What size shot for duck?

I hate steel shot. We used on the shoot i belong to, about five or six years ago, we had so many wounded ducks it was not funny! We had to spend many a sunday wandering around shooting flappers.

The next year we did a deal as a syndicate and bought Hevi-shot with all our game cartridges, so getting a much better price. Job sorted! They work really well.

Ft

I hate steel shot. We used on the shoot i belong to, about five or six years ago, we had so many wounded ducks it was not funny! We had to spend many a sunday wandering around shooting flappers.

The next year we did a deal as a syndicate and bought Hevi-shot with all our game cartridges, so getting a much better price. Job sorted! They work really well.

Ft

Nowt wrong with steel.

Guest cookoff013

3".....2s&3s.....for DUCK! Can't be right!

Seen plenty drop to 5s in steel and no flappers. Thats what I would choose in a 2&3/4" case too.

U.

underdog,

2s and 3s for duck are quite common. the 3" shells were made to accomidate the large volume of low density shot (and also yanky turkey loads). the 3.5" shell was graeated to suite extremely large shot and lots of it.

the 2s and 3s are an un compromising shell that will seal the deal beyond reasonable doubt. that doubt being the extremely low performance of previous shells and years of extremely slow steel.

the 2.75" shell can just about accomidate a bit of powder and 32g of small steel shot. the 3" can do the same with big and small shot.

if you are shooting ducks over the decoys, a #5 steel can just about do the job.

did you know that in 2011 #4 steel can be used to shoot clays ! why would you want to use clay loads on duck?

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

and your #5s are even smaller. the only thing theyd be suitable for are small duck. and steel clay loads are slow.

#2s and #3s even at 1300fps are better than your clay loads.

underdog,

2s and 3s for duck are quite common. the 3" shells were made to accomidate the large volume of low density shot (and also yanky turkey loads). the 3.5" shell was graeated to suite extremely large shot and lots of it.

the 2s and 3s are an un compromising shell that will seal the deal beyond reasonable doubt. that doubt being the extremely low performance of previous shells and years of extremely slow steel.

the 2.75" shell can just about accomidate a bit of powder and 32g of small steel shot. the 3" can do the same with big and small shot.

if you are shooting ducks over the decoys, a #5 steel can just about do the job.

did you know that in 2011 #4 steel can be used to shoot clays ! why would you want to use clay loads on duck?

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/CPSA_Booklet_5.pdf

and your #5s are even smaller. the only thing theyd be suitable for are small duck. and steel clay loads are slow.

#2s and #3s even at 1300fps are better than your clay loads.

Cheers, I will have to remember this. The only 3" gun I have now is my 870 20g!

U :good: