1 for the rat shooters

eccles

Quick 1 what do you find best for shooting rats 177 or 22.

Been watching videos on youtube looks like good fun,thinking of getting a new set up for the job. NV rifle etc only got my Daystate FAC and that will be to powerful for the job. Its something i could do easy with my bad back no bloody walking. :lol: With these long dark nights be something to do on wet nights.

I find my rapid .22 great on the rats at night /or day lol . seen 177 go straight trou rats and they run off.

But different people like both for rats, i think 22lr on rats is ok where either its distant shooting / or very safe backstop shooting ( i'd be very scared or ricochets, around farms and a bit too close for 22lr )

But hey ho if you got the right place to use the 22lr, it would be devastating. I cant get enough night rat shooting, i LUVS it lol traveled 100's miles for heavy infested rat places.

Good luck Eccles it gets you hooked mind lol

generalisations

Either will do the job, but a .25 at 12ft lb is a magic rat tool in many situations.

.177 will tend to over penetrate unless you pick your shot and are accurate, .22 is more forgiving and may deliver more energy.

Few rat situations will demand FAC Air, and VERY few .22lr, although close range .22lr or .22WMR shotshell "can" have its uses on rat.

:good:

i found two many ran of with either air rifle .177 or .22. 12flb changed to my .22lr best night 100+ most grain stores have either concreat ore sleepers for back stop thats the main prob with .22lr safety first :good: F.A.C. air rifle should do the job.

you were not hitting them in the head then!,hit them in the head with any calibre and they will be dead,

andrew

I have shot thousands of Rats on pig farms and I use Night Vision and .22 hollow points.

The gun is PCP running at 11.8 ftlb. I shoot out to 35 yds with that gun.

Pigeons and Crows i use .177 PCP running at 11.8 ftlb. RWS Superdomes or hollow points. Out to 50 yds.

I use .25 cal for inside barns and pig pens. .25 cal PCP running just under 12 ftlb it hits like a sledgehammer.

For bait that will bring Rats out I use Bread crumb. Nuttela. Chocolate. But best of all is a hot Cornish Pasty.

The smell brings them in of the fields. Best night ever was 160 Rats in 6 hours. Great Fun.

I always shoot them in the head between the eye and the ear they always drop stone dead.

Shot placement is everything only ever had one that ran. It moved just has I pulled the trigger.

The pellet went in one eye and out the other. It was jumping and squealing about till i could finish it.

Good shot placement and .177 cal .22 cal .25 cal will all do the job.

.177 Cal is the flattest trajectory and with hollow points very efficient on Rats.

.22 Cal Is a very good all rounder accurate and hard hitting.

.25 Cal is very good and hits like a sledgehammer but it does suffer bad pellet drop after 25 yds but the pellets are 27 grain. But at close range 15 to 25 yds they make one hell of a mess on rats.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

I have shot thousands of Rats on pig farms and I use Night Vision and .22 hollow points.

The gun is PCP running at 11.8 ftlb. I shoot out to 35 yds with that gun.

Pigeons and Crows i use .177 PCP running at 11.8 ftlb. RWS Superdomes or hollow points. Out to 50 yds.

I use .25 cal for inside barns and pig pens. .25 cal PCP running just under 12 ftlb it hits like a sledgehammer.

For bait that will bring Rats out I use Bread crumb. Nuttela. Chocolate. But best of all is a hot Cornish Pasty.

The smell brings them in of the fields. Best night ever was 160 Rats in 6 hours. Great Fun.

I always shoot them in the head between the eye and the ear they always drop stone dead.

Shot placement is everything only ever had one that ran. It moved just has I pulled the trigger.

The pellet went in one eye and out the other. It was jumping and squealing about till i could finish it.

Good shot placement and .177 cal .22 cal .25 cal will all do the job.

.177 Cal is the flattest trajectory and with hollow points very efficient on Rats.

.22 Cal Is a very good all rounder accurate and hard hitting.

.25 Cal is very good and hits like a sledgehammer but it does suffer bad pellet drop after 25 yds but the pellets are 27 grain. But at close range 15 to 25 yds they make one hell of a mess on rats.

Thousands shot and only one runner. You must be a hell of a shot

If your looking for NV see EVO'S thread in DIY section .or pm me if your intrested in an NS50

ATB roger

Thanks for your replies chaps :good: yes iv'e seen Bobs NV very good. :yes: going to try my archer first but think it might be to good for rats,will then look at other nv . :good: Terry

Thanks for all your comments might try the Daystate first just to see if to much power will buy a 12lb rifle or a fac with different power settings atb Terry

Don't tell me you have mega rat shooting up there too Terry :cry1::cry1: Go on, you know you needed an excuse to trade the FAC Air Ranger up to an FAC Airwolf MCT, 36 ftlbs and 27ftlbs at the flick of a switch :yahoo: With Evo's NV your sorted :good::good:

Like many I really learnt to shoot a rifle on Rats. I use .22 and any shape of pellets that shoot well enough through the gun, doubt I have ever shot at a 35 yard rat in my entire life so any trajectory gain in .17 is very mute. Love to try a .25 but not if it was hard to feed.

Night vision for rat shooting? Not in my world :lol: I just leave a bit of light on so they get used to it or use a gunlight. If I wanted to lash out a K on kit I think my choices might be contractors with lots of blue food :yes:

ye as said over and over again,any caliber in the right place will drop them stone dead,ive used them all and think 22 is the best all rounder,good in fac but some places where you see rats you cant always let loose with one so 12ftlb is ok...what ever caliber its a top sport and one at the moment i don't realy do a lot of if i be honest ,cheers simon...

Like many I really learnt to shoot a rifle on Rats. I use .22 and any shape of pellets that shoot well enough through the gun, doubt I have ever shot at a 35 yard rat in my entire life so any trajectory gain in .17 is very mute. Love to try a .25 but not if it was hard to feed.

Night vision for rat shooting? Not in my world :lol: I just leave a bit of light on so they get used to it or use a gunlight. If I wanted to lash out a K on kit I think my choices might be contractors with lots of blue food :yes:

You might not Kent, as you are in danger of coming over as a complete tightwad :lol: but take a look at the kit Evo's made up, and is selling. He's put a phenomenal amount of r&d into it and if you speak nicely, it isn't anywhere near a grand, and its a cracking piece of kit :yes: But then you could save even more money and just use a spade.....n..whack 'em :lol::lol:

Edited by turbo33