " well the middle of the night" really" as i make it a rule to be there in plenty of time before flight' stands out while setting up Geese decoys ' when the mallard where hovering around us in packs of up to a dozen not 20 yards high. could have had a bags full.But we dont normally shoot ducks when waiting for geese to flight.

It is of course possible' the ducks in the video are reared' but if they are not.. then for me it is in no way surprising in the least.

Really..? I dont get why anyone thinks they are not Wild duck.If you live in arable country near the coast' like I do' you have bound to have seen pre/early season mallard behaving like that.

ive seen them literally hundreds of times before the shooting season starts and even well into September coming into stubble fields at dawn and dusk just like that.

A few mornings " well the middle of the night" really" as i make it a rule to be there in plenty of time before flight' stands out while setting up Geese decoys ' when the mallard where hovering around us in packs of up to a dozen not 20 yards high. could have had a bags full.But we dont normally shoot ducks when waiting for geese to flight.

It is of course possible' the ducks in the video are reared' but if they are not.. then for me it is in no way surprising in the least.

Fair enough. I don't live near the coast so I take what you say on the chin.

I have been on 1 driven duck shoot in late August, and near another and seen the ducks flagged off the ponds twice daily to build fitness and flying ability.

Fair enough. I don't live near the coast so I take what you say on the chin.

I have been on 1 driven duck shoot in late August, and near another and seen the ducks flagged off the ponds twice daily to build fitness and flying ability.

It was not aimed at the Chin Big Al, merely Highlighting the fact that it does not seem in anyway unusual for early season Mallard to behave like that.

Look at it this way' from what I have read in this thread barrold took that video sitting in a pigeon hide early in the morning' and was expecting to shoot pigeons but from what he wrote he hadnt fired any shots and if he was in a pigeon hide with the intentions of being invisible to the pigeons then surley the Duck did not see him either' hence there circling of the hide unaware of his presence .

As already mentioned' there is every Chance what you are saying could be correct.

It was not aimed at the Chin Big Al, merely Highlighting the fact that it does not seem in anyway unusual for early season Mallard to behave like that.

Look at it this way' from what I have read in this thread barrold took that video sitting in a pigeon hide early in the morning' and was expecting to shoot pigeons but from what he wrote he hadnt fired any shots and if he was in a pigeon hide with the intentions of being invisible to the pigeons then surley the Duck did not see him either' hence there circling of the hide unaware of his presence .

As already mentioned' there is every Chance what you are saying could be correct.

No problem. I just wish they were flying over my hide! All the best for the season.