.243 90gr Prvi on foxes?

Just a quick one. I'm looking at buying 100 Prvi 90gr SP to run in the new rifle and collect the brass for reloading. Before I do though what's it like on foxes? I assume they open up well enough to do the job?

If they're not so good I'll buy a couple of boxes of Norma because the brass is the best of the factory offerings and they are all a similar price. I like Prvi brass though so if I can use 100 rounds and reload it that seems like the most sensible option.

I am of course assuming that it will run minute of fox out of my rifle. As most of my shots are around 100 yards I'm hoping it won't be bad enough to be useless even if it doesn't group as well as I expect from my home loads.

I can confirm they are spot for foxes. PRVI ammo is excellent value.

I pay £12.00 a box( I think :hmm:) some where round that.

I reload them as well but I full lengh size them, as when I just neck sized I found the tension varied, works for me.

Alan.

Give Frenchiboy a shout, before going down the reloading route he swore by them.

I used to use nothing but PRVI 90g in .243 and had no problem with them. They were accurate, hard hitting and cheap. The inly reason I no longer use them is because I load my own nowadays or I would almost certainly be using them still.

However, because my rifle loved them it does not necessarily mean that your rifle will like them - Nor does it mean that your rifle should not get on well with them - The only way to find out is to try them.

For the price (Under half the price of some factory .243 ammo) in my opinion there is a lot to be said for them!

Just a quick one. I'm looking at buying 100 Prvi 90gr SP to run in the new rifle and collect the brass for reloading. Before I do though what's it like on foxes? I assume they open up well enough to do the job?

If they're not so good I'll buy a couple of boxes of Norma because the brass is the best of the factory offerings and they are all a similar price. I like Prvi brass though so if I can use 100 rounds and reload it that seems like the most sensible option.

I am of course assuming that it will run minute of fox out of my rifle. As most of my shots are around 100 yards I'm hoping it won't be bad enough to be useless even if it doesn't group as well as I expect from my home loads.

Well don't expect stella performace, I don't see the point load for it from the off with decent brass or use Norma factory and harvest it. the Fedral factory loaded ammo with the 70 grn nosler b/tip is great on fox and will go 1/4 moa out of mine at 200yds (did a thread on it a few years back) totally changed my mind on factory. fedral isn't shabby brass either

My thinking is that there's nothing to say the more expensive ammo will shoot any better than the Prvi from my rifle. It's all a bit of a gamble buying factory so I just want it for the brass, which I have to say I have found to be more than acceptable. Federal 70gr is the best part of £40 per box at my local dealer - £13 more than both the offerings from Norma and £28 more than Prvi! I'm not willing to spend that sort of money on something that may not work.

When I started out I used to use Lapua brass, which was very good. But then I found that someone with my level of skill could get just the same performance from Prvi. Lapua and Norma may be better when dragging every last fraction of MOA from a load, but I am just not capable of exploiting that advantage so it's a waste of money really.

If it shoots that badly I can off load it on someone else who does like it. If it does shoot it will save me home loading for a few weeks. I haven't got dies or the time to home load so was kind of hoping to get something I can get a rough zero with and shoot a few things close up until I'm sorted.

You don't need 1/4 MOA to stop a fox with a 90g SP .243.

I use PRVI, .223 55g SP, .243 90g SP and .308 150g SP.

They all work just fine in all my rifles for field work, if I was looking for pinpoint accuracy I wouldn't use the rifles I've got or factory ammo!

You miss the point. The stated accuracy is a mind opener as far as factory ammo goes (you obviously still hold that old prejudice from your last statement) you are however using a better bullet more suited to the task at hand than a 90grn bullet developed for larger quarry and HARVESTING MORE WORTHWHILE BRASS.

You miss the point. The stated accuracy is a mind opener as far as factory ammo goes (you obviously still hold that old prejudice from your last statement) you are however using a better bullet more suited to the task at hand than a 90grn bullet developed for larger quarry and HARVESTING MORE WORTHWHILE BRASS.

You seem to miss the point.

I don't hold any prejudice, I get out and use the stuff and judge the results, we are not talking the Olympics here, we are talking a 90g SP .243 on a fox, not many walk away from that wherever you hit them!

Results and experience, not possibilities, spreadsheets and reference books, and I rarely find the need to use a .243 on fox anyway, but the OP asked a question,

......"I'm looking at buying 100 Prvi 90gr SP to run in the new rifle and collect the brass for reloading. Before I do though what's it like on foxes?..........I like Prvi brass though so if I can use 100 rounds and reload it that seems like the most sensible option......I am of course assuming that it will run minute of fox out of my rifle. As most of my shots are around 100 yards....."

The question was answered, they work just fine! :yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

I'll vouch that 90grn prvi works just fine for foxes and 100grn does too. As softpoints go, they are fragile and expand quite early. They won't turn Charlie into a grenade like the ultra light ballistic tips do, but if you put them through the boiler room, they'll be just as dead.

One point I have noticed though is that the prvi ammo is not loaded terribly consistently. Even to the naked eye, it's clear that bullet seating depth varies quite considerably, so what was adequately accurate for zeroing at 100yds might not translate into a reliable 300yd fox round. As always, try it at the range you intend to shoot but I can assure you that it is adequately destructive on foxes out to my self-imposed 250yd(ish) limit.

...Before I do though what's it like on foxes? I assume they open up well enough to do the job?

I would think so, I have shot a few fox with 140gn SP homeloads in my 6.5x55 and they dropped them where they stood, two were cubs and there was good exit wounding on one so I presume they would do the trick. I only used the 6.5 as there was a chance of a Stag/roe and fox must be shot first and foremost.

I changed my mind on buying the Prvi when I got to the shop. It came up in conversation that I was looking to build some brass up to home load so was thinking of buying Prvi, and they happened to have a tub of once fired .243 Prvi brass that they have all collected. I had a load of that for next to nothing so have skipped that first stage!

I'm going to start home loading from the off with the 70gr Noslers. I may try to get a few done and tested tomorrow if I get the time.

I don't always shoot sub 100 yards when foxing but if I know that's the limits of my ammo I could have stuck with that rule until I had made something better. I've almost always got my mate with me with his .222 and we take it in turns to shoot - anything I wasn't confident with could have been dealt with.

I just finished work so will chuck a few different loads together to see what it likes. I don't think I'm going to load it hot unless accuracy calls for it - I'm hoping somewhere just above start will work. It will easily out perform the .223 even with start loads, so that'll do. If I can get point and shoot out to 250 yards that should cover 99% of our shots.

Shame I couldn't get it running soon enough to try some neck shots on those fallow yesterday. Hey ho, there's always later in the week if I can get on with it!

The next question is do I run it in? I just picked up the A-Bolt and shot the **** out of it from the off - it will one hole at 100 yards so I'm not sure what there is to gain from all this mucking about?

I'm going to make fifteen start loads to dirty the barrel and then batches of fives with different powder loads to see what groups the best. I'm thinking 15 shots should settle the barrel to a degree - at least enough to get a usable load.

How many before I should properly try to develop something good and it won't change? Depends on the barrel I guess.

I just finished work so will chuck a few different loads together to see what it likes. I don't think I'm going to load it hot unless accuracy calls for it - I'm hoping somewhere just above start will work. It will easily out perform the .223 even with start loads, so that'll do. If I can get point and shoot out to 250 yards that should cover 99% of our shots.

Shame I couldn't get it running soon enough to try some neck shots on those fallow yesterday. Hey ho, there's always later in the week if I can get on with it!

The next question is do I run it in? I just picked up the A-Bolt and shot the **** out of it from the off - it will one hole at 100 yards so I'm not sure what there is to gain from all this mucking about?

Barrel life extended and ease of cleaning through its life. Accuracy wise no barrel or custom action etc. can improve beyond that of firers ability. Not saying you cannot shoot as I have no direct knowledge of that, its just a weakest link thing " likewise rubbish ammo" , "bad sights" etc.

I do believe good run in is important, some think otherwise. The important thing is there is no argument about it being detrimental.

I'm going to make fifteen start loads to dirty the barrel and then batches of fives with different powder loads to see what groups the best. I'm thinking 15 shots should settle the barrel to a degree - at least enough to get a usable load.

How many before I should properly try to develop something good and it won't change? Depends on the barrel I guess.

Many think (I include myself in that) that two accuracy nodes exists one at lower pressure and one at higher pressure. If you are sticking to low pressure for extended barrel life you could be on a fools errand as powders burn at different temperatures. Powder selection is more the factor you should look at. Shooting a longer 6mm bullet can create tumble on impact if the impact speed is too low, this happens when the heavier rear overtakes the lighter front as the front meets resistance - It has devastating results on carcass

Barrel life extended and ease of cleaning through its life. Accuracy wise no barrel or custom action etc. can improve beyond that of firers ability. Not saying you cannot shoot as I have no direct knowledge of that, its just a weakest link thing " likewise rubbish ammo" , "bad sights" etc.

I do believe good run in is important, some think otherwise. The important thing is there is no argument about it being detrimental.

We take different views on many things and accuracy requirement is down to the job/calibre, on the whole in field work there is no need for the refined/developed/intimate accuracy of top target work. PRVI in my .223, .243 and .308 delivers 1". One hole groups aren't going to make any difference on any quarry I use it on!

But I'm not arguing with anything above. :good: