first gun - Beretta s56e....any thoughts?

Rcdavison1984

Good Morning my fellow PW members

I got my SGC through last week and still waiting to take the plunge and buy my first SG.

I’ve set myself a budget of £500 for my first buy as I need everything else that comes with it (slip, cleaning kit, carts etc)

I’ve come across this in my local shop and was wondering if its a decent gun?

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Beretta-S56-E-gun-for-sale-gs150798.aspx

I know they are an older model now being made in the 70s but hoping it will be of a better quality being a Beretta, rather than buying a newer gun of a less reputable name for similar price?

Mainly for the odd clay shoot once or twice a month, and the odd invited shoot (if I’m lucky enough) but wont be getting used a large amount as im planning on buying a semi auto in the near future for rough shooting on my pending permissions (steel proof and 3-3.5" chamber)

So basically for the price of the s56e...would you lot recommend it?

Thanks in advance

Rcdavison1984

Can't say I'm familiar with the model and with it having a straight hand stock I'm assuming its a game gun,and possibly therefore fixed choke.Even if quite tightly choked I don't consider this a problem at all but some may suggest a multi choke would offer you wider choices for use as a clay gun,which is good advice.If It's choked 1/4 and 1/2 then I would say buy it,if it's choked tighter then I would still say buy it;there is always the option to have the chokes opened up if you wanted to.

It's a Beretta,and all the better for being an older model in my opinion.

That lanber is a good price with a few extras!

I believe that these early Berettas had rather different internals from later models, including different springs (V springs?). These are likely to make repairs/maintenance more difficult/expensive. I'm a Browning owner through and through, but, if I were buying a Beretta, I would buy a later model, single trigger, more or less the same as the current ones, but perhaps 10 or 20 years old when the quality was better I suspect.

Edited by Cumbrian