More spent 12g tom foolery.

Lord Geordie

I decided to clown with mould making and decided to make some of these!

Pic one does not show the detail, but it was a very good mould! As you will see in pic 2!

2013-09-03_22_50_32.jpg

2013-09-03_22_50_49.jpg

Now of course I had to light it to prove it's a real candle :lol: :lol:

2013-09-03_22_54_46.jpg

Not sure what the burn time will be, but the brass base will act as a good heat shield. I am rather pleased with the end result.

I am now on the hunt for a little something to make a rather unusual candle holder to go with these :D

Edited by Lord Geordie

I saw some made by pouring wax into spent carts, then trimming the plastic back. They looked **** :no:

I decided to try my hand at mould making, and was very pleased with the results.....

Much better definition and detail. Now I need to make the candle sticks :lol:

Edited by Lord Geordie

Ooooh I like. Did you use plaster or clay for the mould?!?

Neither! I used Silicone to create the mould. I am just toying at the mo, as I am wanting to try my hand at a 2 part mould to recreate a keyring. The silicone is easy to work with. Setting up the mould "start to pouring in the silicone" took 20 mins. Then left overnight to cure.

I am happy with both moulds!

Thats a great idea - If you go on ebay you can get some nice shotgun stocks that are being scrapped for about 20 quid, make the stock the base then attach some steel rods or wire bent out from the stock. That is a really cool idea i really like what you have done!

That was the idea, but with brass rods to match the cart bases. I.was going to make the bases the candle holders! Then insert the wax cart into the base and hey presto!

thats a fantastic idea and looks great , can you make me a couple please ? .

Most likely yes! I need to source cheap wax and colourant first as I dont have a lot.

The idea was to make them in various colours and try and make stencil's like Eley, Gamebore etc and some non flammable spray paint to make them look more realistic!

Most likely yes! I need to source cheap wax and colourant first as I dont have a lot.

The idea was to make them in various colours and try and make stencil's like Eley, Gamebore etc and some non flammable spray paint to make them look more realistic!

There's a bloke in Haydon Bridge near Hexham that makes candles for charity and he gets lots of colours/dyes and also gets lots of recycled wax, if you want, I could try and call him and see if he can help you out.

that sounds even better , give me a shout when youve made some and ill be your first customer :good:

Going to make a new mould for these. The singular moulds, are taking an age to use. The plan is to create a 25 unit mould, and do the whole 25 in one go.

Then I need to plan the addition of wicks. At present I have used 3 methods. A narrow blade screwdriver, smashed the side wall from the column. A drill. Pain in the ***. And lastly a hot rod. First time it was too hot and melted the detail from the top. I think the heated rod is quickest and most effective. I don't want to go mucking about with setting up the moulds with the wicks before pouring! It means a lot of faffing, threading wicks, and support.

The new mould should see a quicker process. Perhaps 100 candles per day if I get the spare time.

Can you put a hole into the end of the silicone mould which is slightly smaller in bore to the wick and then then fill the mould with the wick already in place? I don't know anything about this subject but it's just a thought. good luck

Edited by r1steele