Cracking week of sport.

aister

A friend and myself have just enjoyed a cracking week of sport down in Kent, a mix of fallow stalking, fox shooting, pigeon shooting and trout fishing.

I had real trouble fox shooting, I missed a few but did end up with one. I have never shot with a red filter before which was different and I always got the impression that they were a lot further away than they actually were thus resulting in me missing over the top............I know I know excuses excuses but I have never seen a fox before let alone shot at one, they are smaller than I was thinking. The one I got was with the 6.5x55 on our way back to the car after deer stalking.

post-29954-0-17971000-1380486569_thumb.jpg

I have been stalking before but not for fallow, it was great. The first stalk we were on a fairly long slow stalk in the rain where we fell in with two prickett's, I bagged the bigger of the two with a neck shot which dropped instantly, the nosler partition doing the trick from the 6.5. The other prickett was unsure of where the shot came from and hung around long enough for my mate to drop it, big smiles all round, his first deer and my first fallow. We set up everything for a photo and guess what, I forgot the camera. My mate got a couple of snaps on his phone though.

The next stalk a couple of days later was brilliant, walk a little, look a lot was the order of the day, thick woodland and noisy under foot. The first deer we saw was a doe with a fawn which spotted us. We stood still for 20-25 minutes with her watching us, barking and prancing around before she finally decided we were not a threat and carried on. It seemed like forever but was great to watch as she was only 50 yards away. As we started off again we spotted 3 fallow bucks 100 yards away heading in the same direction as she went. As the grass was low enough I went into the prone position for the shot, I was told to take any one of the three when I was ready. I got lined up and gave a whistle to which they stopped perfectly, I took aim and fired. I saw the three deer depart at speed but I was sure of the shot and heard the thump of the bullet connecting. We waited 30 minutes before we went for a look. The buck had gone 40 yards dead on his feet, I was absolutely delighted. IMO it was a text book stalk. Not a huge buck by any means but a nice symmetrical head and a beautifully marked hide. The 140gr nosler partition had performed well IMO, small entry hole, the heart was almost in half and the exit hole was a bit bigger than the entry with very little meat damage.

post-29954-0-27432300-1380488821_thumb.jpg

post-29954-0-41907600-1380488835_thumb.jpg

We had a couple of outings on the pigeon, another first for me as there is no woody's here in Shetland. One thing I noticed is they are very easy to miss ha ha. No huge bags but we bagged 36 the first morning and just 12 the next. It is a cracking sport and certainly one I wish we had up here, not sure the farmers would agree though lol. Here is a pic from our first morning.

post-29954-0-74826100-1380489194_thumb.jpg

We also had a morning out fishing for rainbows. It was a lovely warm day and I thoroughly enjoyed a nice relaxing day with the rod and it was also another first for me as we don't have rainbows up here. I tried a few different flies without success until I noticed trout rising under an overhanging tree, I put on a daddy long legs and after a few failed attempts and some laughter from my mates I managed to land the fly close in under the tree and bang a nice trout nailed it, my first rainbow. Shortly after that I landed another one using the same tactics. Time to go, I reached for the camera and yes you guessed it I forgot the camera.

I really enjoyed our week down in Kent, hopefully it wont be long before we are heading down again although one thing I wont look forward to is the 14 hour ferry followed by the 10 hour drive, the things you do for some sport.