Over and Under for Fowling

Grandalf

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if that's were he meant. Almost mid Wales , great Sea Trout water! Must be a pig of a drive

At least everyone knows where I meant - all down to pronounciation - I apologise for being English and taking money to Wales!

I did take the auto and it got soaking wet and covered in Mud - so my vote is for the auto when weather is naff and an over under when it is fine

At least everyone knows where I meant - all down to pronounciation - I apologise for being English and taking money to Wales!

I did take the auto and it got soaking wet and covered in Mud - so my vote is for the auto when weather is naff and an over under when it is fine

See my post about the one in the Solway gun shop ? :)

post-21002-0-31097400-1382353915_thumb.jpghad mine some years now great gun get a set of briely chokes for the steel shot and you will never look back duck geese and pigeons have all have all loved the como finish even shot walked up grouse with mine last week and they loved it too :)

well.......... I tried a Browning 30" 12g wildfowler today (in cammo) and have to say it was superb..... now know what I want for xmas!!

attachicon.gif011.JPGhad mine some years now great gun get a set of briely chokes for the steel shot and you will never look back duck geese and pigeons have all have all loved the como finish even shot walked up grouse with mine last week and they loved it too :)

It is next on my purchase list!!! I seem to get more and more fowling guns Nick! I have a load of CSB0 coming in this week if you are in need of any. Good solid sorce and at reasonable price of £25 a KG

3 1/2" is only really need for BB (or above) steel when pellet count gets low. I load 37g of steel in a 3" and 39g in a 3 1/2" which is very little between them

2 grams to be precise and that's not a lot of big pellets, depends what speeds you can get and how the individual gun patterns though. Like I say I no longer see much point viewed against the downsides

I am really finding little advantage over the 3" for the recoil price paid, shot size and speed being equal that is. Find myself not bothering taking 3 1/2" shells out more and more

I agree with that I have a Berretta a400 extreme which I bought recently that handles 3.5 " very well for recoil but I cant see me keeping it my old 1970s Winchester waterfowl shoots fast 36g steel 1's brilliantly (patterns as good if not better) than the a400 with the 1's and it goes through the factory full chokes with no adverse affects so they never comes out of the gun.

I can switch to 1 7/8th itm 4.0mm instantly for anything rangey but to be honest the 4.0mm steel does the business and is used for both ducks and geese I have used this combination for a few years now with good results the gun is a 32" waterfowl and weighs well over 8lbs

Last winter I switched to an over and under for my fowling from an SBE2, because when I shoot fowl and game every time I switched from the auto to o/u my cartridge to kills would drop for a couple of flights, so I bought a 3" beretta OU had the stock matched to my game gun, had an Isis recoil reducer then the gun dipped by HydroGraphics, my cartridge to kills went up and I never suffered the performance drop when I switched to my game gun, if I go for geese I use homeloaded 42gm hevishot 2's if there more than 35 yards if not it's steel 1's, for duck I use steel 3's and never feel under gunned. I've not missed the 3rd shot as I generally only used it as a cripple stopper. The HydroGraphics dip has lasted well, following advice I had the rubber type coating added and it was £20 well spent, with the Isis reducer I don't notice increased recoil post-60602-0-54509000-1382681757_thumb.jpg