how long has it been a offence to walk to your permission

rws-89

Neil, despite all the debate about what's right and wrong in this thread, I'd just ask your own FEO about it. Perhaps even get him to email you that you have permission. Then you can print it off, and keep it with your SGC just in case.

Edited by simonix

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm interested in this, my permission is only half a mile from my house and if I am just popping over to have a walk around, I feel rather lazy taking the car. I have in the past just put the shotgun in its slip and walked, gun unloaded but carring wearing a cartridge belt. I was under the impression that i was doing nothing wrong, but not sure now. I do live in a rather remote area and the chance of me meeting anyone let alone a ploice offer is very slim.

You are doing nothing wrong.

Remember not everyone drives, many use the train, bus, bicycle and some walk to get to their shoot, some even arrive by helicopter !.

For anyone to suggest that doing so is illegal is plaid daft.

my 19 year old lad set off at 6.30 pm tonight to shoot some rabbits on some land where we both have written permission he got to corner of street were he was stopped by 2 plods in a car who took his shotgun out of bag in the street and told him they were taking it ,he would get it back tomorrow in he had a licence ,then two more plods turned up with a blackberry phone and checked him out to find out he got fac and shotgun cert ,they sent him home & have told him he has to be driven to the land in future as you cant walk the streets with a shotgun in a bag .has the law changed and i have missed it.

As everyone else has said, there is no offence here. The gun, strictly speaking, doesn't even need to be covered. If you do not have a valid certificate with you then they can sieze the gun but even there there is little pointin doing that if they can ascertain that you are a cert holder.

J.

It would appear that an offence has not been committed but it would have been prudent to avoid the situation. The son of a friend of mine was in a similar situation a couple of years ago when he collected his repaired shotgun from the repairer in the middle of town. He was stopped by the police as he was waiting at the bus stop on his journey home. Nothing wrong in what he did but if his dad had taken him in the car there wouldn't have been a problem. He was in the local nick for a few hours, not a pleasant situation but an avoidable one.

Sorry, this is a slave mentality you have here. He had done nothing wrong. Carrying a shotgun from a repairers is perfectly lawful. If someone does not drive or cannot afford it are you suggesting that they should not shoot?

J.

I read it. Stopped - not arrested. Read the replies you're quoting. It's really annoying when someone argues for the sake of it.

He was told that he should not/could not walk to where he was shooting. That is wrong. He can and would commit no firearms ofence even if it was not in a slip.

J.

There was a complaint and BASC were involved but the outcome was not satisfactory, my point is why take a chance ( although perfectly legal) to be seen in public with a gun when it can be avoided

Because you should not have to.

J.

i'm interested in this, my permission is only half a mile from my house and if I am just popping over to have a walk around, I feel rather lazy taking the car. I have in the past just put the shotgun in its slip and walked, gun unloaded but carring wearing a cartridge belt. I was under the impression that i was doing nothing wrong, but not sure now. I do live in a rather remote area and the chance of me meeting anyone let alone a ploice offer is very slim.

Not illegal in any way what so ever.

J.

The law is the law, and it is possible some here know the law better than many members of the public or even police.

The fact is we live in the real world, even as an experienced shooter, what would your reaction be if you happened to be walking through your town centre and saw someone carrying an exposed shotgun, I suspect it may make you a little nervous.

Using your common would appear to be the answer, and I do not see that as in any way pandering to the masses/ignorant, it just seems to make sense.

This debate is apparently nothing to do with an exposed shotgun anyway.

It depends which world you wish to inhabit.The fantasy world where everyone plays to the book, or the real world where If I were to walk through my village with a gun in a slip I wouldn't be out long before being apprehended by the police as was some poor unfortunate a few weeks ago. Nothing wrong or unlawful in what he was doing but several phone calls from Joe Public brought them out in force. The police handled the matter well, knowing he was in the right but suggested he didn't repeat the action as they would be inundated with calls of a ' man with a gun ' and would have to investigate.

I feel for the OP as his son is entitled by law to carry his gun as he did but this is 2013 not the 1950's when I would walk around with a broken gun and a bag of game and the only thing the neighbours were interested in was if they could have a share.

It is very simple, illiterately makes it hard to read the letter of the law. Since you feel the need to announce you chosen profession you should represent yourself in a manner than is indicative of your ability to carry it out in a professional manner.

Pot.....Kettle... You or Your.

The whole point was the officer was wrong and unless a complaint is made the officer will continue to give bad advice.

Also on your point of police telling fibs, well take it from one who went through 4 months of hell because two tits a sgt and pc lied to get my weapons removed, to date the police will still not release the email that was sent stating i was violent aggressive and out of control, but then they were so thick they forgot about the recording of the 3 hours i was with them showing me being professional while being put under extreme pressure by them,3 out of 4 of my complaints were upheld the fourth of malicious communication was lost on a technicality as it was deemed the police email is a private system.

I have also been in a house in london while two met officers smashed a camera with pictures of them on and violently arrested a black male for doing no more than pointing at them while sitting on his couch,i refused to give evidence for the officers when it went to court,

I have been threatened by a officer in mid england because he believed my head cam was switched off,he threatened to smash my truck up if i didn't move it, and when i told him i had recorded what he said he left in a hurry leaving two wpc's on their own,He then tried to cover his butt by calling my office and complain about me, they told him to put it in writing,and as i had already contacted then about the officer they said they would use the evidence from the recording should it go to court,we never heard from him or his force again.

Or the sgt who rolled up after being called by his officers,shouting into the warehouse that i had 10 seconds to get the **** out of the building, oh how he became a totally different person when he saw the head cam and i asked him to repeat what he said.

There is more, but i am sure you get the gist that the police are not above lying to get their way.

That all said i have worked with hundreds of great officers who are a credit to their force, and have often got the Sheriff i work for to write in thanking the officers for their professionalism,i regularly call a control room and ask for my thanks to be passed to officers who have been out to assist me.

As i told the other dc on here this is just a forum and i don't hold a grudge,especially in my job.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on our views on this one.

Point well made Welsh. Good and bad in every walk of life. I am a big supporter of the police and have yet to come across something like this. A farmer friend lost his SGC because of an instance like this so I am aware that there are some bad uns out there.

firearms officer from doncaster has phoned me and said my lad has done nothing wrong and will be able to find the officers and have a word with them so hopefully it will all be sorted ,also told if he gets stopped again to tell them to contact him

Guys,

on a similar vein, this has got me thinking.......I live in Rural North Yorkshire and after a Clay Shoot we normally stop off at one of our local country pubs for a bite of lunch.

I always take my gun in with me in its slip as opposed to leaving it in the car. Am I doing something wrong legally?

I'm sure my FAO told me not to leave it in the car and take it with me if I stopped going to or from the Shooting Ground.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Best wishes,

DaFfY

Edited by LiTtLe YeLlOw DaFfOdIl

Guys,

on a similar vein, this has got me thinking.......I live in Rural North Yorkshire and after a Clay Shoot we normally stop off at one of our local country pubs for a bite of lunch.

I always take my gun in with me in its slip as opposed to leaving it in the car. Am I doing something wrong legally?

I'm sure my FAO told me not to leave it in the car and take it with me if I stopped going to or from the Shooting Ground.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Best wishes,

DaFfY

Nothing wrong with that at all so long as the landlord doesn't mind. I do most of my shooting in North Yorkshire and my guns are never in there slip regardless of where I am.

Nothing wrong with that at all so long as the landlord doesn't mind. I do most of my shooting in North Yorkshire and my guns are never in there slip regardless of where I am.

Thanks Luckyshot,

I just started to doubt myself. No one has ever raised an eyebrow when my group go into a pub with our guns. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks. :-)

Best wishes,

DaFfY

PS Decent result from the OP. Good stuff. :-)

Edited by LiTtLe YeLlOw DaFfOdIl

i dont belive a gun has not got to be in a gun slip,if i walked up my street with the gun under my arm,how long befor the police come and take it.no way would i do that,

Believe what you like but that's the law.

Obviously, a little digression does not go amiss. Would I walk down Regents Street with an unsleeved shotgun, no but I do so most days down our lanes.

i dont belive a gun has not got to be in a gun slip,if i walked up my street with the gun under my arm,how long befor the police come and take it.no way would i do that,

Like as been said on this thread already, use your common sense you wouldn't carry an uncovered firearm in a busy shopping centre but I would and do carry an uncovered firearm in and around my permissions in North Yorkshire including walking into the local shop with nothing said.

Edited by Luckyshot

Believe what you like but that's the law.

Obviously, a little digression does not go amiss. Would I walk down Regents Street with an unsleeved shotgun, no but I do so most days down our lanes.

That said it probably happens a fair bit round st James's beretta gallery and William Evans on the same street with little or no parking!