Cable locks - for the car boot.....

simonix

I'm in a position where I quite often go shooting in the morning before driving straight to work for an evening shift.

I therefore think it would've wise to get a cable lock or something similar for securing my shotgun in the boot of my car.

I have now a few questions that I am hoping some people could help me with:

1. Is there a particular brand/design cable lock that PW members can reccomend?

2. Stupid question probably, but I guess you can only secure the cable through the trigger guard, yes?

3. Do you have o fix the cable lock to your car via a welded bracket or something?

1. This is the type you want. http://www.countrygunroom.co.uk/index.php/gun-security-cable-lock-jack-pyke.html

2. The trigger guard is where the cable is attached to.

3. Just attach it to part of the chassis/frame.

Fair comment and ANY additional level of security will help :yes::good: , but those locks are a joke and can be undone in seconds with a paper clip, admittedly time will be a concern and as I say any additional security can help! :good:

Fair comment and ANY additional level of security will help :yes::good: , but those locks are a joke and can be undone in seconds with a paper clip, admittedly time will be a concern and as I say any additional security can help! :good:

I agree that the locks are not the best quality. There are dearer ones on the market. A determined thief will disable any lock, but that would take time. I think the locks are okay for stopping anyone just grabbing your firearm from your car.

I use a bike cable lock through the guard and through a lashing point in the boot, as said it wouldn't stop a determined thief but would slow them down a bit.

Alternatively if the gun is an OU you can take part into work in a holdall - have a word with a manager first, mine is fine with this and I just leave the barrels in the boot :good:

Thanks for the advice guys.

The gun is an o/u, but my manager doesn't like the idea of guns being on site at work (even parts of!).

At the end of the day, as people have already said, if someone really wants to steal something, they will regardless of what security measures (that gun shop robbery in wellingborough recently springs to mind!) It's just trying to make it as difficult for them as possible.

I'm also thinking that one of these cable lock things might show good "responsibility" should I get stopped by the police and have the car searched?!

What gun? There was a device called the "chamber lock" which looked good, a cable through barrel of OU and kept separate from stock, or through a semi and out of ejection port will work.

The chamber locks were very good - I have two sets called Barrelbloc. You put them in the chambers and they are expanded to grip tightly using a Bramah type lock key fitted to a torque limiting handle to prevent overtightening. There were however a number of problems;

1. As far as I know they were only available in 12 bore
  2. The UK police never recognised them (though I guess having them fitted would contribute to 'taking all practical security measures....')
  3. They were expensive
  4. They were USA sourced (I think) and the UK agent was a small outfit who were very helpful, but seemed to struggle to get spares and accessories. I ordered some cases - and I think it took a year to get them
  5. I don't believe they are available any more.

When I have to leave a car unattended, I use these and a trigger lock (Napier) - the put the gun in a Peli case (http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/product/peli-1700-case/) with padlocks and a steel cable through either rings in the car boot (if fitted) some metal part through which you can thread a cable or the spare wheel if nothing else can be found. All this is a real pain, BUT, the gun cannot easily be taken, and if it is taken, it cannot easily be used. I also take any ammunition I am carrying in a locked steel box if it is to be left in a car. I have heard of cases where things have come to court - and the more security measures you can demonstrate that you took, the better your case.

I use a Napier protector 2 secure with a bike lock through the hasp to load point when travelling would certainly stop a smash a grab attempt but bolt cropper would cut the lashing point in one chop. The Napier slip is still available £100 ish + £20 for a decent bike lock....

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, however I have been looking into this for my car. As above and sometimes when travelling, it would be nice to keep my gun in the car after a morning shoot or to take away with me for some shooting. I was wondering:

• Is there a way to put a trigger lock and a cable lock on to my O/U at the same time?
  • I like the idea of taking the Forend off the gun, however my worry is that I will end up scratching/damaging it. Are there any products out there such as forend protectors? (and before anyone suggests giving it that "used" look, I treat my shotgun like I treat my car, and I spend hrs cleaning and polishing it :yes: )
  • Also if I take the Cartridges into wherever I am staying will that be sufficient, I am guessing these can be stored out of site in a bag overnight?

Any other sensible suggestions would be great, but money is an object as I have just spent a fortune on lockers, cleaning kits and of course the gun itself :)

If staying away leave barrels and forend in boot cable lock through barrels, stock and action in bag/suitcase with trigger lock, belt and braces.........

There was a product called "chamberlock" don't think you can still get it but ideal.

Edited by HDAV

There are various Peli cases such as this http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/product/peli-1060-micro-case/ that might do. Well made and tough, but not cheap, but would protect from most conceivable damage

Like the look of these, although very pricey. Have to keep an eye out for similar products, and measure up the Forend to check it will fit

Remove the forend or something as if you car gets stolen I bet they say your arrangements were not reasonable

Yep I intend to take forend off

If staying away leave barrels and forend in boot cable lock through barrels, stock and action in bag/suitcase with trigger lock, belt and braces.........

There was a product called "chamberlock" don't think you can still get it but ideal.I

I have been looking for Chamberlocks but can't seem to find them. I just want to make sure I have covered myself, in the unlikely event (touch wood) that the car gets nicked/ broken into.

go to b&q and look for a master python cable lock they are very good for the money and when were at hotels before a shoot i pass it through my barrel and lock it to the bath handle in the bathroom then just remove the foreend and leave in the car.

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/15549656210121625176?q=master+cable+lock&safe=active&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.iiOPisWRDb4.O&tch=3&ech=1&psi=EuX6UqmJHMSatQbIpoGABg.1392174378533.1&wrapid=tlif139217437853310&ei=KuX6UqGxMMe9ygPfvIIY&ved=0CHUQpiswAA

1. This is the type you want. http://www.countrygunroom.co.uk/index.php/gun-security-cable-lock-jack-pyke.html

2. The trigger guard is where the cable is attached to.

3. Just attach it to part of the chassis/frame.

Gun in hard case .... Use motorbike cable wrapped around case handle and attached to Luggage fixtures in boot of car with padlocks .... Aldi long shackle alarmed padlock over case handle.